Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Am I the only person who likes being able to turn off their headlights?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chud, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Dec 30, 2010
    New York City
    Particularly when I’m Eastbound and down, or when there's 106 miles to Chicago, I’ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out, and I’m wearing sunglasses.

TRex13, TheGoodTexan, Sconnie and 4 others like this.

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    It doesn't get much better.

3. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    Or when it's nighttime and you have to get on a ferry or go through a guarded gate, and there's a sign that says "Please Dim Headlights" and you're driving a newer model !@#$%& Volkswagen and you can't turn off the lights with the engine running, so you blind the attendant and all you can do is shrug your shoulders and say you're sorry.

Yeah, I like being able to turn off the headlights. That's why I bought something other than a VW when our Passat blew up.

4. HoodieMcFoodie

HoodieMcFoodie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Tamworth, 'straya.
    Have you been riding the mansions of glory in suicide machines again?

Pixies2005, RoscoeElegante and Chud like this.

5. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO
    Very annoying when the damn car thinks it is smarter than we are

6. pontiacfan46

pontiacfan46 NEW MEMBER!

Nov 9, 2017
    Marshalltown Iowa USA
    I do enjoy making my own decision on headlight use.

I can also park it COMPLETELY UNASSISTED!

RoyBGood, Felino, jaybones and 3 others like this.

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Of course they're necessary- my Toyota, like most cars has an auto-off switch 30 seconds after the engine goes off. Several European makes have lights on emission.
    I live in a gated village community and I often turn my lights off on entering so some of the old folk can continue sleeping. We have night lights as it is and CCTV. So I prefer that option for consideration to others.

nojazzhere and RoscoeElegante like this.

8. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Aug 6, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    I know studies show some safety benefit, but it seems to be getting out of control with the new bright flashing brake lights, headlights everywhere. I'm starting to feel like I'm in Vegas or on the downtown streets of Shanghai.

I had a firmware rev done to allow me to regain control. I understand some dealers fuss and refuse, but mine did it for me for free once I pointed out the existence of the patch from the manufacturer. Don't need to buy new headlights all the time now.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    RoscoeElegante likes this.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    There is a road out near us called, "Lovers Lane". I kid you not and don't dare drive down it at night with your lights on.

RoscoeElegante likes this.

10. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Tele-Afflicted

Feb 19, 2015
    TooFarFromCanada
    Sometime in the late '80s, found myself on a very remote Ontario highway, late at night, summer, no cars around, bright full moon. Switched off my headlights and drove (admittedly slower--didn't want to put any creature at risk) for 20, 30 miles with just a distant baseball game on the radio, the windows open.

A go-to memory, indeed....

xafinity and Obsessed like this.

11. Scooter91

Scooter91 Tele-Holic

Aug 24, 2009
    Southwest MN
    I like the option, when you park outside at work for a 10 hour night shift and it's going down to -20, I'd rather not use any battery to keep the lights on half a minute after shutting off the engine for no reason(brightly lit parking lot). My old Durango lets me choose to do it either way.

12. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    When I bought my Chev I discovered a 'feature' that turns the lights on when the ignition is on. Day or night. Automatically.
    After reading the bible length owners manual I discovered I could enter a code into the radio display to defeat the daytime running lights. That is possible with the Deluxe radio. I did not have a Deluxe but a Super Deluxe which lacked that feature.
    I eventually found a fuse called DRL which I pulled and killed the damn things. If I want the !@!#$#$%^ lights on I will turn them on. I remember when customers ordered cars with accessories they wanted not ones the factory decided they should have.

13. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

May 27, 2013
    California
    Well Chud, I'd like to go one little step further.......

I'd like to be able to turn off The Sun during fall and winter
    months so the glare doesn't adversely affect my
    Astigmatism.

IS THERE A SWITCH FOR THAT?

14. Snook

Snook Tele-Meister

Sep 17, 2015
    Ohio
    I'd like to turn off everybody elses headlights, so they wouldn't bother my glaucoma, or maybe they're cataracts... I should probably get my eyes checked.

15. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity TDPRI Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Canada
    As a Canadian who has lived with DRLs for over 25 years (law came into effect in 1990), like everything else, you get used and never think about again. In fact a car without them sticks out now as weird. I love my auto headlights too. Never think to turn them on or off, can't ever forget them on and come back to a dead battery (done it). Most cars will, or used to, turn off the DRLs with a click of the handbrake.

16. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    I now believe this board capable of having differing opinions about ANYTHING you can think of to post. Some of you seem to be endorsing driving upon the highway without headlamps being lit. I'm pretty sure if you were talking to a Highway Patrolman or equivalent titled peace officer ANYWHERE in the country you would be hard pressed to find an endorsement from said official for driving without headlights at night. Having said that, there seems to be a growing fad for doing just that being recently noted right here in B-Town. On several occasions I have seen people in late model cars driving without their headlights being on at NIGHT. Some of the cars are so new, the owners must have installed a means to allow this, as the cars have auto on headlights when the key comes on.

17. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Now....that's a completely different issue....

18. trouserpress

trouserpress Tele-Meister

May 4, 2015
    Leipzig
    need no stinkin' car making ANY of MY decisions

Nickadermis likes this.

19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 21, 2011
    Bakersfield
    Are you actually saying you like being able to chose whether you will drive at night on the highway or surface streets in a city without your headlights being on? Your avatar says you at 63 years of age, if you have been running around without your headlights off at night that long, you have probably already won the lottery two or three times with luck like that.

20. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity TDPRI Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Canada
    I for one welcome our new techno-overlords where I don't have to think about or do anything

images.jpg

JayFreddy likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.