Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

American Pro or American Vintage 64?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by spenno, Feb 8, 2017.

1. spenno

spenno TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2009
    England
    Had a few Teles over the years but for the past 10 I've been a Ric player. About 5 years ago I'd narrowed my choice down to a Ric 330 or an AVRI 64 Tele. I knew I'd like the Ric but was kinda attracted to the 64, but sadly couldn't find one anywhere to try out. I tried the 52 (loved the sound), the 58 seemed a bit punier and wasn't a great example (chipped to smithereens and had a dodgy pick-up selector, which put me off). I stuck with what I knew and have largely enjoyed the Ric since. But for a few years on and off I've always wondered about the 64, and now with the Pro series coming out, I'm back in full-on Tele mode. Most people sneer when I say I'm considering letting the Ric go - it looks and sounds great, even if it is a bit of a swine to play sometimes - but I can't afford another guitar.
    So, anyone able to compare the American Vintage 64 with the Pro? I like a bright sound, as opposed to the darker sound of some Teles I've played.

2. mrgp52tele

mrgp52tele Tele-Meister

AV 64. Fiesta Red.

fender68 and Ruestungsmeyer like this.

3. spenno

spenno TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2009
    England
    Well I do like the red, almost as much as the LPB :)
    Haven't even managed to find a blonde nearby though. The hunt goes on!

4. tce63

tce63 Tele-Holic

Jan 18, 2013
    Sweden
    AV64 Blonde ;)

5. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I played this white (blonde?) AV '64 at Dave's Guitar recently (Lacrosse Wisconsin) through a '59 Bassman amp (reissue) - and I have to say that it was quite impressive:

IMG_8323.JPG
    IMG_8324.JPG

Here's a review of an AV '64 neck pickup I got for my 2006 Highway-One Tele recently, which pretty much describes the sound I got from the neck PU on the AV '64 I tried at Dave's:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/fender-pure-vintage-64-pickup-review-neck-pickup.704909/

Plus, Dave's also ships... ;)

BTW, here's the thread that outlines my Dave's Guitar adventure:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/going-to-daves-guitar-tomorrow.703263/

`

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    spenno likes this.

6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    `
    I just looked into the Fender American Professional Telecaster for the first time and it also seems to be very impressive (feature-wise) and the price is certainly very reasonable compared to the AV '64...

American Vintage '64 Tele = $1999.99

American Professional Tele = $1399.99 ($1499.99 for an Ash body)

I'm really interested in hearing how those new "V-Mod" pickups sound, so I'll definitely have to give the Am Pro Tele a try next time I get a chance!

`

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I'd go for the one with the neck shape I like best.

willyb likes this.

8. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    Pro. Sonic gray.

Geo and spenno like this.

9. spenno

spenno TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2009
    England
    It's definitely the sonic I'd go for out of the pros. Prefer a rosewood board and as much as I like the mystic seafoam I don't think I could pull it off - probably one to admire than one to own!

10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I haven't played the new American Professional but I've owned two AV64. I consider them to be the finest production model guitars that Fender has made in the last 25 years.
    I retired so I sold off a bunch of guitars and kept my CS NOS 63 Tele but I will say that it was a close call of whether I kept the AV64 white blonde or my CS. I keep the CS because of the flatter radius and bigger frets which I prefer but it was truly a very hard decision.
    I will also say that if I was buying a new Tele today as my only guitar, I would buy the AV64.
    I think the neck profile of the AV64 is perfect and it's smaller (which I prefer) than the new Am Pro necks. I think the grey bottom pickups of the 64 are also top notch and have a great voice.
    However, like anything you have to play them and see which feels best and whose sound inspires you the most.

BritTwang and spenno like this.

11. spenno

spenno TDPRI Member

Sep 23, 2009
    England
    Wise words! I am trying to find a store relatively close by with both models. Not easy (I'm in England btw).

12. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Have I read it correctly that the American Pro has a poly finish?

I had just assumed it was nitro like the AV series. I wouldn't part with that level of money (same as AV in cash terms) for a poly finish.

13. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    I guess it depends on where you're located - in the USA an American Professional (with an alder body) is $600 less than an American Vintage.

14. Jasonspaceman0

Jasonspaceman0 TDPRI Member

Apr 24, 2012
    United Kingdom
    AV '64 for me every time. These are great guitars, they're a bit more mass-produced than custom shop ones but very close in terms of consistent quality - hard to find ones much better or worse than others. Haven't picked up an American pro tho'.... but think they do have poly finishes... AVRI have better nitro on bodies and necks...

If you want a brighter sound go for a '52 '58 maybe, maple necks tend to give a brighter tone.....

Try a few out, is my advice.....

15. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Being in the UK and Fender

American Pro = 1400 GBP
    American vintage = 1400 GBP
    American Special = 850 GBP
    MIM Roadworn = 950 GBP

16. John C

John C Tele-Afflicted

Sep 20, 2005
    Kansas City
    I didn't realize they were the same price now in the UK. You're right, that is just crazy.

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    AV for me. Even before I learned they are the same price in Europe.

I like traditional. And my AV64 is the finest Tele I've owned (or played).

I tried an American Pro and it was fine.

IME.

18. Relch

Relch TDPRI Member

Mar 2, 2017
    Kitty Hawk
    Play both before making your decision. For me, the neck on the pro was much nicer to play than the '64. I love the compensated brass saddles on the pro, and the much more durable poly finish. The new pickups on the pro were just what I was looking for in the tone department. Not to bright, but all tele. The new cut down bridge plate is a very nice change too. I know that I am in the minority with these opinions but I can not recommend enough to play these two side by side. ( l went with the Olympic white with rosewood board). I could not be happier with my Tele !

Last edited: May 10, 2017

19. dreamingtele

dreamingtele Tele-Afflicted

I thought I'd chime in, the AV64 is my dream tele (Well, second to an AV62).. but I havent played one.. Ive played an AV52 though and if its a basis on how good the quality, fit and finish of the AV line, then I'd say go for it..

On the other hand, the American Pro is a really nice tele, lovely neck and pickups.. though it doesnt have the appeal of the vintage line due to the glossy finish, I never had problems with it when I tried it.

The AV line is just too much money for me, and Im already at the limit so I pulled the trigger on an Am Pro, Im just waiting for it to be shipped! Cant wait!

20. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2009
    donegal ireland
    My friend has a Vintage64 and everything was right on that guitar. So when i went to a shop and saw the Pro hanging for less money i had my doubts.Rosewood fretboard, ash body, brass saddles/bridge. Was it trying to be a Vintage but no quite there? No, also great i thought. Mind you, i didn't have the two together..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.