Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Am I the only person whose had a urinary catheter?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Nov 9, 2017.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Nurse: "How are you feeling?"
    Me: "Well, where do I start... there's a plastic tube up my crank. How should I be feeling?"

On a side note, how is it with all of these modern advancements we've made in medical technology, we're still doing this?

Jakedog, ac15, Obsessed and 1 other person like this.

2. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Then they come in and yank it around like a one legged cowboy throwing a five legged calf !

TheGoodTexan, Jef, xafinity and 2 others like this.

3. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    My worst nightmare. I'm doing everything possible to avoid this kind of stuff.

4. Hammerdog

Hammerdog Tele-Meister Ad Free + Supporter

Mar 26, 2016
    Texas
    It's not so bad for me. I use them 4 times a day. Specially designed intermittent Cather. Sounds worse than it is. I think the ones you guys are talking about are a pay back for our evil ways. :rolleyes:

Nickadermis and xafinity like this.

5. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

Aug 24, 2009
    Southwest MN
    Had one after back surgery for a couple days, they put it in under anesthesia, and the nurse snuck in while I was sleeping and took it out. I barely woke up and never felt a thing. YMMV, of course, I think I was pretty lucky...

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

6. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Had one when i had hip surgery I asked to see the thing when the nurse pulled it out. She held up a little piece of tubing. I said aww naw that thing you pulled outta me was at least 23 feet long.

7. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Holic

Oct 29, 2008
    Dixie
    I mean... I know it's Bad Dog and all ... but really?

8. cabra velha

cabra velha Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

Jan 21, 2016
    sub arctic
    I've had almost a dozen, the trip in is worse than the trip out in my experience. The worst was a fairly inexperienced nurse who after 4 or 5 tries had to call in a urology resident.

9. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    I had another stent put in last month. I was reluctant as the overnight stay was so repugnant. They 3 times before kept me overnight to make sure the puncture wound in my groin artery was not spouting a fountain of blood. Had a problem a couple times before. If you are overnight recovery you get a 23ft weasel drip tube to measure the urine. I dont really like that.
    Anyway this time the procedure was from 9am till 2pm outpatient because they now have a nifty titanium staple to close the hole in the artery. More effective than a nurse applying a death grip to your thigh for about an hour to get it to clot the leak. Very easy going procedure, semiconscious on fentynel. Funny they jostled me a couple times telling me to take a breath. I said I will when its time. That was not soon enough for the knockout Dr. He is very precise.
    My longwinded story is to show there is progress and maybe someday most surgeries will be less of an ordeal.

10. max_twang

max_twang Tele-Afflicted

Nov 8, 2009
    New York
    TMI people. TMI.

blowtorch likes this.

11. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Yes, and thank you for reminding me of the pain when Nurse Ratched ( or a close relative ) yanked it out with a cheery smile and a 'this will hurt' comment, delivered with a knowing, happy lilt.

12. claes

claes Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2007
    sweden
    Time for a club? :D

Honest Charley likes this.

13. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Many, many years ago a friend of mine got hit by a car and was somersaulted through the air, breaking his hip on impact (he was drunk and jaywalked into a taxi). A couple of us visited him in hospital to cheer him up. Anyway he's in the bed and there's this tube coming out from under his bed sheets. I was young and dumb, about 19 or 20, and I said to him, "Hey Paul, what's this tube for?" He gives me this look like he could kill me and says, "DON"T YOU TOUCH THAT!!!!!" :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I think there were a few other words involved, but it was a long time ago...

14. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2017
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    My wife is a nurse, after some back surgery they said I could go home after I peed. Could not get a drop out. So after a few hours they decided it was cath time. The Dr. knew my wife was a nurse and jokingly asked her if she wanted to do the honors, thankfully she declined as I was quickly going over every time I had ever made her mad. However they did let her remove it...I'm telling you boys, keep the wife happy, you never know.

titan uranus likes this.

15. suthol

suthol Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2010
    Sydney - Australia
    Word of warning.

Don't bar up with a catheter in it is very uncomfortable, no need to wonder how I can comment with authority

16. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

C'mon guys, y'all are talkin' child's play. Wait 'til you you find out what toys your urologist has in his bag of tricks. I'm talking about getting "scoped". Had it done when I had a couple king size kidney stones say 13 and 15 mm in diameter. [​IMG] Guess where the flexible tube goes. Don't worry, after the 9th or 10th time you NEVER get used to it.

Nickadermis likes this.

17. titan uranus

titan uranus Tele-Meister

Sep 22, 2017
    36.395884, -78.710617
    Been there, got the t-shirt.

My femoral artery blew out twice post surgery after angioplasty 1, once in the hospital (and thereby got the DEATH GRIP ON THE GROIN treatment which ..... there are no real words to describe just how much that hurts, and she CANNOT let go) and then a few days later at home. Applying direct pressure to your own femoral artery is an experience I should not like to repeat.

I found a cardiologist that does wrist insertions, that is so very much more civilized. For those of you who may one day have the questionable thrill of having a heart cath/angioplasty, insist on finding a cardiologist that will do the Radial Artery insertion. You can thank me after it's over.

18. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I regret posting this because every response made me want to commit suicide rather than risk living out the rest of my life with the possibility of another catheter.

Even worse is that picture from the second post above this one.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    With a name like Brokenpick you're objecting to... My bad, I kinda misread you avatar name. Sorry...:oops::oops:

20. Oh man, you are sooo lucky... unlike a guy I knew who had the serious misfortune to have his catheter removed by some incompetent ******* who did not know to deflate the balloon first! (I'll pause here, dear readers, to let that sink in to your imagination for a moment. You'll never get it out again!)

He was left with a limp and permanent nerve damage. A successful injury claim followed...

Toto'sDad likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.