Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

AMERICIAN STANDARD TELE OR TEXAS HWY 1?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DONNIEDEE, Jan 3, 2018.

1. DONNIEDEE

DONNIEDEE TDPRI Member

WHICH TO BUY? NEED IMPUT... can get my hands on a fender americian standard tele with hard case like new for 850...... or a really nice fender texas hwy 1 tele with hard case for 500 which would you guys buy and why? and no I cant buy BOTH read a lot of great things about the texas hwy 1

2. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Well, on the one hand, the HWY 1 has a three saddle bridge and would leave enough $$$, compared to the American Standard, to get a fairly cool little tube amp! Best advice is to play them both and see which one grabs you most firmly by the short curlies! :D
    Just Sayin'
    Gene

Owenmoney likes this.
  3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Missoula, Montana
    What vintage AS? I have one of the last of the 2012-2016 models (belly cut, stamped steel saddles, twisted / broad pickups) and it's a killer guitar, ready to go out of the box. Seriously, I can't think of a thing I'd change about it.

4. Cazualwhiteguy

Cazualwhiteguy Tele-Meister

Feb 21, 2017
    Minneapolis, MN
    I much prefer the nitro finish on highway one models compared to fenders standard finishes.

5. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 21, 2004
    central ky
    i'd scare up some more cash and grab an American professional. they are killer good.

6. 41144

41144 Tele-Holic

Sep 5, 2017
    West Midlands
    Big Q for me would be ... do you like the Tex-Mex pickups or not and do you have a neck preference?
    Personally, presuming it's a 2008 to 2016 I'd much rather have the Am. Std pickups.

Will stand corrected on this but ... I think the Tex-Mex in the Highway series are not the same as the ones you can buy now from Fender, I understood them to be made outside of the USA?

con brio likes this.
  7. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    play both and don't judge based on the price, get the one that speaks to you, that's the only way ... more expensive doesn't necessarily mean better.

Lef T and Tim S like this.
  8. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    Play them both and see how they feel and sound.

9. HappyHwy1owner

HappyHwy1owner Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2011
    Independence, Mo
    Hot "vintage" pickups in the HWY1 Texas model

41144 likes this.
  10. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Texas HWY 1 for $500 is an absolute no-brainer. They usually sell for much more than that.
    The Texas is my favorite Tele model ever. IMO the best feeling neck Fender has ever made.

Texas HWY has a unique combination of features, vintage looks with a 12" radius fretboard.

big jimmy and boris bubbanov like this.
  11. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    HWY 1 Texas does not have TexMex. The pickups are available now as "Deluxe Drive".
    Hotter and smoother than TexMex, kind of P90 like sound.

con brio and 41144 like this.
  12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

First thing I would do, is educate myself enough verify that the guitar being advertised as a Highway One Texas Tele is, in fact, the Texas version of the Highway One range. Don't rely on the vendor - you needn't worry him with these details at all.

Texas means ash body, 21 fret neck, vintage tuning machines. The more pedestrian alder bodied 22 fret necked Highway One probably outnumbers its Texas cousin by something like 15 to one - it could be 25 to one. For $ 500, you might wanna buy whichever version you find at $ 500, but IMO we should find out first before we try to compare an American Standard to the Unknown Guitar.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

So, the pickups once called "Hot Vintage" are now called "Deluxe Drive"? Thanks, I didn't know that.

+

Full disclosure: I like the typical set of Tex Mexes better than these "Hot Vintages", once you affix a base plate to the bridge pickup it is IMO no contest.

14. DONNIEDEE

DONNIEDEE TDPRI Member

I have verified it as a fender hwy 1 Texas telecaster from all info from the fender site fret count ect. just seeig which guys would buy thanks

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  15. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    You're welcome, I learn a ton of stuff on these forums, plenty from you.
    I'm thinking Fender had some pickups left when they discontinued the HWY 1s.
    The "Deluxe Drive" Tele pickups are the Texas Telecaster pickups.

The "Deluxe Drive" Strat pickups are the Hot Alnico 3s that were installed in the post 2006. HWY 1 "upgrade Strats.

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/accessories/pickups/deluxe-drive-telecaster-pickups/0992223000.html

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/accessories/pickups/deluxe-drive-stratocaster-pickups/0992222000.html

16. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    My personal preference is the standard. I like the standards better than all the rest, in a Tele or a Strat.

17. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Dec 2, 2006
    NY
    Not sure about the rules, so I won't link to another forum.

But if you Google "Texas Telecaster review BT" you can find a thread where the designer of the Texas Tele pickups talks about them.

Edited: this thread quotes it.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/hot-vintage-pickups.217069/

tacensi likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.