American Special Series

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Puttheteleon, Jun 13, 2019.

1. tele12

tele12 Friend of Leo's

Not to denigrate the American Special, I think they are great.
    But none of the components you mentioned are the same between the American Special and Standard.

The neck on the Standard has a biflex trussrod and microtilt adjustment, on later years the American Special has jumbo frets and the Standard medium jumbo.
    The bridges on the Special and Standard are different, Special has 3 saddles and the Standard 6 saddles, the mounting holes on the bodies are different, the bridges are not interchangeable.
    The tuners are staggered on the Standard, they are not on the Special , they are interchangeable.

Lobomov likes this.
  2. Puttheteleon

Puttheteleon TDPRI Member

Nice man! I’m more and more convinced. Might go for a tortoise shell guard actually

3. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Here's mine. The only thing I changed was the saddles. I got some compensated gotoh saddles from StewMac.

I have to say, I consider myself lucky. I think mine literally is a special Guitar.

I think mine is a 2016. I got it used in 2017 for $700 USD.

Some don't like the jumbo frets, and it feels different, but not that big a deal to me. IMG_20190614_064643835.jpg

4. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

+1

To the OP, there are plenty of used American Special Tele's out there, in prime condition.

If you're patient, you can grab a mint, "original release" version for +/- $750 US.

5. coolidge

coolidge TDPRI Member

I purchased this black American Special over Christmas because I wanted jumbo frets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then I upgraded it with Fender deluxe locking tuners, Joe Barden modern T pickups, and Babicz bridge.

[​IMG]

6. Puttheteleon

669D5622-5F4E-4C33-8F3C-3E2E95E59DE8.png
    Thanks man. This is all it is though (above)
    and I’m happy with it at this price. I can’t find any anywhere near £450 so definitely going for it!

7. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

hope you like it as much as I like mine (which would be a lot).

8. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

Well, then, good luck! ;)

9. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

Well, I hope the O.P. has bought the guitar and has it safely home. 450 pounds sterling is well bought.

To tele12's observations, my recollection is the huge Jumbo wire dates back to 2006 about (the Highways, with one Highway Strat model getting huge Jumbo even sooner) and the Texas Specials came on when the American Special was introduced. And so all American Specials have IMO real decent pickups. While many of the stock Highway Ones do not.

Anyway, to future Original Posters of buy threads, don't post anything specific until you are poised to buy or not buy. We love chewing the fat, but if you identify a guitar you'd like too closely, someone will buy it out from under you. We have no control over who reads these threads. Sure it is fun to gab about this stuff, but you can get over to the shop, and it is too late. Plus, maybe the owner's cousin reads the thread and calls his cousin and says "Mike, you have that guitar under-priced". So, once you post, be ready to take action at once.

Telecaster88 likes this.
  10. Puttheteleon

A fair point there, thanks. scooped her up and she’s a beast!!! Well pleased, £450 well spent I think! That’s coming from a strat guy too!!

image.jpg

TLR_ likes this.
  11. TLR_

TLR_ TDPRI Member

Yeah, looks cool. Enjoy playing!.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.