Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Am I the only Mac user with this problem here?

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by Hexabuzz, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Hexabuzz

Hexabuzz Friend of Leo's

Dec 13, 2014
    Northeast PA
    That since the "update", the site is a complete dog on Safari to the point that it just gives me a spinning beach ball and I have to close the tab?

Other browsers are fine (posting this from Chrome) but Safari is now basically unusable for me

kkfaudio likes this.
  2. kafka

kafka Tele-Holic

Oct 18, 2013
    Maryland
    I'm just fine on High Sierra.

3. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Mar 23, 2003
    Midland TX
    No ptoblem on Hi Sierra or latest IOS for iPad here

4. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    I had this problem a few months ago, Hexabuzz.

Eventually my iMac began displaying a black screen, even though I could hear all the signs that the son of a ***** was acting normally, and responding to typical key strokes.

I took it in to my local 'Mac Resource' store, and the guy at the counter laughed at me.

"This is a 2009 iMac. It's obsolete. It won't even accommodate the latest software upgrades and operating system. It's time to retire this old girl."

Can't have nothin'.

:(

5. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

Feb 27, 2017
    Palmetto, Florida
    The new Safari won't let me log into this site. I thought it was the site migration transition but it turns out it was the new OS update I did (Sierra 10.12) so I'm back to using a newer version of Firefox. No problems with Firefox

6. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2007
    Just passing thru
    What's the "update" exactly? I'm on Mojave and Safari with no issues.

7. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Mojave/Safari here, too, on the latest updates. Cruising along fine. You might want to clear your browser history and cookies and see if that gets it back up to speed.

8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I have no problem now, running Mac El Cap. I only run Chrome, though.

But a month ago, I did have a problem. This site, ONLY, on Chrome ONLY, the links in the notification emails stopped working. I had to either view the source and copy/paste the url, or ... well, that. Real pain in the butt. I was thinking it was me, and somehow El Cap had reached end of useful life, but then through no action on my part, the problem disappeared.

I emailed the owner once I verified it appeared to be related to TDPRI, but I got zip nada squat for a response. The issue lasted a couple weeks.

Tonetele likes this.
  9. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 11, 2006
    Greater Boston
    HighSierra / Safari and not having any issues.

10. BelairPlayer

BelairPlayer Tele-Afflicted

Jun 22, 2010
    Ca
    Do you run an ad blocker? Some sites have so many ads loading in the background that it bogs everything down to a standstill. I use uBlock Origin. I have no issues running High Sierra 10.13.6 and Safari 12.0.1.

11. GGardner

GGardner Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2017
    NJ
    I just had a problem logging onto the site on Safari. It wouldn't recognize my user name/password. Then i did it on Chrome and the problem went away.

12. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    i use firefox , i refuse to use google

13. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga
    That guy sounds like a tool. I just had my repaired my a local business that only deals with Macs.

14. spupilup

spupilup TDPRI Member

Nov 4, 2018
    New England
    I'm using an iMac from 2012, with Mojave beta 10.14.1 with no problems using Safari on this site. I'm just amazed at how often the site seems to be down for one reason or another. I also can't believe how much this site gets spammed. Earlier this morning one of the forums had pages and pages of spam.

For me, other sites, like PayPal are problematic with Safari. PayPal always suggests using Chrome or Firefox.

Don't even get me started on my iMac's Photo app that's part of Mojave. A complete clusterf*@k. About a third of all my photos have digital artifacts when I export them. I finally figured out a way around the problem but Apple has been slow to provide a real fix. Needless to say, I'm not alone with this problem. I have hopes the problem will be remedied with 10.14.2.

15. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

We just got rid of an '09 iMac. Its graphics card died for the second time. I actually watched YouTube videos on how to replace it and was going to do it myself.
    But these are notorious for having the graphics card go out. If you look into an iMac that's been opened up I'm not surprised that those cards tend to overheat and
    fry. Everything is crammed in there and there's not a lot of cooling.

Your problem sounds different- a software thang. If rebooting or cold booting doesn't resolve it, and deleting cookies/history, etc., doesn't fix it, another option might
    be to try uninstalling then reinstalling Safari. Kind of like changing guitar strings, would remove all the crud and start you out nice and fresh.

16. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

17. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Snow Leopard on a 2009 1/2 MacBook Pro using Safari. No issues. A little slower than my wife's old iPad that I use a lot though.

18. Sparky2

Sparky2 Tele-Afflicted

Apr 15, 2017
    Harvest, Alabama
    Eh.

I'm using my wife's old Lenovo laptop for my home computer now.
    It's doing okay, until I decide what to do with the broke-dick iMac.

I appreciate the thought though.
    I'll do some networking, and see who (around here) might be able to breathe more life into the old beastie.

:)

19. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

If you want to ski off-piste, install Linux! I had an old Windows Box that ran great on Win 7 for many years but would have run like a dog on Win 10.
    I didn't want to have to buy Win 10, either, anyway. So I watched some YouTube videos on how to do it and then installed Kubuntu. It's amazing-- runs like
    a champ, runs super super fast, and there's tons of free software. I did my research, learned how to make it low latency, how to run JACK audio connector,
    installed the new native Linux Reaper DAW, a free
    virtual synthesizer, and have been having fun with this machine. The big downside is that a lot of software that you might want to use isnt' supported in
    Linux. There is usually a similar application (for free!!), but if you absolutely have to have ProTools, or Ableton, or Photoshop, you can't get it on Linux--
    just something similar. For that reason at some point I might break down and buy a Windows or Mac box some day, but I'm trying to see how well
    I can get by doing what I want to do with free Linux. I'm still in the trial period for native Linux REAPER DAW, but if I like it I would happily pay $60 for it to the
    developers. Most of the time I am able to use the Kubuntu GUI, but I have had to learn some terminal command line stuff. If you ever used DOS commands,
    it's not too hard to do command line stuff again. (Back in the day I knew VAX VMS, and before that, Harris mainframe OS.) Linux is based on Unix
    so it's not that crazy at all. Mac OS is also a descendant of Unix...so many of the terminal commands look pretty similar, actually.

The other route I would probably go if I decide my Linux box is holding me up would be just to buy the latest iPAD.
    There are tons of apps out there for iPAD, including drum machines, synthesizers,
    DAWS, MIDI, etc., and with the right connectors you can do just about anything with an iPAD that you used to need a laptop for. For certain applications,
    the touch screen is actually a better interface. For example, on a DAW, or virtual synthesizer/drum machine,
    you can move the sliders and knobs by touching them on the screen rather
    than using a mouse.

My only caveat on that is if you go out and buy something like a Moog hardware synthesizer, it may come bundled with a software application
    that helps manage patches or whatever, and that software usually only runs on Mac OS or Windows, not on iOS. Over time I suspect more and more of these
    support apps will also be ported to iOS, but we'll see.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.