Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Amp advice

Discussion in 'The BASS Place' started by CleanBoostCasey, Oct 21, 2018.

1. CleanBoostCasey

CleanBoostCasey TDPRI Member

Jul 30, 2018
    USA
    I "play" guitar, but I've been wanting a bass to change it up and maybe actually play with people. Not a lot of bassists around here. I have a friend that drums in a band and another friend who does the solo thing with original tunes played on a Strat through a Bassbreaker 15. Plays to crowds of maybe 100 tops and that's perfect to me. Lowkey, small gigs. They want to put a band together and want me to play bass since I've been talking about getting one. Think female fronted indie dream pop. I don't know how to describe it.

In the given description above, suggest a bass amp. Combo or head and cab. $500 limit for combo. Would go a little more for head and cab. Thanks.

C

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  2. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    check craigslist and the more power the better for bass in my experience

3. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    Bassman8 likes this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I used to use an older Peavey TNT 100 with a 15" Black Widow. Played quite a few "smaller" gigs with that....it never let me down.

cc50fralin likes this.
  5. erratick

erratick Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2013
    SoCal
    At $500 gigable, I'd go used. Craiglist.

Look for things like: Ampeg BA-115 (solid enough to gig), GK MB115 (as mentioned above), Fender Rumble.

You might be able to find those new or on Reverb at $500 and below.

You probably want 100W+, DI out, and some eq options.

Don't just limit to combo though, there was a bargain for a Genz-benz head recently on craigslist near me. You get a 2x10 bass cab or a 1x15 and that might be less than a combo for a great sound.

Avoid really old stuff unless you have a good tech, and I'm not a fan of acoustic (the brand). You can find some solid state SWR or Trace Elliot some times that is older, but the solid state stuff can be pretty reliable.

6. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    OR what about a octave pedal, like a Digitech Ricochet that tracks really well, or for ultimate versatility, a POG 2. Much cheaper, and won't even need to change instruments.

7. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2018
    Queens, NY
    Check out a Fender Rumble 200.

140 watts into a 15 inch speaker, which increases to 200 watts when you add a second cabinet.

Very light, and very good tone.

$499 at Sam Ash.

Probably the same at most other retailers.

I have a Rumble 40.

Very happy with it.

Mike

8. cc50fralin

cc50fralin Tele-Meister

Sep 5, 2018
    Queens, NY
    Oh, one thing I forgot to mention:

For the absolute best sound out of any amp, use an EQ pedal.

A year ago, I asked a sales guy in the Sam Ash, Manhattan store (Raymond) if an EQ pedal will help my sound. He recommended a Boss GEB-7 bass eq pedal, which I bought.

What it does, is make any bass sound its best, by giving you control over you bass' frequencies like you haven't imagined.

By leaving the EQ controls on your amp, and bass (if it's an active bass) neutral, and only using the controls on the pedal, you can fine tune your sound. I found that leaving the lowest frequency slider at neutral, you get rid of almost any boomyness your instrument has.

Then, start boosting the next six sliders to taste. Less is more, in my opinion.

Naturally, all instruments and pickups will vary, but I can't stress how an EQ pedal will improve you sound.

The Boss GEB-7, about $100. Worth every penny.

He also recommended the Empress Para EQ. It's a parametric eq, as opposed to the Boss, which is a graphic EQ.

The Empress is $250, but I've never used it.

Just wanted to pass this along.

Mike

Bassman8 likes this.
  9. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Plenty of good choices, eden, tech 21, tc electric.
    But don't fool yourself, you need 200 watts even against a 20 watt tube guitar amp.
    I'm currently digging 12" speakers for bass.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.