Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

American vintage 58/64 vs elite

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by RottyDog, Sep 23, 2017.

1. RottyDog

RottyDog TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Sg
    Hi all, wondering which is higher or better grade as in more premium? As pricing about the same due to old stock.

Mainly concern playability of neck.

Cheers.

2. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Tele-Afflicted

Feb 26, 2017
    Manchester UK
    All i can say is that I prefer the bridge pickup in the 58 out of the 64 and 58

3. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I think the big deciding factor is the neck radius. The Elite has the compound radius. I don't particularly like that cause it transitions as you move up the fret board into a very Charvel, Ibanez, Jackson feeling thing. Flat, wide with a sharper feel to the edge of the board. If you like that more modern feel, playability and also binding on the body then the Elite might be your cup of tea.

As far as 58 vs. 64 goes. Do you prefer Maple over Rosewood?

I think once you sort that all out the answer will be easier.

Btw, I looked at all those before buying a Professional series with a Maple board. The guitar just arrived yesterday and I love it!

Crobbins likes this.

4. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    With the way Fender has laid out the price points of their lineup you really can't just go by price to call either of these two series "more premium/higher or better grade" than the other series. Both the AV and American Elite series live at the highest end of Fender's production line models. With the most recent price increases the American Elites are now virtually the same price as the AV series, but typically the AV series have been somewhat more expensive to produce than the American Elites - or at least Fender wants us to believe that is the case.

But they are "co-top-of-the-line" because the American Elites are the top "modern-spec" models, while the AVs are the top "vintage-spec" models. It's up to you to determine if you want modern specs or vintage specs - the necks will feel very, very different, and the pickups are very different as well.

5. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

AV58-D profile neck 7.25 radius maple

AV64-C profile neck 7.25 radius rosewood

AE-Compound radius 9.5-14 radius choice of maple or rosewood

The neck would probably be my deciding factor. I have a PV58 with the D profile and a 2016 Deluxe Nashville with a C profile 12" radius.

I like both, but have a way different feel between them. It just depends what your looking for. We maybe worlds apart on what we both like or willing to spend our money on.

All three selections are of good quality.

6. RottyDog

RottyDog TDPRI Member

Mar 7, 2017
    Sg
    Hey guys thanks alot for the input. Am wondering neck shape as well as only have experience on modern c, wondering AV D n C shape big difference with modern c.

Cheers.

7. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2011
    South Florida
    The Pro has a "deep C". In other words a chunkier "C" which fills the palm more. At least that's what it feels like to me. It's not quite as slim and sharp edged feeling as the modern "C". But not worlds apart either. It's your money but you are asking for an opinion so that's mine.

But out of the ones you mentioned I'd go with the Elite if the modern "C" is your thing.

8. Jason9

Jason9 NEW MEMBER!

Oct 4, 2017
    America
    I have no idea.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.