American Original worth the wedge?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by CaineIsCarter, May 30, 2019.

1. CaineIsCarter

CaineIsCarter Tele-Meister

Hi folks

About 2 years ago, for reasons I won’t bore you with, I sold all my electric gear in order to focus solely on acoustic. It was a short-sighted and frankly boneheaded move.

So I’m now in the expensive process of re-electrification (who needs food anyway, right)?

I’ve bought a Les Paul, and am looking at a single coil companion. The American Original 60s in Lake Placid Blue makes me go weak at the knees, with the double binding and everything, but for that money I could buy a good Tele AND a Strat from further down the Fender hierarchy.

What do you reckon? I know it’s my call etc but I’d love to hear your thoughts.

Cheers

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

A guitar the makes you go weak at the needs is probably worthy it!

But seriously, I'd be normally recommend finding a used one, but I haven't seen any for sale at all (UK) except one that was near-new price. Not that many owner testimonials either.

One alternative would be a used Fender Japan 62 Custom in Lake Placid Blue with US pickups. Similar in looks and high quality. Would leave some wedge for a used Strat. Might take time to find one...

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    jannodude and CaineIsCarter like this.
  3. CaineIsCarter

Yes I’ve seen those on the auction site but I understand they’ve got 7.25 fretboards, I can’t get along with them. Lovely looking guitars though

4. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

What is your goal? Do you have to get a Strat and a Tele?

Have you played the AO Tele? Or is the appearance the attraction? You don't see it while you play it.

How about getting the AO Tele now and waiting on the Strat until you accumulate the funds?

I'm a believer in only getting guitars I love. To just check off a shopping list just isn't going to satisfy in the long run.

CaineIsCarter and nojazzhere like this.
  5. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

So how about buying a used guitar, like American Special Tele and Strat. They have a lot of vintage features at a good used price.

Or the MIM Player versions, the Baja Tele or Classic Strat. They're even having US pickups and lacquer finishes.

CaineIsCarter and rze99 like this.
  6. rze99

Yes lovely looking. I really dig the double bound look. The MIJ do have 7.25 radius... I've had frets themselves on mine stoned to a flatter radius and it eliminates the fret choke if that's the issue for you.

Another cost effective and excellent '60s type Tele worth mentioning is the Fender Baja 60s (with 9.5 radius + USA pickups). Again used, they are a great proposition. Especially nice in Faded Sonic Blue. Also the Classic Vibe Custom with the double binding is very good with more money left over.

Piggy Stu, DanDII and CaineIsCarter like this.
  7. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

Head for your local shop, get some kind of upper price limit in your head and play every Tele and Strat that fits. You’ll know the one.

8. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Go play them and decide.
    I’ve twice bought American Fenders now (Elite Tele, AO Jazzmaster) knowing I could buy 2 or 3 good guitars for the same money — but your response to the guitar is key, and I don’t regret either of those buying decisions.
    And I love the AO’60s Tele. That is what my next Tele will be I am pretty sure.

CaineIsCarter likes this.
  9. TLR_

TLR_ TDPRI Member

I think the American Original guitars are great. Are they worth it? - it's the same old story of how maybe they're worth it to one guy but not to another guy. And as pointed out in the thread, there are some nice options elsewhere in the range of Telecasters. I'm at home with almost any shape/profile of neck, radius, frets - and despite the neck being a world apart from the AO, the American Special is IMO a special guitar indeed.

10. ricknbaker

ricknbaker Tele-Holic

I'm thinking about getting that 60s LPB to celebrate getting a new job.

I've yet to play one, but it looks and sounds fantastic. And as it's blue, my wife shouldn't notice it as i already have a Pelham Blue Les Paul Jnr.

11. d barham

d barham Tele-Meister

Buy the one you want. You know you'll get another strat anyway.

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Build one yourself.....that way you get EXACTLY what you want. My #1 has me spoiled, no guitar (I've ever found) off the rack works for me.

DHart and CaineIsCarter like this.
  13. CaineIsCarter

Great replies, thanks.

I will undoubtedly want a strat at some point, but for now, it’s got to be a Tele. And I think it’s got to be the AO in LPB.

Like many of you, I’ve bought and sold a lot of guitars over the years, and if I don’t get the one I really want, I’ll end up regretting it, selling the one I bought instead, and then buying it. Which will cost money.

I think it’s a gorgeous looking thing, and it presses so many buttons for me.

14. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

If it makes you go weak in the knees then by all means buy it .. but just keep in mind that used guitars exist. I paid less for the lake placid blue custom shop tele in my avatar than what a new 60s original costs, so ..

(On the used marked you can't really be picky with regards to finish so lake placid blue is going to be very difficult, but finding a CS tele for less than the price of a 60s AO is absolutely doable)

15. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

You have a Les Paul, so go for the best sounding and feeling Fender you can. ;)

16. CaineIsCarter

Yours looks lovely. I’m basically scared of buying an expensive used guitar.

17. rze99

...and I have the exact opposite problem, I just won't buy new. And especially not untried new.

A high end used guitar is typically fairly well set up by the seller. If I buy used and I don't like it in the end, I probably won't lose money selling it on. But buying new giving the taxman 20% is unpalatable and you lose it when moving it on. Yes, I care about the pennies! All the Custom Shop guitars I have I bought used - no regrets whatsoever.

bhenry83, NewKid, mimmo and 3 others like this.
  18. bumnote

bumnote TDPRI Member

I've had mine for a year...it's my avatar picture. I LOVE it....it's never been in its case since I bought it. It's a leave it on a stand because I'm going to grab it guitar.
    Nine times out of ten I modify Fenders....whether it's an added mini switch and base plate on Strats, treble bleeds on Strats & Teles, and my other Teles have always had the neck pup swapped out.
    My 60's AO is 90% bone stock. The neck pickup is the best single coil Telecaster neck pup I've ever played and the bridge pup is better balanced than the Nocaster pickups I would normally put in. No need for a treble bleed on this one...something I'd never thought I'd say. The few changes I made were purely cosmetic, except for one..sort of.
    Cream/black/cream guard, dome knobs, Strat switch tip and control plate w/ angled slot.
    The bridge I did change out for compensated saddles...but only because I got them at a steal. And the bridge I bought off Reverb from a guy who converts them the bottom and top loaders only because I wanted to try it not because the stock parts weren't making me happy.
    I prefer a 7.25" and vintage spec frets...not on this one. Love the 9.5 and vintage tall frets a lot. This worried me because I HATE 9.5 w/ med jumbos.
    Never had a second of regret with this one and I normally buy used since you get more for less.

19. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

Buy the best and cry once!

Or...

You can go cheaper... be dissatisfied...sell at loss... buy what you originally wanted for MORE $$$!!!

I think there is some wisdom for buying what you want right away... especially with guitars.

If you find one that buckles knees buy it before anyone else does!

TEX

AAT65 and CaineIsCarter like this.
  20. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

The only issue that isn't apparent to the eye at once is if the trustrod doesn't work, so if you don't want to gamle you have to ask to adjust the trustrod yourself and then wait 5-10 minutes to see if it loosens afterwards. Tho in most of the cases the guitar will have backbow and high action to start off with.

What I am saying is yes, you have a small risk buying used, but on the other hand buying new looses you half of what you paid for it the moment you step outside the store .. if you ever want to sell it.

I burnt my fingers on 1 out of the 30 something guitars I've bought and sold since my divorce 7 years ago, so I won't say it doesn't happen, but ...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.