American Deluxe Tele Strings Ringing with Overtones

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Tenderfoot, May 9, 2014.

1. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

2013 American Deluxe Telecaster has faint overtones and ringing on the e, b and g strings especially when played together as a chord. The harder and longer I strum the ringing grows exponentially and sound becomes shimmery.

Here is what I have done to try and fix the problem:

1. Replaced N3 Pickups (bridge & neck) with Fender CS 51 NoCasters
    2. Replaced the factory Control Plate Assembly with a custom made 50’s type
    3. Replaced the factory Bridge with a Callaham 3 Saddle (stainless steel) bridge
    4. Replaced the factory Nut with a custom cut bone nut and professional setup (all hardware and electronics checked for tightness)
    5. Tried 9 & 10 gauge strings both nickel plated and pure nickel (various brands)
    6. Spent over 20 hours doing search on Google and trying different fixes listed for ringing

So after a few hundred bucks on replacement parts and a week of web searching; the problem has not resolved.

The only thing I can think of, after doing all the above, is that it must be the compound radius neck and perhaps my fingering – but I have tried various fingerings and nothing seems to work for me. So my question behind the question is “have any American Deluxe Tele players on TDPRI experienced or know of someone who experienced the issue that I explained in the opening paragraph?”

Thanks

2. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Hi Tenderfoot and welcome to TDPRI. I have 2012 American Deluxe and I have never experienced what you are describing. I wish I could be of more help.

3. NewPort

NewPort Tele-Meister

There are people here with a lot more knowledge than I have, but here's my 2-cents.

Sounds like you've done the main things, changed the bridge to a high quality one and added a bone nut. With a professional setup that should have fixed it. A good setup should have fixed any sitar sounds and fret buzz etc, if that's what it was.

I've also had some strange unharmonic ringing tones on the b and g strings that weren't the above. One thing you can try is putting a thin strip of paper under the string in the nut slot. If that reduces or eliminates the ring the nut may need more work. Also touch the strings above the nut to check for ringing above the nut.

One thing I've noticed is that I only hear the ring on my fender single coil guitars and usually when picking at a certain area of the string and fretted at a particular fret. I don't hear it on my humbucker or P90 guitars.

One thing I tried recently was raising the pickups as close as possible to the strings and then adjusting them to balance the output with the hope that that would dampen the ring. It seemed to have a positive effect.

Seems to me another professional aught to be able to diagnose it.

4. gallred

gallred TDPRI Member

Sounds like ringing behind the nut. I've used a small sponge, cut to size and placed under the strings behind the nut.

5. NewPort

NewPort Tele-Meister

Another possibility, maybe you have a sympathetic ring. If I remember right when you pick the high e the A string can ring sympathetically, when you pick the b string the low E may ring also. Try palm muting or dampen them somehow.

6. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Cut your nails? I'm being serious here. It might be the issue.

7. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

Serious question; What does it do when you play slide? If it chases the note up the scale it might be electronic. If it mutes out it's sympathetic.

If it's sympathetic (as I understand the term) then the headstock is where I'd look, too. Maybe the string tree is wrong? A capo tied loose behind the nut cancels some stuff. Seems silly, but did you use springs or tubing on the adjustment screws when you mounted the pickups? Did you grind the bottom of the height adjustment screw on the saddle flat? Is the ground wire fouling the seating of the bridge? Finding a vibration is challenge. It must be something hidden.

If it's an electronic echo look at your amp.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck.

8. sjruvolo

sjruvolo Tele-Meister

Check your amp's tubes. You may have a preamp or even a power tube starting to go. Had a similar problem. Swapped out the preamps. I have awesome tone again.

9. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Are the pickups too close to the strings?

10. motwang

motwang Tele-Afflicted

As others have said already, have you tried it with another amp ? Funny that the tech doing the setup didn't notice . I would think it's a simple solution to a complicated problem ! LOL.

11. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Do other guitars do it through the same amp?
    Could it simply be a microphone tube that needs to be swapped out?

12. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

If this is the only gtr doing it, try a small piece of foam under the strings, behind the nut

(Steve Morse use to do this w his mongrel Tele)

13. jackal

jackal Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Had that on a couple of guitars, turned out to be a fan on the same household circuit. Almost sounded like a slapback, but mainly on the small e string, followed up the neck.

14. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot Tele-Meister

Thanks for all the good inputs

I found the problem but let me answer some of the suggestions that were given:

1. Nails are cut short but thanks anyway.
    2. Tried the Foam, Yarn, etc behind the Nut but that didn't help.
    3. Did the "hit the neck to jar the Truss Rod but that didn't help.
    4. Removed Bridge Plate and checked grounding wire but that was not the issue
    5. Checked bottoms of the Saddles but they looked as flat as one would expect
    6. Removed Control Plate and checked pots and switch but they were secure
    7. Rechecked string and pickup height and that was OK

And now for the problem; there were two (2):

1. Bad TAD 7025 WA was not micro-phonic per-say but had gassed and was causing the ringing where e, b & g were played; after an hour warm up it started to cause a distorted sound
    2. While troubleshooting a came down with a bad case of GAS and bought a Fender AVRI 52 Tele and discovered that I was experiencing a slight case Tinniness cause when playing it I heard slight overtones

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.