Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Amp Build Question

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by LeroyBlues, Jan 28, 2013.

1. LeroyBlues

LeroyBlues Tele-Holic

I'm not very familiar with all of the features of fender amps and need some help.
    I've built a 5f1 and a 5e3 and would now like to build a model that has reverb. I thought about the Deluxe Reverb, ab763, but I have no interest in having vibrato. Are there any models that are are somewhat similar to the ab763 that have reverb without the vib?

Thanks. I'm off to work, so I'll check back later today.

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

AB763 has a "spare" tube section that was always used for trem.

There were '60s Fenders with reverb and trem, '60s Fenders with just trem but not '60s Fenders with just reverb.

Allen Amps does reverb with no trem. Kits are on sale this month.

http://allenamps.com/

3. CraigB

CraigB Tele-Holic

Sweet Spot looks like a cool model to build. + Dave is really nice to deal with.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. onenotetom

onenotetom Tele-Afflicted

6. LeroyBlues

LeroyBlues Tele-Holic

Thanks all for your responses.

I'm a dyi guy and the kits a not my thing. I may go the route that you are taking tom.

7. onenotetom

I hope that you decide to do your own thing! If so, please keep us up to date as to what you are designing/building. I have pretty much decided to take the DR circuit and remove the normal channel and vibrato. Am in the slow process of putting my parts list together. Hoffman sells pre-drilled boards for this if you do not want to drill your own holes.

8. Jebrone Lames

Jebrone Lames Banned

Have you tried a reverb pedal with you amps?

9. onenotetom

We are talking about designing and building our own amps which may not be the most logical approach to getting good sound. Since I am not being logical I might as well design and build what I want.

If pedals were the answer everyone would be playing simple solid state amps. Fender could simplify their product line to the Frontman models. Oh wait, most of those have reverb.

10. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

It's actually quite logical. You want what you want and that's how you get it.

11. LeroyBlues

LeroyBlues Tele-Holic

Yeah, I have a nice Boss Reverb pedal. It's cool. Just that I didn't build it. Building from the ground up is the fun part. The other fun part is trying to figure out why what you built isn't working the way you anticipated it would.

I looked at the DR option. Another option that I'm looking at is using the Bantom Bass as a starting point. I'd remove the bass circuit and add in a reverb circuit. Why? because it has Bass, Mid and Treble controls. I'd also add a Master Volume.

Basically I'd like a Blues Jr without the FAT switch, but hand wired.

12. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Poster Extraordinaire

If I was going to build a blackface style amp I'd skip the trem go with verb and build it like a Princeton without the useless normal channel. OR I'd put verb on both channels and hop up the normal channel. Now if you skip the trem that gives you a tube to mess with. Maybe a cathoad follower there for a tweed channel? But then I'd skip the BF all toghether and just build something tweed.

Amp building is an addiction by the way.:D

For a DR with out trem and the normal chanel you only need four preamp tubes. Two for verb one preamp and a long tail pair PI. Pretty simple amp to build on a trashed Bandmaster chassis or just bend one up on your own.

13. tubeswell

tubeswell Tele-Afflicted

Maybe consider building a PR circuit without the trem if you want a 6V6-based amp, or an Allen Old Flame circuit if you want a 6L6-based amp.

14. onenotetom

15. LeroyBlues

LeroyBlues Tele-Holic

So I've been messing around with a design. This isn't done yet by any means, but getting closer.

I basically have used Weber's 6A14 design and removed the Vibrato section. I moved parts around as I felt necessary to get the flow to my liking. I still have to finish the tone section. I put the power caps on the board like a 5e3 has, kinda like that. The parts not yet drawn are the transformer and switches, lamps. All basic stuff that I doubt I'll change much.

[​IMG]

16. onenotetom

Looks like you are heading in the right direction!

17. LeroyBlues

LeroyBlues Tele-Holic

Thanks. I've put a bit more time into it and drew the connections for the tone controls.

I've ended up with half a 12AX7 tube that's not needed on v4. On v2, the 12AT7, pins 1&6, 2&7 and 3&8 are connected. I'm not sure if this is to provide more amplification or just to connect both sides of the tube. I suspect it's for more amp but if not I could use that half of the tube and reduce the number of tubes by one. I've redrawn all the pin-outs from the valves toward this end and it works out well except for the fact that the Master Volume would still need one pin. I'll keep poking at it.

Also, I've been using several schematic for this and some of the values for caps and resistors vary from amp to amp, so I'll have to wing part of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.