Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Am I the only person who dislikes Jimmy Buffett's music?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by burntfrijoles, Nov 8, 2017.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    I really have never understood the fascination with "Jimmy 3 chord".

This comes up from time to time when his music comes on someone lifts a glass to ol' Jimmy. I will give my typical "meh" response and folks will be astounded that I don't like the "pirate."

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2017

2. tomtama

tomtama TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Jul 23, 2016
    Taunton
    No, you're not alone.

3. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    Latrobe PA
    I do happen to like Buffett, but I think he gets grief for his inane songs such as "Why Don't We Get Drunk..". Personally I cannot stand those.
    But he does have some nicely written, insightful songs ("Survive", "He Went to Paris" etc) that more than offset the party tunes.

Although, I can understand feeling like you're one of few to dislike a popular artist; I cannot listen to Bruce Springsteen and have no idea how he has attained his stature.

4. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Tele-Afflicted

Yes , you are a bad person...... But you can repent. Have a cheeseburger and a Rum drink. You will be forgiven

DonM, SacDAve, Jakedog and 1 other person like this.

5. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    I cannot stand him.

Boil, Obsessed and brookdalebill like this.

6. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Feb 12, 2011
    Around
    Evidently you never had a beer in a tourist town bar after working and
    sweating for a whole year to get there and dream and per chance fish.
    That is the schtick that made it. Not bad..easy listening stuff.
    Yea, I don't understand the shark fin things and what not, but,
    I am a pirate too.!

Toto'sDad likes this.

7. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs
    not a fan but not because of 3 chords

8. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Tele-Meister

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    I've heard his name but, to the best of my knowledge, I've never heard any of his music. On the basis that I'll always try everything once (except for Morris Dancing), I'll get onto Spotify later and report back.

9. telleutelleme

telleutelleme Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Houston
    Well at least he dresses well.

don71 likes this.

10. Johnson johnson

Johnson johnson Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2016
    Memphis
    Get past his novelty songs and he's written some good tunes. My folks do the parrot head thing, it's what retirees do when they still want to "party" and have disposable income...

I personally can't stomach his novelty tunes though.

uriah1 and Jakedog like this.

11. Lonn

Lonn Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    He wrote a book a few years back titled A Pirate looks at 50. I find him to be a great story teller, I got halfway through the book and put it down for about 6 months because I didn't want it to end! He and I share a wanderlust. If I had the $$$ I'd be traveling non-stop.

tarheelbob, uriah1 and Jakedog like this.

12. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Don't like his music or his "Parrothead" level fans, but thankfully modern technology makes it possible for us to almost never hear music we don't like anymore. When I see a grown man decked out in a Tommy Bahama shirt and cargo shorts with sandals in New York in January, I know what I'm dealing with and steer clear.

emisilly, Bob M and studio1087 like this.

13. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Tele-Meister

Mar 21, 2017
    Baltimore
    Of course not. Can't stand it.

brookdalebill likes this.

14. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    No. You are not alone.

What Bones said.

brookdalebill likes this.

15. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    I loathe him. I grew up loathing him. That whole universe of vapid, offensively harmless, boozy, braindead, post-hippie beachbar crap is exactly the kind of thing that, as a musician who came of age at the dawn of the punk era, I consider my purpose in life to smash, rend asunder, and set on fire. And then sweep up the ashes and jump up and down on them.

16. kafka

kafka Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I was gonna say that.

Just the whole world he paints is totally unrealistic and self-centered. There's that one line that really irks me, "some people say there's a woman to blame". Nobody says anything. Nobody cares about anyone else's stupid personal life. Nobody is standing around exonerating you for your personal failures, or blaming anyone else for not saving you from a life of alcoholism. I get that it just rhymes, and it's just a song, but it's kind of the high point of not just the song, but Buffet's whole damned career.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017

17. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Ad Free Member

May 10, 2003
    Near Milwaukee
    He puts on goofy shows for people who really aren't into music.

I've never taken him seriously and I think his music is hokey.

That's just me.

emisilly, drlucky, Fearnot and 3 others like this.

18. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    Can't say as I disagree. I, for one, could never pin down what the heck Jimmy Buffet was supposed to "be." But then again, I get caught up on classifying stuff into categories and genres, so a guy who transcends rock, classic rock, adult contemporary, and country (just because there's nowhere else to stick him) rustles my jimmies just a little. And, is he from the 70's? 80's? 90's? I could never pin a specific decade's sound on him at all. Or, is he an omnipresent being, eternally lurking in the background?

tarheelbob likes this.

19. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 26, 2003
    The North Coast
    A lot of his stuff is overplayed. A lot of his stuff is lowest common denominator novelty crap.

A lot of his stuff is also really, really great songwriting.

I don't need to hear "Fins" or "Margaritaville" ever again. But I always have room for Come Monday, Incommunicado, and A Pirate Looks At 40. Several others as well.

I've never found anything he did nearly as vapid and pointless as the modern country everybody seems to love.

His novels are really fun reads. He ain't no Chuck Dickens, but he can spin a helluva fun yarn. A Salty Piece of Land is highly recommended.

20. pondcaster

pondcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2010
    Tryon, NC
    Clownish for the last 30 years, for sure. Cringe worthy.

But go listen to White Sport Coat, Living and Dying, A1A, and lastly Havaña Daydreaming.

Excellent stuff. The Marvin Gardens years. If you've not and hate him, give it a listen. You're welcome.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.