Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Am I the only person who dislikes Jimmy Buffett's music?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by burntfrijoles, Nov 8, 2017.

1. G-52

G-52 Tele-Meister

Jul 10, 2017
    Denver, Co
    “... a Kodiac looking fellow about 19 feet tall...”

DonM likes this.
  2. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 30, 2016
    Crawfordville, FL
    Not reading any posts ... yes

3. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth (Part-Time)
    All I can add is amen, my brother...

4. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2011
    US
    Devil's advocate: He made some pretty good records before Margaritaville blew up; his first couple are clever, funny country records with great players and good songs (A White Sport Coat and a Pink Crustacean... can't beat that title).
    And he's a pretty cool guy.
    It's not his fault the world went crazy.

codamedia and G-52 like this.
  5. billgwx

billgwx Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2009
    Centereach NY
    I can embrace the whole Parrothead thing and the whole punk thing...call me a child of the late 70s. Heck combining the two motifs figures pretty big in the band where I play guitar. Both can be invigorating and both get can played out easily by overindulging. In that case the doc says take two heavy metals and call me in the morning :D

6. davguitar

davguitar Tele-Meister

Jan 15, 2009
    Louisville, KY
    I am not a fan. Opposites do attract. Dan Fogelberg and Jimmy Buffet were good friends and it's hard to describe just how different Dan's music is/was compared to Jimmy's.

7. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2009
    Western Canada
    I'm not a huge fan, but he has some great tunes - especially when you get away from "Margaritaville" and "Why Don't We Get Drunk".
    "Miss You So Badly" is always on my iPod, and "Tampico Trauma" takes a backseat to nothing! IMO ;)

Considering the majority of popular music has always been 3 - 4 chords I've never understood any "3 chord" jabs :confused:

Bruxist likes this.
  8. Pickcity

Pickcity Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 12, 2017
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Nope, you are not alone, and he is not alone either. There are many famous, popular folks in music who I would not walk across the street to see. It is all subjective, and I have never been one to follow the crowds of trendiness.

Some would probably be appalled at my opinions of certain bands and artists. LOL

Buffett played Lakewood amphitheater here in Atlanta a few years back and a GF wanted me to go with her, so we went, watched for a minute or two, then made our way back to the parking lot where the party was much more lively. He was yawn inducing.

9. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    He's never really appealed to me, but I try not to judge - I was a Deadhead for many many years and a whole friggin LOT of people never got that either. And I can understand people not getting that, so I have to understand people who love Buffett, even though I'm not quite even lukewarm on him.

There's plenty of "3-chord" music I like just fine - some of the best rock and roll and blues tunes ever written are basically three chords. That's not what bugs me about Buffett - I just never got his songs beyond the level of a really lightweight good time. Which usually isn't enough for me no matter how well they do it.

He doesn't inspire me to rip him either though - I'm just kind of "meh" about him. He's there, he's been there a long time, a lot of people seem to really like him and he's not hurting anyone or doing any harm...

-Ray

Sollipsist likes this.
  10. cntry666

cntry666 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 16, 2010
    decatur, ga
    Nope. Hate it. Even hated in the 70’s. Now his new name is Kenny Chesney. Yuck.

11. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

I only know one song, guess which one, and it seems pretty harmless.

12. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    Michigan
    I dislike about 95% of his stuff. The other 5% is fun.

13. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Aug 25, 2016
    I'm with the "meh" consensus. I'm not surprised that people like him, but I'm kinda amused at how much some people hate him.

Oh, and RIP Bill Paxton. His portrayal of Coconut Pete was comedy genius.

14. SteveO

SteveO Tele-Holic

Jul 22, 2009
    New Jersey
    I find Buffet to be the definition of mediocrity.

15. Modernelove

Modernelove TDPRI Member

Sep 27, 2016
    New Jersey
    He's one of those people that people love to hate on whether you've heard his music or not, like Nickleback.

I personally think he's a great songwriter. A pirate looks at 40 is great. Cheeseburger In Paradise is a clever song and honestly the only really popular song about food that I can think of, which must be worth something.

I also heard he was roommates with Hunter s. Thompson in the early 70's so to me that adds credibility too.

16. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    NW USA
    It always seemed like the same song to me. Sorry Parrot Heads.

17. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2016
    Hinterlands, USA
    I think we all have an artist/group that drives us crazy. The one I never got was Kiss! Complete joke/gimmick band...yet their fans are legion. Go figure.

I could listen to J. Buffett all day before I ever willingly submitted to a Kiss "song".

18. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Oct 12, 2010
    Kentucky, USA
    I would still consider myself a fan but I have not liked much of his stuff since the 80's.

Seemed like alot of the later-era stuff is about how great it is to be Jimmy Buffett.

19. AnAxeNamedBeverly

AnAxeNamedBeverly Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    SC
    I grew up in FL and currently live on a vacation island. By now I think of Jimmy Buffett' s popular songs like I think of Christmas music. There is some vague sense of nostalgia, but I'm really mostly desensitized to it. Just as Frosty the Snowman is really more for children, Margaritaville is really more for tourists. Let them have their fun.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.