Amp impedance question (Mesa studio 22)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by architele, Jun 16, 2019.

1. architele

architele Tele-Meister

816B5408-C287-446A-A684-B443A880E5EE.jpeg Help! My mesa studio 22 has a 4 ohm jack and an 8 ohm Jack. The internal speaker is 8 ohms, and I have an external cab with one 8 ohm speaker. How should I do this? Plug main into 8 ohm, external into 4? vice versa? Or find a way to plug into the 4 ohm with some kind of y speaker cable, if such a thing exists?

2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The manual isn't really clear, it says to use the 4 ohm jack if adding an extension speaker. What is confusing about this is that typically the output jacks are wired directly to the transformer taps, and it's bad to simultaneously use jacks for different impedances in that manner. However, Mesa may have used a switching jack that converts both jacks to 4 ohm when the labelled 4 ohm jack is used, meaning one 8 ohm speaker (or cab) in each jack. I would call Mesa directly and confirm things with them before trying anything, just to be safe. They're great about helping with stuff like this.

architele likes this.
  3. architele

architele Tele-Meister

Thanks Frodebro - great suggestion.

Frodebro likes this.
  4. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

That's curious. I had a Studio 22 in for work last year, and it had three speaker jacks - a single 8 ohm, and two 4 ohm. What are yours labeled?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

5. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had the 22caliber ver. Boogie said
    it felt confident on some mismatches but
    the tubes may not go as long.. fyi
    boogi.JPG

Wally likes this.
  6. architele

architele Tele-Meister

I wish my external cab had two jacks as you show but it just has a single input jack

uriah1 likes this.
  7. architele

architele Tele-Meister

I think you had the studio 22+. Mine is plain old studio 22

8. clintj

clintj Friend of Leo's

You're right. I dug through my repair picture archive to find it, and it was a 22+.

Someone handy with a soldering iron could make you a parallel "Y" adapter using speaker cable. Then, you could run both in parallel from the 4 ohm jack. Most of those splitters I've seen are 22 or 24ga instrument cable.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Wally likes this.
  9. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

10. Rowdyman

Rowdyman Tele-Meister

Mesa's wording on this situation has always been confusing.

The best way to be sure is to wire the two, 8 ohm speakers in parallel and run them from the 4 ohm jack.

That's what I do, anyway.. Good Luck! RM

Frodebro likes this.
  11. hamerfan

hamerfan TDPRI Member

Not that hard to convert a studio 22 to a plus - just change a resistor to a pot and resistor. I did that 20 years ago with a friend's amp.

12. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

The point of the .22 is a gig worthy, small, lightweight, portable amp that does clean and overdriven.

Why plug it into an extension cab ?

13. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

That's the point to *you* - but others look at amps like that as a mid-powered amp that's easily overdriven for club work.

But adding an extension speaker can be very useful -

I do it with similar amps to get better dispersion in a larger club (if not mic'd), for better sound balance on the stage, or to be heard by players across a large stage.

IT has nothing to do with small. light, clean or overdriven. it has to do with sound balance or helping control band "tightness".

Wally likes this.
  14. Wally

I hav not made a comparative study of the two amps, but there is one big difference between the two models. The OT in the schematic app shows two independent taps that cannot be used at the same number ime. The Plus model schematic shows an OT that has three jacks which in a somewhat standard Boogie fashion allows for a single 8 ohm load in one jack or an option of running two 8 ohm loads through the other two jacks which work on a 4 ohm tap....while not using the 8 ohm tap’s jack.

https://el34world.com/charts/Schematics/files/Mesa_boogie/Boogie_22calplus.pdf

So, the plus model allows for a simple route for running two cabs at one time.

15. architele

architele Tele-Meister

Is that as simple as it sounds? A
    Without getting into a long response, I’m a gigging musician who does a lot of Fill-in work, And the extra oomph can come in handy sometimes. I. E. The studio 22 comes in to the gig, and if I realize halfway through that I need at the small extension cabinet is waiting in the trunk of the car

TelePunkJCM likes this.
  16. architele

architele Tele-Meister

Would this work? I’ve taken a speaker harness with a female end and plugged in to the open tabs on the 8 ohm internal speaker, which is plugged into the 4ohm output from the amp. Then, making sure +s and -s are coordinated, a speaker cable runs from the female end to the speaker input on the external cab, which also contains an 8 ohm speaker. No comments on the technology here - please, I know it’s Rube Goldberg as shown, and I obviously wouldn’t play gigs with wires hanging loose like this, but in principle would this wiring do the trick? If so I can put together a more permanent version EC568885-9150-4D43-889A-FE0E5611014C.jpeg

Wally likes this.
  17. architele

architele Tele-Meister

By the way I appreciate everyone’s patience. As you can see I clearly have no aspirations to being an amp tech. I just need help figuring this out from people much smarter than me regarding this stuff.

18. Wally

That works, archtele.

19. architele

architele Tele-Meister

Thanks so much Wally.

20. Wally

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.