Amp in case?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by MBolanlovechild, Feb 19, 2012.

1. MBolanlovechild

MBolanlovechild TDPRI Member

I've been looking at old silvertones recently and the amp-in-case models really caught my eye..

[​IMG]

and I know Peavey have done the same thing,

[​IMG]

It's a cool concept, maybe with an external battery?

I've tried for looking for slim combo amps but that's unlikely to work unless I took it apart and reassembled it (which wouldn't be such a bad idea), although something in the diy zone of tube amps might be slim enough, or designed to fit in a box-style case.

I just like the idea that I could walk around anywhere, and at whim begin serenading.. of course I could do that with an acoustic, but I want my wooing attempts to travel several blocks. I need the long-distance coverage.. :(

An alternative would be to setup a couple simple stereo speakers and hook them up to a VOX Amplug.. but I can't imagine that sounding as good..

I've looked all over the net but I can't find any, perhaps DIY is the way to go?

2. TeleAnon

TeleAnon Tele-Meister

The guts of a Roland Micro-Cube don't amount to much substance.

All the parts would easily fit in the accessory area of guitar case.

Or:

[​IMG]

I sooooo wanted one of those Peavey cases.

3. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

I would just get a battery operated amp like a Vox DA 5 or what their newer one is or a Micro Cube or a Original Pig Nose and you would have a better amp more louder then the case ones I would bet and they are made to put like a guitar strap on them to sling over your back for travel.

4. StephaninMelb

StephaninMelb Banned

There is always the Jolana Big Beat or Wandre Bikini idea....

Attached Files:

5. Lowbassnotes

Lowbassnotes Friend of Leo's

Anybody remember Harry Perry the roller skating guitar guy? Curious what his setup was.....brand of skates he used would likely be included too? I'd like to see guitar skating as the next Olympic sport.

6. StephaninMelb

StephaninMelb Banned

Yamaha THR5 and THR10
    Modeling Guitar Amp with Ability to Run off Batteries for 8 Hours

I saw Yamaha THR5 and THR10 advertised in UK. You can get them new and used off eBay UK and Japan. There should be some International shipping deals from both those countries due to heavy traffic to USA. The THR5 and THR10 will shortly be introduced to North America.

The modelling tones are really really good. It will run off eight AA batteries for 8 hours or a power pak. Note this is a high-quality practice"bedroom" amp and not one you'd plug into a cab. Regardless it sounds nice. It has good computer connectivity via USB and come with software. It might also suit "home" recording.

They've probably hit the nail on the head as a home practice amp. Plug high quality headphones and wail away without bothering anyone. The ability to run off eight hours on batteries makes the amp super convenient to take it places like

• Beach
    • Picnics
    • Back Yard
    • Travelling
    • Out by the Pool
    • Boating
    • Inside a Vehicle
    • while traveling, to the beach or sit safely by a pool.

By the way it has an iPod input and can be used as an amp and stereo speakers for that purpose. The sound is top quality. Looks like the front grill lights up via some LEDs when powered on. I think it will also take iPod style input for "backing tracks."

Attached Files:

7. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Electro Harmonix 22 Caliber would easily fit in a case. add a speaker and the power supply and you're ready to go.
    22 freakin' Watts!

8. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Stephan, That is an option but the Vox and Roland Amps are better in price and the Vox has a mic input as well. I listened to the demo and it is ok but nothing really that the other amps have not already covered.

9. Robster

Robster Tele-Holic

I second the Vox DA5 on a guitar strap batteries last a long time and they can get pretty loud when turned up. 3 power settings, several amp models and mic channel too.

10. StephaninMelb

StephaninMelb Banned

Those Silvertone 1448/1449/1451/1452/1457 Amp in Case where pretty cool. They were designed Nathan Daniel and manufactured by his company Danelectro. They made the amps and guitars for Sears (Silvertone) and Montgomery Ward (Airline). Prior to that he made the Epiphone amplifiers from 1934 to 1946.

The only other company that did a guitar amp in case was Peavey with their T-15 guitar. It wasn't fully integrated like the Dano Silvertones amp in cases.

Attached Files:

11. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a Silvertone 1448 guitar but I don't have the amp case. It is a short scale guitar.

12. Alamo

I believe the OP wants the amp to fit in a guitar case - no extra luggage.
    as much as I love my very portable Vox DA5 - it is a bit overboard considering the original idea.

13. jh45gun

jh45gun Banned

Why sling it over your shoulder and your good to go. I cannot see how that would be a problem. Note he states
    Now I think he is being a bit optimistic with the several blocks scenario but a over the shoulder amp is gonna do that better then any guitar case amp.

14. Alamo

I take it the Silvertone amp-in-case was the intriguing bit which got him started. ;)
    How about this amp in case?

15. Joe-Bob

Joe-Bob Doctor of Teleocity

I've heard the Silvertone ones are dangerous to use.

Have you tried a Pignose? This is exactly what they were intended for. They may not fit in your case, but they will fit in your backpack.

16. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

I know of a guy that showed up at a gig with his Peavey T-15 and amp in the case. Opened it up and told the sound guy "mic this".:lol:

17. StephaninMelb

StephaninMelb Banned

Caution Notice Regarding Silvertone Model 1448 and Model 1451 Amp in Guitar Case Products

Silvertone Amps in Guitar Case product manufactured by Danelectro were produced in five different models: 1448/1449/1451/1452/1457.They were original packaged as a set with a matching guitar carrying the same model number.

All five amp in guitar case models will need 2-way power cords upgraded to 3-way power cables before they can be safely used.

Model 1448 and Model 1451 will Need Addition of Isolation Transformer

In addition the 1448 and 1451 amp models pose a shock risk without addition of an isolation transformer to isolate the B+ voltage. This part should typically cost less than $20.

Models 1448 and 1451 both used a transformer to convert mains to filament supply voltage and B+ voltage was provided directly from mains power "transformer-less" to a single 12AU6 (preamp gain), a single 50C5 (power tube) and a single 35W4 (rectifier) connected in series.

The circuit design in the 1448 & 1451 uses one 50v power tube, one 50v rectifier, and one 12v preamp tube and since the 50V + 50V + 12V = 112V (which equalled the old USA mains voltage). This design was "extremely" common with American radios, record players and some instrument amplifiers. With radios the user is isolated from shock hazard in that the chassis is inside a none-conductive case and these had non-conductive control knobs. With a guitar amp there is no isolation from shock hazard due to the direct connection via the guitar instrument cable.

These Model 1448 and 1451 amps with the serial voltage wiring (50+50+12=112 volts=line voltage) would not today make UL listing because of shock hazards. The reason this type of amp circuit design is dangerous, because the guitar is attached to the amp chassis ground via the instrument cable lead. This presents a real risk.

Issue of Guitar Amp Circuits without Power Transformers

• Power transformer-less circuits rectify mains voltage to the B+ tube voltage directly
      ......There is no isolate from mains in this design
    • Power transformer circuits isolate the mains AC from any amp circuits
    • There are amps that have a heater voltage transformer and then use a transformer-less circuit for the B+ tube voltage, such as the Models 1448 and 1451.
      ......These are dangerous designs
      ......Solution: add an isolation transformer (an extremely common proceedure)

Isolation Transformer

Simply a 1:1 transformer. The voltage that goes in comes out at the same level with isolation in the middle. The amp circuit gets voltage from the backside of the transformer and the circuit is isolated from the mains voltage. Using a isolation transformer causes the whole amp circuit to float and allows creating a "known" earthing of the amp chassis via the mains power cord. If your amp has a 3-way mains power lead and a power transformer you are safe even if the hot and neutral gets gets exchanged, but not if hot and ground get swapped .

Without Isolation Transformer

When the amp is powered on and with a transformer-less design it is not possible to count that the chassis is at earth potential (grounded). It could be at circuit common or at mains voltage above AC ground.

If you don't understand this overview by all means don't perform any work on your transformer-less guitar amps.

People get Neutral and Ground confused. In USA the majority of neutral and ground wires are connected together inside circuit breaker panels and for that reason neutral and ground are thought of as the same (ideally that would be true all the time). The issue is sometimes the ground - neutral interconnection isn't made and this poses a huge risk of electrical shock death or injury.

Model 1448

The Silvertone Model 1448 amp / guitar package first appeared in the Sears catalog in the Fall/Winter 1962 edition. The following is straight from the catalog description:
    .....Transformer is only used to convert mains for tube filament heaters
    .....Requires addition of isolation transformer
    Tubes
    .....1 x 12AU6 (Gain)
    .....1 x 50C5 (Power)
    .....1 x 35W4 (Rectifier)
    Power Output
    .....3W
    Controls
    .....Volume
    Speaker
    .....1 x 5"

Model 1449
    .....Released 1963, later renamed Model 1457
    Power transformer
    Tubes
    1 x 12AX7 (Gain)
    1 x 6V6GT (Power tube)
    1 x 12AX7 (Tremolo speed & strength)
    1 x 6X4 (Rectifier)
    Power Output
    .....5W
    Inputs
    .....2 (Hi / Lo)
    Controls
    .....Volume, tone, tremolo speed, tremolo strength
    Footswitch
    Speaker
    .....1 x 8"

Model 1451 (non-tremolo)
    .....Released 1966
    .....Based on prior model 1448
    .....Transformer is only used to convert mains for tube filament heaters
    .....Requires addition of isolation transformer
    Tubes
    Tubes
    .....1 x 12AU6 (Gain)
    .....1 x 50C5 (Power)
    .....1 x 35W4 (Rectifier)
    Power Output
    .....3W
    Inputs
    .....2 (Hi / Lo)
    Controls
    .....Volume
    1 x 5" speaker
    .....Speaker moved from amp enclosure side to opposite lid

Model 1452 (tremolo)
    .....Released 1966
    .....Based on prior model 1449 / 1457
    Tubes
    1 x 12AX7 (Gain)
    1 x 6V6GT (Power tube)
    1 x 12AX7 (Tremolo speed & strength)
    1 x 6X4 (Rectifier)
    Power Output
    .....5W
    Inputs
    .....2 (Hi / Lo)
    Controls
    .....Volume, tone, tremolo speed, tremolo strength
    Speaker
    .....1 x 8" speaker
    .....Speaker moved from amp enclosure side to opposite lid

Other Service Requirements for All Amp in Guitar Case Models
    • Swap out the electrolytic capacitors
    • Upgrade the 2-wire power cord to 3-wire
    • Remove the "death cap" if in circuit (bridges transformer supply)
    • Standard more than 30 years old maintenance (potentiometers, etc.)

18. StephaninMelb

StephaninMelb Banned

As explained above the Silvertone Models 1449, 1452 and 1457 are perfectly safe design.

The Models 1448 and 1451 pose a shock hazard and should be serviced by guitar tube amp technician to add an "isolation transformer." This is a fairly inexpensive part and quick service procedure. Since the Silvertone Amp in Guitar case are becoming valuable collector items it makes sense to pay for the safety upgrade.

All Silvertone Amp in Guitar Case products should receive a full standard tube guitar vintage amp service (as any 30+ tube amp would need before use), which typically includes replacing electrolytic caps, cleaning potentiometers and removing the so called "death capacitor." There are not many components inside these amp models for the service should be quick and easy. Schematics are available easily on the Internet. As long as service is performed all the Amp in Guitar Case models should continue to appreciate.

19. CoolBlueGlow

CoolBlueGlow Tele-Afflicted

Non isolated amps are fine! Table radios did this for years! The danger is way overblown! Hey, just as long as you're carefu

f;lajs dfvq..asdfasdf..s.asdkf.sd...asdfg.kasdtoqda........

(LATER)

Paramedic 1: "What do you think happened to him?

Paramedic 2: "I dunno...kinda looks like he was electrocuted playing this old guitar..."

Paramedic 1: "oh yeah...it's a Silvertone 1448"

hehe

CBG

20. printer2

printer2 Poster Extraordinaire

I was at a thrift shop and saw a case for a small brass instrument of some kind. Thought about picking it up to make a combo but decided against it. Now looking at one, might be another project in the works in my future soon.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.