Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Am I the only person who likes being able to turn off their headlights?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chud, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I'm pretty sure sure that like myself, he can make a rational decision as to when and if the lights are necessary and turn them on all by himself. Personally I have been doing this since before I was 10 years old and have yet to find a reason to let a mechanical device make my decisions for me.

Tony474, Toto'sDad and xafinity like this.

2. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    I'm starting to think this is getting personal ;)

3. teleamp

teleamp Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 17, 2006
    Prairie Hill, Texas
    Nah, it's generational, some of us curmudgeons are azz hos, I try not to be... :smile

edit: :)

Nickadermis likes this.

4. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Meister

May 4, 2015
    Leipzig
    That's alright too but I would rather call that being driven than 'driving'.

5. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Just counting my experience driving diesel trucks for over a million miles, and putting 500,000 miles on a total of four different pickup trucks during my stent as an outside hydraulic sales rep, it seems strange I never encountered a single situation where I thought I'd be better served driving at night without the headlights on.
    You know all this stuff about manly men wanting to turn their headlights on and off I'll just leave to you manly men. I gave a down on his luck vet 5 bucks today and I don't think he much cared who turns their lights on or off.

PacificaChris and Nickadermis like this.

6. ojaverde

ojaverde Tele-Holic

Feb 8, 2008
    san jose ca
    What bugs me is all the cars I see driving at night with headlights on, but no tail lights. It’s always a newer car. I can’t figure out how or why that works.

7. jaybones

jaybones Tele-Afflicted

My car doesn't have DRL's, but I always turn the headlights on anyway. Lights on for safety.

Last car didn't either, but had fog lights, that would only work with the headlights on (low beams only). Found a hack that you pulled a relay and stuck a piece of wire into the slots. Jumper wire bypassed the relay. Still needed to have parking lights on though.

Usually drove during the day with the parks and fogs on.

Mainland vehicle is a Toyota Highlander Limited, and it has DRL's. I always turn the headlights on in that one also.

8. Nickadermis

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Nothing manly about it. When I deliver hay or grain to the cattle where my 92 year old grandfather lives at 5:00am, my lights would be directly on the house as I drive down the 3/4 mile driveway. Or when I park at a hotel and start my truck at 4:30 in the morning..... just don't like being a di$k so I I purchase vehicles that allow me to make my own choice !

9. bear04

bear04 Tele-Holic

Jul 24, 2011
    New Brunswick, Canada
    As of January 1st, 2018, anyone caught driving without headlights (day or night) in my Province will be fined $179.50.

10. jondanger

jondanger Friend of Leo's

Jan 27, 2011
    Charm City, MD
    I live on a street that people use as a shortcut between two main roads. My neighbor planted some fennel as a border several years ago and man, does that stuff grow fast. She's getting up in age, and doesn't thin it out as often as she could. When I'm backing out of my driveway, especially around dusk, if approaching cars don't have their headlights on, they are very hard to see. Already had some close calls.

I guess what I'm saying is that I want the option to turn my headlights on and off, but NOBODY else should have the privilege.

Toto'sDad and TeleTucson like this.

11. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Now that right there is an honest man.

Nickadermis likes this.

12. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I have a confession to make, almost all the vehicles I ever owned had a headlight switch until the last ten or fifteen years, and all the diesel trucks I drove did too. I seemed to have an uncanny ability to discern between daylight and dark, use the switch accordingly. I don't mind the headlights coming on, on newer vehicles at all. I think it's fine to turn the lights off on a vehicle that's sitting idling if need be. I do think you are an unmitigated moron if you are DRIVING on any public road where you are likely to encounter other vehicles in the dark. I really don't have to worry too much about people doing that though, because they will most likely have a wreck before they go too far ese. I just hope that the ones they run into survive.

Nickadermis likes this.

13. Hastings

Hastings TDPRI Member

Dec 2, 2015
    Simcoe, Ontario
    Engineer Egomania Syndrome

Nickadermis likes this.

14. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    A few examples of pulling up driveways or similar odd situations aside, I don’t think anyone here is really suggesting driving at night with no lights on. I also don’t think anyone is arguing against the auto setting in newer cars, just as long as we can turn them completely off or leave just the DRL if the situation calls for it.

Nickadermis and Toto'sDad like this.

15. shinigami747

shinigami747 Tele-Holic

Sep 22, 2008
    NJ
    Some drivers assume DRL = lights on.

16. abrianb

abrianb Tele-Meister

Mar 5, 2014
    Indiana
    Ever drive a car with automatic transmission?

17. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville

Back in high school, In the winter you had to keep the car running but my car had this light in back that wouldn't shut off when in park. A man learns how to read the user manual quick in tight situations, I think it was the small green fuse. Good times.

Obsessed likes this.

18. Toto'sDad

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I really find no fault with any of that, my objection is only to people driving at night without their lights on. It is dangerous, and I just see no reason to do so. It is quite prevalent here in California, for what ever reason I don't know, but then again, many things people do here are a mystery. As a complete aside. For fifteen years I drove vehicles that turned the lights on and off. It could be defeated, but I just left it in the auto position. THEN, I bought a Honda CRV when I retired. It has running lights that come on when the ignition is actuated, but you have to turn the head and tail lights on and off with a switch. Okay, bear in mind my lights had been turning on and off automatically for fifteen years in my daily AND my wife's car. After I had to get a jump start a couple of times, I re-learned turning on and off the headlights. :lol::lol:

19. Nickadermis

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    I have and do drive vehicles with automatic transmissions. From Allison Autos to torque shifted mopars .

What I will NOT do is own one that won't let me manually shift it when I want it to shift !

20. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Pulling in to the drive in movie theater, or trying not to fall off a narrow, muddy, unpaved mountain road in very heavy fog. Manual control over headlights should be demanded by every driver.

Nickadermis likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.