Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

amp and gear questions searching for a Pearl Jam sound!!!

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by kfawns85, Jan 1, 2018.

1. kfawns85

kfawns85 TDPRI Member

Jan 1, 2018
    central Illinois
    Hey guys,

I had a few questions for you. My wife just gave me a Fender Telecaster Nashville Deluxe with the Tex Mex pickups for Christmas. I was completely stoked. It still had the stickers on the pickups and the pick guard. Which were very hard to take off. I am new to the electric guitar. Completely lost is a better way to describe it. I have played the acoustic for about 15 years now. But as I mentioned, I am lost. I am obsessed with Pearl Jam and have been my whole life. Especially the Ten album. That is the sound I am searching for. Along with my guitar my wife got me a Fender Champion 20 amp and a Cry Baby pedal. Do you guys have any recommendation for a newbie? As to how to achieve the PJ sound I am searching for? The local shops are too cool to help me out or it feels like I am wasting their time and won't give me the time of day. Any help on achieving that sound would be greatly appreciated!!!!! Do I need a different amp, pedals, etc?? Also, I don't want to break the bank searching for it either. Maybe 400 to 500 on an amp for home???

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!

Kyle

2. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2017
    transit lounge
    My recommendation is that chasing a studio produced sound at home is a bad use of time compared to learning to get close enough sounds with the gear you have and spending the time playing.

3. kfawns85

kfawns85 TDPRI Member

Jan 1, 2018
    central Illinois
    Is the gear I have(amp wise) a good start or would You recommend something different. I agree on chasing a studio sound. I am just looking for that style I should say. That 90s rock sound.

4. LooseJack

LooseJack Tele-Meister

Feb 4, 2017
    transit lounge
    Your amp has the ability to do a clean tone and a distorted tone.

Start there. Obviously with the distorted for the 90's rock.

Experiment. Find all the things your amp can do.

By the time you have exhausted all the tonal possibilities of your amp, you will have learned a lot.

Probably enough to have a better idea of what other amp you may want.

Flaneur likes this.

5. kfawns85

kfawns85 TDPRI Member

Jan 1, 2018
    central Illinois
    Thank you so much!!

6. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    Your wife just got you a pretty nice guitar and an amp and you're worried about the tones? Dude, focus on the fact that your wife is amazing! :)

Seriously, you have a guitar with fairly hot single coil pickups and an amp that can do clean or dirty. You're in a good place to get most of the tones you want. Pedals may come later, but you've got a great starting point.

RodeoTex and Owenmoney like this.

7. Gibsonsmu

Gibsonsmu Tele-Holic

May 7, 2015
    Texas

They have a whole video on this - love the internet. Check it out

8. connuchar

connuchar Tele-Meister

May 30, 2006
    phx az
    hello kfawns ,try youtube, you can find lessons for the tunes you like and maybe they might suggest an overdrive or fuzz that can get you near the sound that you are looking for. also youtube has a lot of live concerts and single tunes you could play along with

9. havlma1

havlma1 TDPRI Member

Jul 25, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Hi there, I'm also PJ fan, I'd say start searching your tone with Ibanez TubeScreamer or some its clone and some analog delay for giving the sound bit space. If you'll be jamming just alone, you need to use a different gear than Mike and Stone anyway, their gear sounds good in the band mix and you would jam alone. So you can't just copy what they use. Go after the similar sound with what you got :)

Keep on rocking' (in the free world)!

hellopike likes this.

10. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

Nov 12, 2014
    Watford, UK
    Find your own tone and enjoy!

11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I think the PJ sound is a Les Paul through a Marshall with a wah, isn't it? Cheapest you're gonna get close to that sound is about a thousand bucks, for an Epi Les Paul (not the cheap ones) or a PRS SE and a Blackstar HT Studio 20.

Having said that, you've got decent stuff to start out with. The Tex Mex pickups should give you some rock and roll growl. Get yourself a classic distortion pedal like a Boss DS-1 and you should get some authoritative crunch. Don't kid yourself though, you're never gonna get that deep bottom end like PJ without a crunchy tube amp, which costs $$$.

My advice is to use what you've got, figure out how to make it sound good for what it is and don't worry about sounding like someone else. Play, play a lot. And save up money for your next expenditure.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018

12. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    Suggested shopping list :

Dinner out with the wife for buying you such a spectacular present.

Look toward mini pedals from the likes of Mooer et al.

An overdrive
    A delay
    A reverb
    Maybe a compressor

Just pricing those up, I get to £120/$140 ( nice meal and a bottle of wine excluded )

Add in cabling ( don't skimp, but don't buy Unicorn tear infused wunderkabel either ) and an amp stand, you're now around the $200 mark.
    Sometimes, I hear chorus or a phaser going off too. They're icing though.

If you can get your head around them, multi-FX units can represent very good value too.

If you insist on a new amp, Boss Katana or Fender Mustang, but you can go a long way with what you've got. Leave the valves 'till later.

13. -Hawk-

-Hawk- Friend of Leo's

Oct 14, 2015
    IL, USA
    Champion 20 has onboard effects, right? If so, you may be able to get close with some listening and tweaking. Also, plugging a music player into the aux input will give you the ability to play along with backing tracks and recordings. As a tip - search "_______ backing track" in YouTube and you'll find cool stuff. There's a also a site called http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/ that may have some stuff.

If you're set on amp shopping, go for it and don't let anybody convince you otherwise. As far as pedals go, a Tubescreamer is a good start.

Vespa_One likes this.

14. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    Marshall amps were a big part of their distorted tone during that era, and there are plenty of overdrive/distortion pedals out there that can give you a good Marshall sound for not much money. I would set up your Champ for a good clean tone, and run something like this in front of it:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DKDH20E/?tag=tdpri-20

Or maybe

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LYIW3W/?tag=tdpri-20

Both of these pedals are emulating a Marshall JCM800 sort of tone, which as I understand it is what McCready was using for distortion around this time.

Joyo US Dream and Joyo Ultimate Drive both do different flavors of the Marshall tone pretty well for pretty cheap. I think any of these will be a good place to start while you learn more about honing your electric guitar tone.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    ricardo1912 and kfawns85 like this.

15. SweetClyde99

SweetClyde99 Tele-Holic

Feb 1, 2016
    Jefferson City, MO
    Then again, that version of the Champion is a modeling amp, so it’s probably got a high gain Marshall sim built in. I’ve never played one played one, but I’d start with the British voicing and see how close that can get.

16. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Meister

Aug 30, 2017
    USA
    Hello again fellow 10clubber. Glad you found TDPRI. I forgot to mention, we have this thing here where we need to see pics of your gear... it’s like it lets us guitar shop vicariously through you. So... no rush, when you get around to it. ;)

17. kfawns85

kfawns85 TDPRI Member

Jan 1, 2018
    central Illinois
    Thank you so much for the help. I am getting around to getting pictures uploaded of my gear!!!

18. kfawns85

kfawns85 TDPRI Member

Jan 1, 2018
    central Illinois
    Image.png
    I also have a Gibson J45 in Cobraburst finish that I rarely ever play. it stays in its case.

Chip and whoanelly15 like this.

19. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Oct 3, 2015
    Philadelphia
    From what I remember, in the days of TEN, mike mccready was mainly playing a ‘59 strat and stone gossard was a les Paul player. Eddie is the main Telecaster player, but he didn’t really start playing in the band till VS at the earliest. That being said, someone mentioned a tubescrramer- ts808 or ts9 would be helpful. Mike mccready was/is a big srv fan, and tube screamer was what he used.

Also, after TEN, look to The Who and how Pete Townsend did things- as Eddie Vedder took on a bigger role writing songs for Pearl Jam you can really hear the influence The Who has on his style. And if I am remembering from an old google search, Eddie Vedder’s sparkle black Telecaster has a Fralin p90 in the neck.

JDB2 likes this.

20. Ooba Tooba

Ooba Tooba Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Toledo Ohio USA
    F55B3E94-F1DD-4366-A345-CA47685FB2B2.jpeg
    /from the first time I seen Pearl Jam. Been hanging on the wall since the day after the show.
    You have a guitar, amp and wah. You’re already there. Just jam, and adjust knobs to taste. Also, kiss the wife.

hellopike and whoanelly15 like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.