Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Amp question.

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Crobbins, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    I was looking at this amp on CL when I noticed the effects loop jumpered. Doesnt that indicate some sort of problem with the amp? Thanks..

[​IMG]

2. Lef T

Lef T Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2016
    Ontario Canada
    Not sure which models Mesa that is,but I don't see a problem.
    I know with the Mesa Mark l Reissue you can jumper the send like that to get more gain out of the amp.
    As you bring your send level up,you get more gain.
    I see that your amp pictured doesn't have a send level though.
    Ask the seller why he has it jumpered.

Jakedog and Crobbins like this.
  3. Crobbins

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    Thanks. It a .22 caliber models from the 80s.

4. William Pugh

William Pugh TDPRI Member

Mar 25, 2016
    Quebec
    Funny that you post about this today. Just last night I was reading another thread where someone wrote about the Peavey Valveking, suggesting jumpering the effects loop like this. I quote :

"Also, if you dont use effects in the loop, use a jumper cable between the send and return. I dont know why, but it has a profound effect on the amps tone."

I have no experience, but you might be able to trace the author of this quote on this thread to get some info, albeit about a differt amp model from a different manufacturer... (http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/peavey-valve-king-amp-opinions-please.493637/)

CalebAaron666 and Crobbins like this.
  5. Mutato

Mutato Tele-Meister

Sep 16, 2008
    Rhode Island
    I had a Vox ADVT60 amp given to me as a non functioning amp. Powered on fine and if you turned controls all the way up heard a faint sound of guitar. After cleaning all input jacks, it sprang to life when the effects loop jacks were cleaned. They tend to get dirty/corroded and then "fool" the amp into thinking some effects signal is going through, which there isn't. Hence a silent amp. After a few weeks, it cut out again, so I stuck a short cable to connect the in and out of effect loop. Works fine now.

I think that is the reason they did it on this amp.

Jakedog and Crobbins like this.
  6. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2015
    europe
    Yeah, if there is a problem, it's a problem with one of the jacks. Which isn't a huge problem.

Jakedog, codamedia and Crobbins like this.
  7. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I have a M/B Studio .22+. I've never jumpered the loop. I might have to try it.

Crobbins likes this.
  8. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Probably a case of, "I read it on the internet, so it must be true."
    But these jacks tend to be the special stereo kind, so that when nothing is plugged into them, they are supposed to connect to each other, maintaining the circuit. Over time they get bent out of shape, the contacts no longer touch each other with the same old feeling, and separation occurs. The easy fix is to leave a cable in the jacks so the connection is maintained with an even strain.

Crobbins likes this.
  9. CalebAaron666

CalebAaron666 Tele-Meister

Dec 2, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I was reading that exact thread last night!
    I actually jumpered mine today. I notice no difference, but it makes me look like I know stuff.

Crobbins likes this.
  10. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I would never be worried about that....

At the very most the shorting jacks are failing but the little patch cord is a safe and reliable solution. I wouldn't let a $5 jack stop me from buying an amp - and I probably wouldn't even replace it if I did buy it.

Crobbins and Jakedog like this.
  11. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the amp. Some amps provide a small but noticeable clean volume boost if you jumper the effects send and return sockets. My original '90s Roland BC-60 Blues Cube is just one example. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but it is definitely perceptible and I gather it can apply equally to solid state or valve (tube) amps.

Alternatively, as already mentioned, it's a way of getting around the problems caused by oxidised or corroded contacts in the switching jack sockets, which is a fairly common occurrence.

Either way, it certainly doesn't seem like a deal-killer to me.

Crobbins likes this.
  12. Crobbins

Jul 10, 2014
    Meiners Oaks CA.
    Thanks for all the input. I went ahead and bought the amp. Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.