Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Am I the only person who dislikes Jimmy Buffett's music?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by burntfrijoles, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    Part of the reason I left Florida 30 years ago was to get away from insufferable parrotheads.

emisilly likes this.

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm not a big fan. My ex-BIL, who loves him, is from Ohio and when you live in the cold and grey, Jimmy Buffet takes you away from that for a little while.

I do like the Fruitcakes album and a couple more from that time period. But like bluegrass music, I can only enjoy it in smaller doses. And Parrotheads, don't bother me. Everyone needs an outlet for cutting loose. I just may not want to be around them when they do.

Jakedog likes this.

3. teletimetx

teletimetx Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 25, 2011
    Houston, TX
    I appreciate someone who has a passionate point of view, but, I'm just wondering, once you've jumped up and down on the ashes, what actually has been accomplished? I like to think there are more worthy enemies to be reduced to ashes - I don't see wasting that much energy on Buffett.

And soon enough, if not already long past, there will be any number of hormone-ized adolescents laying claim to an Anti-pUnk manifesto. I guess that's some way of worshipping Shiva.

I don't know much of his catalog, but the one song I kind of like was actually written by Keith Sykes - who has had a pretty amazing run as a songwriter. Coast of Marseilles - has a few more than 3 chords, but whatever.

Contempt away, folks, it's your time.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Both he and Bob Marley started or at least began in the
    same little bar. (Chart room) .. around the same time.
    imho

5. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    We started playing Margaritaville a while ago, and I've been watching some of his live videos.
    His shows look like a fun time.

william tele likes this.

6. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I don't know his music to "loathe" it, I just don't care for most easy listening pop stuff. However, somewhat older than you, I have similar emotions about the music that inspires me too. Rock that amp basher.

7. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Buffett's really not on my radar. I recognize Margaritaville, but other than that, whatever. He's just one of the 99% of musicians I don't pay any attention to. Doesn't make him ... anything, good or bad.

Obsessed likes this.

8. ce24

ce24 Friend of Leo's

Jan 26, 2008
    Idahoastan
    He's laughing all the way to the bank! I love it!...to bemoan another musicians success is juvenile....but that said rock n roll is juvenile and self centered.

9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    These threads are so revealing. I had to join an internet forum to find out that people actually have CONTEMPT for certain musicians and genres...even though you can almost grab any random five of their songs that are nothing alike and hardly even in the same genre.

People say they hate the Grateful Dead but the above was never more obvious. They probably played 50/50 originals/covers. I know they do jam on for a long time (or did) but at the time they were reinventing music that was a GOOD thing. Allman's did it too...yeah, there are probably folks that even hold ABB music in contempt as well.

I admit to not wanting to hear some songs anymore but the reason is that I've just heard them too many times. Not really the same as having "contempt" for someone's music.

Back to the hate thread...:eek:

10. t guitar floyd

t guitar floyd Tele-Holic

Feb 4, 2016
    sw US
    LOL! Spoken like a true punk . . . which to some people is not really music, but noise made by negative kids (punks) who couldn't play even the 3 Buffett chords, but wanted to bang on distorted guitars and scream about how they hate everything. If your purpose in life is to do what you just said, well then . . . doesn't sound like your life has much creative purpose. :rolleyes: :D

basher likes this.

11. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    My opinion is way better than your opinion.

12. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    Yeah? Well that's just, like, your opinion, man!

13. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I was just about to agree with your opinion when I read Jakedog's opinion. I'm afraid I have to agree with him...sorry.

Ron R and Mr. Lumbergh like this.

14. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    Oooh. Sorry, didn't mean to blow out your flip flop.

t guitar floyd and emisilly like this.

15. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

Nov 4, 2011
    Surprise, AZ
    "Am I the only person who dislikes Jimmy Buffett's music?"

Gosh, no!
    Not "classic", not "rock", but always played on the Classic Rock stations.

Am I the only person who dislikes Billy Joel's music?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

16. william tele

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    You may be right...

17. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    Fresno, Ca
    Never been a big Buffett fan (probably from having to play Margaritaville nonstop in a band years ago), but my wife's family are Parrotheads so I always tread lightly. I got dragged to one of his shows by them about 15 years ago in the SF Bay Area: wasn't bad, loads of people acting crazy and having a great time. Sorta like a Dead show for upper middle class Boomers. I could see how much the in-laws enjoyed themselves, and that's what it's all about, right?

And hey, they paid for my ticket...

t guitar floyd likes this.

18. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 13, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Well that's just, like, his opinion, man!

william tele likes this.

19. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Why thank you.
    I don't bemoan his success. His wealth, fame don't bother me in the least. I just don't dig his music or "vibe". There are plenty of truly despicable people who have attained success, fame or infamy who deserve antipathy. I wouldn't classify JB in that category at all. He's just a musician, author that I don't enjoy.

20. rad1

rad1 Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA
    I just don’t understand the hatred. There are things every day on the front page of the newspaper, (I’m old, we still get one) that can get me upset and worked up. Getting worked up over a performers harmless music, I just don’t get that.

Frodebro likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.