Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

American Standard pickups

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by OllieJ, Jan 11, 2019.

1. OllieJ

OllieJ TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    Hi all.
    Been lurking a while, but i’ve come to an impasse with some pickups, so have joined and posted in the hope that someone may be able to clarify some things for me. I’ve done a bit of research on this, but have really only been able to deepen my confusion.
    I’ve got a 2011 American Standard FSR Tele (Wine red hand stained ash 017-8200-790).
    I really like the pickups in this guitar, and would like to try and get a set to go in a 2012 maple neck Am Std Tele, that has different pickups.
    My questions are:
    1) Did this model, as the only info I can find states, come with “American Tele® Single-Coil Pickups” ?
    2) Are they both Alnico V.
    The bridge pickup wire is plastic sheethed Yellow/Black, neck is plastic White/Black.
    3) Were these the pickups in all Am Std Teles from 2008 to 2011?

Lastly if these are Am Std’s 2008-2011, I don’t suppose some would have a pair sitting around they’d be willing to let go? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cheers
    Ollie

2. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Yes, that is what was in an American Standard from 2008-February (maybe?) 2012. They were alnico v and they were just called "American Standard Tele" or just "American Tele" pickups.

I'm pretty positive that the FSR model you have was only produced during calendar 2011.

Because of the timing of when Fender changes their serial number decals (typically late February/early March of a given year) I suppose it is possible that March 2012-spec American Standard Tele might have a "US11xxxxxx" serial number instead of a "US12xxxxxx" serial number, but the March 2012-spec version will also have the back contour as well as having the CS pickups (Twisted Tele and Broadcaster set).

3. OllieJ

OllieJ TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    Thanks John.
    Yes the serial is 2011, and no body contour. Sounds completely different to the 2012 I have as well. The 2011 has a lot more upper top end on the bridge pickup in particular.

4. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 17, 2003
    Charlotte NC
    Well here is a BONE stock USA 2008 Tele that I recently acquired. I had thought ( and read) that this model was 2008 thru 2012, but that may imply that 2012 was the start of a new model and changes . Typical 3 color, no body contour, very fine player, and has the vintage style steel saddles , string thru of course. This one, odd to me, has the 4 way selector and I swear it's factory as the wiring, the detail, the layout ,the CLEAN workmanship etc..screams factory. Of course there is no mention anywhere that the 4 way was factory on these guitars, but looking at it, with years of technical exposure and experience, the install is just TOO PERFECT. Go figure. A guitar with the FSR tag may be difficult to track down. See that the 2008 S/N is the common Z xxxxxx The 2008, as stated just has the definition of American standard PUPs. Whatever that means . Are they different from 2012,? Don't know.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/telecaster-corona-california-history.896113/

IMG_9068.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  5. John C

John C Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    Yes, that is correct. The change to the revised version happened in March 2012 - so there was overlap production. The change coincided with when fender cycles the serial number decals (due to them using 2 formats in 2010 - one format from January-March, the second format from April 2010 to March 2011). Fender did consider it a new model and gave them a new sku number for the inventory system.

6. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome, Ollie!

I may have some bad new for you. Fender likes to sometimes put different pickups in their FSR models than the conventional production models get. So IMO it is possible the pickups in your FSR are not in fact what FMIC seems to be telling you. If I were in your shoes, I would first try 3-4 other, production American Standards '08-'11 to verify that these are the pickups you have and like in your '11. This does two things:

a) Confirm yes or no that they're the A5 pickups (love that neck pickup); and

b) Confirm that it isn't a sort of fluke that the existing pickups in your FSR sound so fantastic because of the guitar they're in (as opposed to the inherent nature of the pickups). Sooner or later, we all own or try out a guitar where the "Special Sauce" nature of that particular guitar isn't even the pickups - something else.

Good luck.

7. OllieJ

OllieJ TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    Thanks Boris, I had wondered if it may be the Ash body with the very thin Satin finish that gave the guitar it's sound. Half my problem is I can't even identify the pickups I have. Any search I do for "American Tele® Single-Coil Pickup" doesn't seem to bring up the relevant pickup. I do know though, that the 2012 Twisted Tele Neck pickup is a 3 wire, sporting a separate cover earth. However, just to add to the confusion, there were two different Neck colour codes. Yellow/Wite/Black if it came as part of a two pickup set (both twisted tele) or Green/Yellow/Black if it came as a Neck pickup only set.

8. OllieJ

OllieJ TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    Well, all the specs I can find for it say that has American Tele® Single-Coil Pickups. However, one spec sheet said it had 3 pickups! So that's not really inspiring me with any real confidence in how accurate that is.

T Prior likes this.
  9. daza152

daza152 Tele-Meister

Jul 9, 2012
    NZ
    are the twisted tele and broadcaster pickups sounding great for rock, better than the 2008 AM std pickups?

10. OllieJ

OllieJ TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    That's what most people seem to say.
    I thought my 2011 was a bit weird sounding when I first got it, but I've come round to seeing it as just a Funk and Soul guitar. The bridge pickup seems to have an extended top end, which makes the both pickups position really chime. Great for staccato funk picking.
    Where this all sort of came to a head, was when I did a HOOP wiring job on the Tele. I really, really like the HOOP setting, but when engaged it negates the Ilitch hum cancelling scratchplate I have on it, and back comes all the noise. So I thought I'd convert the 2012 to a Nashville 5 position and see how that compares, as Ilitch make a 3 pickup Tele plate. Problem is, both guitars sound so different even on individual pickups that comparing the Nashville's in between settings with the other's HOOP was sort of meaningless.
    Both guitars are Ash, '11 Rosewood board, '12 has Maple. Mind you the '12 has the heavy urethane, which may contribute to choking the top end.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    daza152 likes this.
  11. AmDlx

AmDlx TDPRI Member

Jan 13, 2019
    UK
    I’ve got them on my 2015 American Standard, and love them. That combo to me are perfect. The broadcaster is very powerful and shines with gain and on clean it’s got all the classic tele twang and power you need. My first tele was a Mexican Std with very hot ceramic pick ups which were muddy and the guitar was so heavy. Then I got a Baja in which the stock Twisted Tele and Broadcaster combo on it sounded thin and shrill so I sold it. I may be wrong but I think the Baja had a different type or grade of pick ups from the Am Std as it sounded nothing like my Am Std. The Am Std sounded so much more bigger, fuller and way more powerful. Way beyond what I expected from a tele.

12. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I have a pair of Tonetele Vintage pickups that have too much twang for my taste . You can have them if you contact me trough the conversations ave. They are A5 and have real Texas twang.

13. Tonetele

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    P.S. Typo - Toneirder

14. OllieJ

OllieJ TDPRI Member

Jan 11, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    Thanks Tontele, but from some reports I've read, the 08-11 pickups that I'm after aren't really that twangy or even Tele like .... if I can believe what I've read....;)

15. Tonetele

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Perhaps you'd like Texas Specials? I put set in a guitar once and silly me sold that one.
    They are overwound but , apart from a pair of '62 originals, they were gutsy and had twang. Texas specials are expensive though but good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.