Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Am I the only one doing this?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rooboo, Sep 19, 2018.

1. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    I love my teles but I do not give much for the way they're usually wired. One tone knob for both pickups is a bad idea since the neck pu needs the tone knob to be full on to clear up, and the bridge pu needs the tone knob to be really backed down to tame the treble overload in these guitars.

Am I the only one doing this mod? I call it the antimud mod.

It's a really easy mod. You just cut the wire that goes from the tone pot to the volume pot. And solder it back so it goes from the tone pot to the lug for bridge lead input on the toggle switch. That's it!

You’ll get a neck pickup with full on tone and a bridge pickup with a dedicated tone pot. I use it on both my teles.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018

2. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    Wish I'd known that a few months ago as the bridge pickup on my Tele used to drive me nuts.

Probably part due to my less than 100% hearing, but I used to do all sorts to back off the over-bright twang. Eventually, I got the pickups replaced with some that are a lot better, to my ears.

telemnemonics and rooboo like this.

3. guitartwonk

guitartwonk TDPRI Member

Dec 30, 2017
    Swindon UK
    Cool idea. And because the tone isn't connected to the neck pup at all, that pup will be even brighter than with a connected tone on "full". It's effectively "no-load" on the neck.

Hope you don't mind if I borrow this for my "how-to" file?

bender66 and rooboo like this.

4. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    Only done this with a Tele with Humbucker neck pickup so that that pickup bypasses the tone knob and it only works on Bridge. Great way to balance the two. No need to swap out that Humbucker.... just adjust your tone stack for it and then vary the tone for the bridge.

rooboo likes this.

5. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Jun 21, 2018
    Canada
    That's a good idea for a mod! The Tone control is very useful for the bridge pup but not so much for the neck.

I saw some other mod where you change the Tone control to a "Blend" control so you can blend you desired mix of bridge and neck pups --- this is only useful for middle position thoug I guess

I also really want to try wiring both pups in series to create a long range humbucker , having a "Global" Tone control is then much more useful or that blend option

Although wiring it into an effective humbucker would in itself kill some of harsh high harmonics anyway

rooboo and Kriticaster like this.

6. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Jun 21, 2018
    Canada
    I really like your idea though it makes total sense, it's almost like "Classic" Strat Tone control where the bridge gets no tone control except in reverse!

rooboo likes this.

7. Backbeat8

Backbeat8 Tele-Holic

Jun 21, 2018
    Canada
    I think if you think of it in conjunction with the volume control, maybe it would be useful to wire the neck pup to only the volume control, so effectively you get "attenuation" option for both bridge and neck!

Then you could have that "blend" option but it would be a manual blend using each knob to blend while in the middle position

Because both volume and tone are just attenuation anyway, the tone is just like a low pass filter attenuating the high frequencies

That's one thing I really do like about LPs and Strats is how you can shape sounds independently, basically like a synth with two oscillators, and then blend in each into so many different combos of Tone/Volume

If you bypass the Volume Attenuation though on the Bridge Pup, then you won't be able to use "breakup" on the amp any more though I guess....which is important. Or would that still work....is "Amp Breakup" frequency-dependent or or is it how much overall energy you are allowing to pass through...

8. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    Not at all! Share along, that's what's this forum is for!

9. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2007
    Indiana
    Nice!

rooboo likes this.

10. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Oct 10, 2010
    Twangers Medows USA
    Most useful tip ive seen around here in a very long time! Thank you Sir....

rooboo likes this.

11. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    No worries, that's what forums are for, right? Good luck with the wiring! :)

12. golfnut

golfnut Tele-Afflicted

Jan 15, 2008
    Canada
    I wouldn't see any benefit of this. The only time I might turn the tone down (rarely) is when I'm in bridge mode only. When I have both pickups or neck only active I never have a need to adjust the tone knob. So I think its perfect as designed.

rooboo and MilwMark like this.

13. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I just use pickups I like and adjust them to sound the way I want. I don't think a Tele bridge pickup "needs" the tone rolled off. Unless I"m going for a tone-rolled-off sound or a room is unusually bright. Then I just roll it off a bit. Sometimes I do want a real warm neck sound so I roll the tone off on it.

Edit - cool mod but not for me.

14. JCL50

JCL50 Tele-Meister

Jul 31, 2017
    Normandy, France
    Thanks for this wiring idea. I think I'll give it a try.

rooboo likes this.

15. ELET Henry

ELET Henry Tele-Meister

Aug 21, 2008
    Devon UK
    Interesting mod that’s easily reversed if you don’t like it and no new parts to buy. I’ll give it a try.

rooboo likes this.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Nextm folks will be wanting two tone and two volume controls!

tfarny and ClashCityTele like this.

17. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    Well then that just super! No need to fix if it ain't broken. :)
    I swap pickups quite a lot, often in the middle of a solo, and for that this wiring is just super.

hellopike likes this.

18. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    Yes that's the best part. It's a really easy mod, very little soldering involved. And because of that, very easy to reverse.

19. rooboo

rooboo Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2017
    Sweden
    Next? The Fender Telecaster Deluxe have been sporting that set up for a whopping 46 years now. :) So it's very available, nothing for me though. I love the classic tele look, and the simplicity of the original construction.

howardlo likes this.

20. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I find the twisted tele neck pickup on the 50s Baja gives me a lot of room to manouevre. Roll off the tone and the neck is still sharp.

But yes, a useful mod.

rooboo likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.