Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Amp Sims Quality--Line 6 HD500 vs Yamaha THR10

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by SweetClyde99, Apr 24, 2017.

1. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    I was just wondering if anyone out there has directly compared the quality of the amp sims between the Line 6 HD500 and the Yamaha THR10. I'm sure the Line 6 wins in effects and flexibility, but I'm much more concerned with the quality of the sims themselves and how well they record through a simple DAW software.

If it makes any difference, I'm mostly looking for edge of breakup sounds and fairly hard rock sounds.

I have the HD500 now, and it took me a ton of tweaking to find a usable high gain tone (the JCM800 sim panned hard left and the SLO100 sim panned hard right, both amp sims boosted and tightened up by the tube screamer pedal sim). I found most of the models to sound really inorganic and unusable for my purposes.

I was hoping the THR10 might have a better base tone and be more usable across the board. I liked it well enough when I tried it in Guitar Center (the high gain model anyway), but I'm sure the internal spreaders sound a bit different than running the thing through USB and into a DAW system.

Any experience is appreciated, even if approached from a different music genre.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017

2. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    Anyone want to talk me into or out of buying a Yamaha THR10 (probably X) then? They seem pretty cool, but I'd probably be running it direct through USB most of the time and listening through my studio monitors or headphones. I'm not sure if it'd be any better than the Line 6 at that point.

3. Brian Dress

Brian Dress Tele-Meister

Mar 31, 2016
    Anaheim
    love my JCM800 model on the THR10 man. it cleans up nice too. noisy clip i think because of the ****ty single coil pickups

4. filtersweep

filtersweep Tele-Meister

Jul 27, 2011
    Norway
    I sold my HD500 and use S-Gear through a DAW. It is cheaper, better- and with a free trial. Of course you need to have an audio interface.

I had no workable results with the HD 500. Further, as a plug-in, with S-Gear, you actually record dry, and can tweak and re-amp all day long. Recording wet locks you in-- in a bad way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.