Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Am I going to have to replace this nut??

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by IronSchef, Nov 14, 2017.

1. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

So, I have built several partscasters now, and have had various challenges I had to overcome w/ each build (learning experience, right?) ... well on this build I have an issue I have not yet run across.

I seem to be constantly running the E string off the fretboard when fretting up near the headstock. As far as I can tell, the neck is in good alignment, it just appears like the nut is perhaps shifted, or the slots are just cut wrong.

I don't seem to have this issue on any of my other 4 tele, or ANY of my other guitars, for that matter. Never had to replace a nut, but I am fearing this is going to be that time (advice welcome):

2017-11-14 16.46.37.jpg

2. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

Feb 23, 2006
    Ottawa, ON, Canada
    It definitely looks like the high E string is too close to the edge of the fretboard. The spacing doesn't look too consistent either. I would replace it.

teleaddicted and IronSchef like this.

3. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Yep! Now you have that excuse you've been waiting for to get some nut files!

What's the story on the neck? Cracked nitro headstock finish, looks like pyramid-shaped crowns on the frets... cheap plastic nut...

boris bubbanov and IronSchef like this.

4. IronSchef

It's a 2015 road worn 50s tele neck I traded for - oh well, time to learn!

5. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Looks like someone rolled the fretboard on the treble side making the string closer to the edge too.

boris bubbanov, swany, Iago and 3 others like this.

6. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Tele-Afflicted

Feb 25, 2011
    Kentucky
    I agree. It looks like they removed too much wood to make it thinner. If you look closer that first fret (and the wood around it) actually bulges out a bit. Wonder if fender did this at the factory to create the road worn feel or is this someone's mod?

IronSchef likes this.

7. Frank'n'censed

Frank'n'censed Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 27, 2011
    Parts Unknown
    ”Am I going to have to replace this nut??”

I aint goin anywhere! ;):eek::lol:

BorderRadio and IronSchef like this.

8. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    How can there be any confusion about what needs to be done?

moosie and aerhed like this.

9. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 22, 2012
    North Bay Ont. Canada
    Who ever did it sure did leave it with an issue with a standard cut nut . String spacing on a new nut may have to be sacrifice to fix that issue.

IronSchef likes this.

10. user34603

user34603 Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2016
    Richmond VA
    simple solution is get an experienced setup guy to fix it and explain what he did. It's delicate and the nuts slots have to be cut angled back and at the right points sise to side and deepe enough and the nut installed in the slot correctly. Simple.... if you know how to do it and did it dozens or hundreds of times. See my point ?

IronSchef likes this.

11. dsutton24

dsutton24 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Dec 29, 2010
    Illinois
    Maybe it's the angle of the photo, but it looks to me as if the nut is shifted toward the high e side. Can you tap it toward the low E side a bit?

LKB3rd and IronSchef like this.

12. IronSchef

TY, @dsutton24 - you nailed it!!

My eyes aren't so great anymore, but when I got some optics on it, I could see you were right - the nut DID seem like it was shifted a bit.

I did not think the thing would move - but w/. a few taps it sure did move, just a bit ... its amazing how MUCH difference a SMALL adjustment can make, holy crap!

It's made enough of a difference that my pinky is not pulling the string off the fb - I'm a happy guy right now! :)

Mellencaster, moosie and trev333 like this.

13. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I thought it might be a 43mm width nut in a 42mm fretboard and sanded down at the edges....

glad a small bump over did the trick...

IronSchef likes this.

14. user34603

user34603 Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2016
    Richmond VA
    ...I saw this, too. To be able to tap it back into place is nice! Easy and it works. I might put the tiniest 1/2 drop of yellow glue on the back channel/saddle joint and wipe clean with a damp QTip. Just enough to keep the nut fixed in place all the time.
    The dude dodged a bullet.

15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    There still appears to be a spacing issue. Treble strings have more space between than wound strings. Like someone laid it out on string centers instead of keeping the same space between the edges of the strings.

Also, it seems that shoving the nut to the bass side just pushes the problem over there. The bass side edge spacing in the photo is about right. Much closer and it's going to be falling off.

I see this as a valid, but ultimately short term solution.

It's not like this is a nut worth keeping or anything. Plastic, and you can see the dark shaded areas around the slots, where (likely) super glue has been used to fill and recut the slots. I do that, too, but only for a short term fix.

But before you go to the trouble, again hard to tell from one photo, but the excessive edge rolling and the strangely crowned frets should be addressed, IMO.

16. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Glad bumping it helped, but as others have said, probably not ideal for long term. I don't think this is a neck you want to learn on. You need to take this to a pro for a custom nut install. Looks like the frets need to be worked also.

17. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Meister

Jul 29, 2009
    Howell, NJ
    Perfect opportunity to learn how to replace a nut. If you don’t wanna to invest in proper nut files, get a a Tusq XL nut from Stewmac. YouTube has a bunch of tutorials on how to do this. It’s not rocket science, just takes patience to take your time. Read how to setup the proper string action at nut, neck releif, and action at the saddles.

18. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

Jan 10, 2013
    CT
    Regular school glue or "Elmer's " glue, just a small drop, should be enough to keep it in place, and if/when you want to take it out again, should pop free easily. Wood glue is overkill and can make it more difficult to remove.
    I'd personally leave it if the problem is fixed and it's working fine now.

19. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I would not glue that cheap looking nut in. I suspect it is not stock to that guitar, but a replacement and a cheap one at that.

Instead, get it out of there are put a preslotted Tusq nut in there - see how that suits you. I prefer to remove the excess material slowly and gradually from the UNDERSIDE of the precut Tusq nut. Buy a few; they're cheap. If you mess up one, just set it aside and work on another.

Check out the Spacklehoss Tutorial off the Internet.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.