Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Amp feeds uncontrollable

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by DucDone, Jun 12, 2018.

1. DucDone

DucDone TDPRI Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Bergen
    No, the build is not ok, I have gone over it many times, I have also checked the voltages and they are, maybe a bit high, but within limits. I suspect that there might be some issues withe the trafos to close or the leads not going in the best ways, so I'll go through that now.

But thanks, much appreciated...

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Pictures might help someone to espy a problem????

3. dan40

dan40 Tele-Holic

Aug 19, 2015
    Richmond Va
    Do you have the bypass capacitor that goes over the power tube cathode resistor installed correctly...negative end to ground? Be sure that this one and all others in the preamp are correct.

4. DucDone

DucDone TDPRI Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Bergen
    Hi, just letting you know I found the problem. I changed the volumepot and resoldered a capacitor on the board. Works fine now, barely audible that it's on. Thanks for all help.

5. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Sep 13, 2008
    Lansing, MI
    Glad you were able to track it down!

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Glad you got it working, but for future reference -

You should have STOPPED right here. Nothing else should have been checked until you did a complete voltage chart an d everything was within tolerance. You were confusing yourself and everyone else trying to do other things when one basic voltage measurement was *zero*.

You posted this after saying the cathode read zero - so what changed, and what was the NEW reading, and how did it compare to the specified voltage?

It sounds like it's not working fine. What is "barely audible"? If you still have hum is it constant no matter where the volume control is set; is it the same with and without an instrument plugged in? Have you changed cables (and guitars) to compare the difference?

My point is this - you got the amp working but don't really know why/how if you randomly resoldered "a capacitor" - and why did you change the volume control? You will likely continue to have problems with this and any other amps you work on until you understand the *why* and *how* of what got this one working.

If you do know the specifics it would be helpful if you posted them. Then others can learn from the problem. As-is nobody has any idea what actually happened.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.