Amp Maniac vs Amprx Brownie?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Hatfield92, May 21, 2019.

1. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

I have a trio of small (22w and below) vintage amps, as well as an Excelsior... and a 6g2 clone on order that will likely end up with NOS tubes.

I’m currently practicing with two groups on the verge of gigging, something I’m looking to do as much a possible. I’ve been reading up, and feel the need to protect my tools/investments.

As it stands now, I’m looking at ordering a Furman AC 215-A power conditioner and either the Amp Maniac or the Brownie. As best I can tell, they’re basically the same thing. Can anyone tell me whether one may be a better choice and, if so, why?

Please don’t respond with “just get a variac” ... I don’t want something that could damage the amp if I have a brain fart. I’m prone to those.

2. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Wish you luck.
    Those things are all over the place now (SPL reducer, tone kings, rock crushers, badcat)
    I think they are getting better.
    I used the DrZ lite that wasnt bad. Better than their big boy.

In a full band you might need that 6G2 cranked to keep up with drummers, imho.

3. Hatfield92

Hatfield92 Tele-Meister

It’s coming to me with a 12” Eminence Maverick. That should help control my volume to a great extent.

And if it turns out to be an issue with either group, I’ll use my ‘79 DR. With its Hempdog speaker, it’s considerably louder than my bandmate’s stock DRRI.

uriah1 likes this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Also the amp top box. The ox. FYI

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.