Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Amp For 1969 Tele: BFDR or BFVR?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by rootsnblues, Nov 9, 2007.

1. rootsnblues

rootsnblues Tele-Meister

I can't decide between a mid 60's, lively and bright Deluxe Reverb or a fat and spongy Vibrolux Reverb-they blow me away and I can't buy afford to buy them both!!! Needs are for playing small to medium size venues and recording clean to crunch tracks. I know this is very subjective-just for fun, please tell me what you love about yours-thanks!

2. Timo

Timo TDPRI Member

I have a DRRI that sounds good with my tele- but what I like even better is my new 57 Deluxe Reissue- now that's a thick and smooth sound. Never played a Vibrolux Reverb.

3. Brudr

Brudr Tele-Meister

To quote John Hiatt's song "Memphis In The Meantime".......
    "Sometimes I just gotta hear a Telecaster through a Vibrolux turned up to ten" :D

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Tele295

Tele295 Poster Extraordinaire

Tough call, but I'd go for the Vibrolux! I love that fat sponginess. Plus, lcick on the bright switch and it's Bakersfield for days. That amp with a Tele or Esquire does it all.

I've found that the VR is just about the perfect size amp for any venue. I've played quiet coffeehouses to outdoor BBQs for hundreds of people, and it's always just right. If I ever needed more amp, like a stadium or something, I'd just mic it.

6. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Buy one now and then get the other one later.

7. djinn1973

djinn1973 Tele-Meister

Have some one else play through them, and see which one catches your ear

8. nonvintage

nonvintage Tele-Holic

For the price of a Blackface, get 1 Silverface DR and 1 SFVR and have $ left over.

9. quackerz

quackerz Tele-Afflicted

+1!!! My SFDR sounds every bit as good as my BFDR ever did and probably even better due to a finer choice of speaker and tubes.

10. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity

Get a Princeton Reverb and mic it up. PR's are versatile amps.

GomezAmps.com makes GVerbs which have the PR soul - otherwise, go for used SF Princeton Reverbs.

If micing is not a regular possibility, you're screwed since both DR's and VR's are both so cool sounding at that volume level that it will be too hard for ANYBODY to decide on! HAHAHA

11. austintele

austintele Tele-Afflicted

I'd get the deluxe. I like the sound of one speaker amps, don't like bright switches, and it's easier to carry.

You really can not go wrong with either

12. J_Lee

J_Lee TDPRI Member

Both great amps. I played gigs through a 1965 BFVR for several years and loved it. I now play through a 1964 BFDR because I don't need as much volume and it is lighter. These amps are both so good sounding that it mainly depends how much volume you need, and whether you like 2 10" speakers or 1 12". I have also found that each VR and DR can have its own sound, often depending on which speaker(s) it has, so you do have to listen to the specific amp you are interested in. For volume, these days you can usually mic an amp, so it is not so much of an issue. I also have found Princeton reverbs to be outstanding.

13. Califiddler

Califiddler Friend of Leo's

The DR vs. VR question is what has gotten me thinking about an Allen Encore. I haven't heard any Allen amps, but they're supposed to really nail the BF tone. In the Encore, by switching rectifier and power tubes and adjusting the bias with bias adjustment controls you can switch from 22W to 35W. Other than having to choose one speaker configuration, you have a BFDR and a BFVR in one amp, for less than either a real BFDR or BFVR would cost.

You can do the same thing in an Allen Accomplice without changing the rectifier tube, but the Accomplice does not have tremolo/vibrato.

14. pbenn

pbenn Tele-Afflicted

The DR vs VR question also involves comparing a 6V6 sound with a 6L6 sound. Is this comparing apples and oranges?

15. tweeddeluxe

tweeddeluxe Tele-Afflicted

More like comparing Fuji to Gala apples, imo.

tom

16. rootsnblues

rootsnblues Tele-Meister

Thanks for the comments. I ended up getting the '64 BFDR. My ears couldn't decide so I listened to my back and my wallet!

17. Danocaster

Danocaster Tele-Holic

i have a great '64 BFDR and a great '66 BFVR - if i HAD to choose, I'd take the Vibrolux

but i would still cry at losing the deluxe:mad:

18. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity

Even though I own a BFDR, I'm going to say get the Vibrolux. A little more power, a little brighter if you need it. Two ten's and a Tele just go together in my mind.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.