Amp Safari. San Francisco Edition

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by keithb7, Apr 24, 2019.

1. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

FFFC98E0-D1B1-4754-932E-0E2AE0A914A2.jpeg Another road trip with my son. We hit up Cali.

Bringing home, back to Canada, this little gem. 1954 5D2 Wide Panel Princeton. Needs a service. Electrics are original. Sounded darn good but...Doing the sound demo with original caps and death cap had me cringing a little.

Nice tone. Original Jensen 8” speaker. I see a switchable tone knob in my future. Nice and quiet!

I don’t too see many wide panel Princetons on the market. Seen here from my hotel.

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Wow! Congratulations! When it comes to amp adventures, you might truly be THE MOST INTERESTING MAN IN THE WORLD.

I love San Francisco, too. Enjoy it!

Nightclub Dwight and keithb7 like this.
  3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

nice, Keith,
    cant wait for the run down when you get home, keep us posted!

keithb7 likes this.
  4. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Holic

Keiths back!!

keithb7 likes this.
  5. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

I never left! Lol. I’ve just rolled the tone bleed knob down a little. Life’s so great! I have been doing so much. I have lots left to slay.

Ever since my first 5F2A clone build, the tweed litte monster has always held a reaervation in my heart. In addition to that, I have never owned a wide panel series Tweed amp. (Nor a TV front yet either. It’ll happen.)

So the Princeton is back. I’m pretty proud of my wide panel score.

JustABluesGuy and AlbertaGriff like this.
  6. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

From Real guitars?

7. Snfoilhat

Snfoilhat Tele-Holic

Welcome!

8. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's not Market Street in the background. What is it?

Nice amp too btw!

9. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Private deal. Found the seller via a FB group. We agreed to meet in person. My son and I, always up for an adventure, hit the road. 16 hours driving time 1 way. All thru the nite. We took turns driving.

I met another budding Fender amp goner. He reminded me of myself maybe 8 years ago. We spent 2 hours chatting and going thru amps. He owned and displayed a few beauty vintage Fenders to me. I shared a lot of my experience about vintage Fender tube amps. He turned on a zoom recorder to document everything I said so he could review my lessons later.

I walked him from milli-volts at the guitar pickups to the amp output stage.
    We taked gear. We talked Leo. We talked gigs. Bands. Set lists. 2 hours was not nearly enough.

I made another new friend I think. I’m sure we’ll be in touch again.

I left my 1959 5E3 with him. A good home. It was not hard to let go. I have many more amps to get through. I can’t keep ‘em all.

10. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dude, it woulda only added another 14 hours to loop back through Salt Lake!!! Say hi to your stalwart co-driver.

Seriously, that's a beauty, and I'm guessing something of a rarity. When you've recovered from the drive, I'm dying to see your restoration and report. Keep living well!!!

keithb7 likes this.
  11. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

@King Fan

Doc, I must say as we pointed the car south to Reno on Monday, I thought about SLC. The memories are the best. All the best to you and Mrs.

This 5D2 amp has good bones but its not all stock. Mostly cosmetic stuff has been compromised. Its been re-tweeded. Repro handle and slider feet. Incorrect rear panel screws. Missing tube chart. New grill cloth. The circuit looks good. Vintage tubes. Original electrics and e-caps. Although I did not pull the chassis to look at the business end that holds the trannies. Wiring looked original.
    It needs a service and a grounded plug. The cab appears original. Enitre chassis and guts too.

The price was right. I will go thru it. Get it rock-solid reliable and ready for regular use. Then I’ll consider a quality retweed with aged laquer. See if I can round up the right little hardware bits.

I set up a DAW home recording system recently. I look forward to some recording time with this Princeton. I’ve got a new AKG condenser mic arriving on my doorstep today. Rushing home now. Only 11 more hours to go! :eek:

telemnemonics, King Fan and Axis29 like this.
  12. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Congrats! What a great amp...I know you’ll get it happenin’...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Corner of Eddie & Larkin. Decent hotel. Neighbourhood? Yikes. Not so great. Let’s just say I covered up the amp with a pillow case and walked briskly with purpose past all the “dealer and users.” No, I don’t mean vintage amp dealers.

bender66 likes this.
  14. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

VERY COOL!
    Check out the logo with the E that looks like a backwards 3.
    I'm interested in when this was used.
    Before just now, I've only seen it on late 59-early 60 Princetons.
    So far, NONE of the, ahem, experts' websites mention this logo.
    001.JPG

keithb7 likes this.
  15. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

Got home from San Fran this morning. Kissed the wife and headed downstairs immediately with the 5D2. Got lost in a time warp playing around in Garage Band. I broke the biggest rule of NAD and plugged-in the unserviced 5D2. Straight into the wall! I was anxious to try a quick recording of it. My new AKG condenser mic arrived too while I was away. So I used it to record the resonator guitar. It's like Christmas over here today!

Justin Johnson inspired. Strat with CS '54 Pups straight into the 5D2. Volume about 6. The amp is so quiet.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    Alamo, jsnwhite619 and VWAmTele like this.
  16. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Swampalicious.
    So...does this one scratch the itch?
    I KNOW you had it!

17. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

Great city, great amp. I was in SF briefly in Feb. Hope to return next year.

18. keithb7

keithb7 Friend of Leo's

@charlie chitlin, Ya I itches all over. I’m not sure what this 5F2 does for my amp hives, exactly.

I like.

I like old Fenders.

I like old Fenders that I’ve never owned before.

I like old tweed Fenders I’ve never owned before.

I like old Tweed Fenders that I’ve never owned before, that I got for a fair price.

I like old tweed Fenders that I never owned before, that I got for a fair price, that I get to share with cool members here!

I think that final sentence, although it took a while to come together, says yes. It itches a scratch I’ve had.

Axis29 likes this.
  19. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Sounds really great - though you shouldn’t have plugged it in ! :eek:

Just kidding. I’m playing a gig Saturday with a 66 Ampeg that has never been serviced.

Roll the bones ! :lol:

20. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

Sounds great! I'm watching Justified on Netflix right now, and your track sounds like it should have been on the show! Congratulations -- waiting to see the recap and TLC results!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.