Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

American Standard Telecaster verses Squire Classic Vibe 50's?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by bazmusicman, Oct 6, 2017.

1. bazmusicman

bazmusicman Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2015
    london England.
    What makes the American Standard Tele worth a £1000 more than the Squire Classic Vibe?

I know its got Fender pick ups, better Tuners, Saddles etc. but a £1000 better?

I have a Squire Classic Vibe 50's and its a very nice guitar.

2. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    I had a 2011 Squier Classic Vibe 50's Tele with a sweet butterscotch finish and it played and sounded great, but my 2003 Fender AVRI '52 Tele sounded better, so the CV got sold.

Is the '52 a $1000 better? Well, that's difficult to say, but to me it's irreplaceable (and the CV obviously wasn't) so I suppose on my case the answer is more or less "yes", although I would like to add this one last thought:

If I had gotten the CV first, it's entirely possible that I may have stopped looking for another Tele and would most likely still have it to this day (it was that good)!

So I guess you'll have to take that for what it's worth...

'

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017

3. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I've read all the hype about CV being just as good as a USA Standard. Nah. I've played and held and examined several CV Teles and Strats and, while they are definitely good values, they don't touch the quality of the real deal.

I know it's quite popular to knock the guitar giants for their QC, especially Fender and Gibson, but the two products are well spaced apart in terms of quality. BTW, Fender now makes the Fender Professional, which is roughly $1,000 higher than the Squier CV and worth every penny. Maybe in UK that doesn't quite translate since 1000 pounds is worth more than $1000.

So the electronics are one thing. The neck is another. The USA neck has better finished frets and rolled edges. The tuners. The crappy pot metal saddles. It all adds up. The biggest difference is in the cost of the man hours. Not only cost of Asia vs USA but the number of hours.

Play them both and then tell me with a straight face you wouldn't pay up for the USA build in a cocaine heartbeat if you had it. If you don't have it, well that's why they make them at various price points.

SheldonP likes this.

4. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    I bought a 50's CV because it was just time for me to get a T-style guitar. It seemed to get good reviews and the price was right. Since then I've modded the guitar to my personal taste: Lollar CC neck pick up, Duncan QP bridge pick up, solderless wiring harness (was given to me--and has the ability to switch tone cap values with dip switches), new tuners (aesthetic thing), Wilkenson dual load bridge with compensated brass saddles (run it top loaded), and most recently a new MIM 50's classic neck (due to the fact that the price of it was equivalent to a needed refret).

Point is, I have a T-style guitar that suits my taste and approach to the instrument. If a particular off-the-shelf instrument meets those requirements for you and is within your budget, then that is the right guitar for you. I ultimately wanted a 50's style/looking tele, but with a warmer overall tone response for the type of music I play. I didn't feel that heavily modding a Custom Shop model was right for me--and I didn't have the money to do so at the time anyway.

If I was in the same position that got me to the CV tele now with more of a budget to spend, I'd still not go for a CS guitar, but rather a local builder of parts one together from scratch.

I don't look at it as, is this guitar $1k better than this? Or that?

If I ever decided to own a second tele, it'd probably be of an early 50's type model. And would heavily consider an AV '52 or CS nocaster. Those instruments check those boxes for me in that category of guitar. Again, when I bought the CV it was to get a T-type and mod it to a personal liking.

Do you want the AV'52 because of it's pedigree (says Fender), or because it's the right guitar feature wise for your style? Does the CV not do something for you that you'd expect any guitar to do? If so, you may have bought the wrong guitar.

Chicago Matt and jtelecaster62 like this.

5. moonman2

moonman2 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    No contest.
    The USA Tele wins - end of.
    That aside, things cost more in America - deal with it (or buy used)
    If the CV was made (to the the exact standard / quality) in America too; it would also cost a lot more than it does.

6. bazmusicman

bazmusicman Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2015
    london England.
    Thank you everybody for your thoughts on this subject. It just seemed like a lot more money to me.

Being left handed doesn't help either for trying different types!!
    I don't gig any more so an expensive guitar isn't important (although I could afford it), just wondered if the playability was better.

I know how to set up guitars, I've set up quite a few, even built a Strat so to me it isn't about being set up properly. I just wondered on the price difference thing!

Grux likes this.

7. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    For your requirements I'd say your CV will work out just fine..

rich815 likes this.

8. Grux

Grux Tele-Holic

Jan 10, 2017
    Clarksville, TN
    You are correct, it isn't much difference in them. Some people refuse to see how good the CV's actually are when they stare at their expensive nocaster reissue or AV or whatever else they paid for and hey thats ok.

Some people have more money to spend, and they will buy what others don't. As far as being $1000 of difference, in parts absolutely not. There isn't a qualifier for how much something is worth, worth is different for everyone.

bazmusicman and AxemanVR like this.

9. bazmusicman

bazmusicman Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2015
    london England.
    Thank you, yes the CV is just fine. I was just wondering if at 74 years old, I might have one last roll of the dice and treat myself!

hrstrat57 and tintag27 like this.

10. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    One thing to keep in mind (if important to you) is weight difference. Could be more than 2 lbs difference.

bazmusicman likes this.

11. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

the CV is better than fine - its an excellent guitar (IMHO) - "as good" as an Amer St. ? No ... Is the Am St "worth" the difference? well, as other have said, it's NOT an easy assessment - is it 3xs better? no, but "worth" the difference is going to totally be personal (sorry, not much help :))

rich815, bazmusicman and AxemanVR like this.

12. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    I realize you probably don't have a lot of leftys available to test so I think you're asking if it's worth taking a chance on ordering one, am I right?

If so, I'd say it's probably not worth it, just because it's such a hit or miss approach in your case.

But, if you get a chance to try some out in person I suppose that might give you the opportunity to see how yours stands up, and then you can decide if it's worth it of course...

Good Luck!

'

13. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Tele-Holic

May 29, 2016
    Kansas
    Exponential_limit.PNG

I think guitars follow a curve like this. Put cost on the x axis and quality on the y. I think in the first thousand dollars (from 0 to 1000) the quality jumps exponentially, but there is a limit. As you approach a certain point can a guitar really get that much better? I say no. You can play around with different woods, inlays, materials, and a ton of other things that make a guitar worth more or cost more but at a certain point the playability is as good as it will get. Most of my guitars are in the $500 to $1000 range and I like them really well. I play more expensive ones that I can say are definitely better, but not worth it for me personally due to the huge jump in price. I have a classic series 50s strat that I love to death, and while the American Elite might be one the best instruments I've ever played it wasn't $1000 better (again in my opinion) that my old daphne blue friend. So that's my 2 cents.

14. bonzo898

bonzo898 TDPRI Member

Sep 19, 2016
    Houston, TX

Played both, own the Am Std. Totally agree the first $1000 is the majority of the quality difference. Above that price point diminishing returns kick in big-time. The gently-used realm is the best intersection of quality and price. No contest between CV and Am STD in my opinion, but things get a bit more interesting between Am STD and Baja. That's a close one.

Steve Holt likes this.

15. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

Feb 5, 2012
    South Louisiana
    I buy used American Standard/Series because I feel that is where I get the most value.

ronzhd likes this.

16. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    '
    I freely admit that I am proud to own an American made Fender Telecaster, BUT, if it did not sound absolutely superior to something else I wouldn't keep it just for that reason.

I mentioned earlier that I sold my CV Tele because it didn't sound quite as good as my '52, but what I didn't mention was that I used to own two '52 Teles, the other one being a 2011 Fender AVRI '52 Telecaster...

Long story short:

I totally love the way my 2003 Fender AVRI '52 Tele plays and sounds but I can't say I totally love how it looks!

You see, it has what is sometimes appropriately referred to as Fender's ill-conceived "pumpkin orange" finish...

Apparently Fender tried to make their nitro butterscotch finish look "aged" by darkening it, but the tint turned out to have much less of the yellowish butterscotch appearance that most people associate with, ultimately ending up being far more orangish.

I've seen a few actual vintage Teles that leaned on the orange direction, but not as much as the reissues did back a few years ago.

Anyway, after a while it started to bug me so I decided to buy another Fender '52 reissue and this one was absolutely gorgeous! In fact, to me it had the quintessential butterscotch blonde finish!

Unfortunately it didn't quite have the sound to match its stunning beauty, with even the CV sounding better than it did.

I really really REALLY tried, but, alas, in the end I just couldn't bond with it and eventually it got sold as well.

My point?

I've truly learned to appreciate my sonically gifted but aesthetically challenged 2003 '52 Tele for what it is and I know in my heart I could never bear to part with it now.

I also currently own a few other American made guitars: A Gibson Les Paul, a PRS Custom 24, a Fender Strat, a Carvin DC200 and a Guild D-40 acoustic, but none of them can match the awesome tone of my butt-ugly '52 (well, my Guild is definitely a close 2nd since it sounds pretty sweet too).

So there you have it... a story of true love...

'

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    bazmusicman likes this.

17. bazmusicman

bazmusicman Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2015
    london England.
    I wouldn't buy a guitar by mail order, I have to try them first because there are too many differences to consider.

Living in West London doe's give me access to all the big music shops, some like Andertons, Guitar guitar etc that do carry some Lefties so I might just do as you say and go and try some and see for myself if its worth it.

I do have a 1971 Fender Strat and back in the early 60's I had a 1962 Strat (yes I wish I still had it) along with the Marshall '67 plexie amp, one of the first Vox AC30's, a 70's Twin Reverb with JBL Speakers, etc.

As someone once said to me 'hindsight is a good thing....but foresight is much better!!'

18. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Ok then, it sounds like you have a mission to complete...

bazmusicman likes this.

19. moonman2

moonman2 Tele-Meister

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Ok then, here's the obvious differences I noted from personal experience of owning both.

(CV)
    Small frets that worn out quickly.
    Thin and somewhat weak neck with an extremely thick and sticky poly finish.
    Cheap Chinese pot metal components that corroded quickly.
    Very stiff pots.
    Generally cheap and nasty electrics.
    Very poor resale value.
    (The American Standard doesn't have any of these issues)

As an aside, the average cost of a new CV is approximately 400, while the average cost of a used USA Standard is approximately 600. However, it's resale will always be approximately 600.

bazmusicman likes this.

20. rcboals

rcboals Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2010
    Springfield, Oregon
    All I know is I love the fit and finish on my 62 Re Issue Japanese Tele. I haven't played a USA made one that was any better for me. It all comes down to if you find a Tele you really like then that is the one for you. They are all so easy if desired to upgrade, electronics and hardware and super easy to swap necks. Love Telecasters.

Attached Files:

stratlt likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.