Am I going nuts by nuts?

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by hermok, Jun 24, 2019.

1. hermok

hermok Tele-Meister

Hepp hepp! Im putting together a strat for the first time and bought a used Squier neck online. What type of nut did this neck have and what should I use? Some kind of locking nut or Lsr nut?

Looking from above the strings seams to drag the Nut slightly to the left. Will this be a problem?

20190624_120003.jpg 20190624_120152.jpg

2. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Squier necks are narrower at the nut than fender ones... you probably need a narrower nut designed to fit the squier, or file it to fit better.. assuming you can make that work with that string spacing.

3. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Afflicted

I make each nut to fit each neck. When I'm done I put two TINY drops of CA on the bottom of the nut so it won't fall out. When I have to remove it a tap on the end with a small drift will pop it right out.

4. hermok

hermok Tele-Meister

Sounds right. It measures 42mm. Standard Fender is 43 mm. What problems could I encounter with the string spacing?

5. hermok

hermok Tele-Meister

In the picture you can see a graphtech nut. If you had to buy a Nut what would you use here?

6. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

It looks like somebody had a locking nut on there. With a Floyd rose nut, you had to rout off the wood in front of the net and make it a ledge. To use a Fender style nut, you'd have to replace the wood that was lost to fit it in a slot, which would need to be made in the new wood. Another option would be to just glue a rectangular nut up against the wood like Gibson does.

This is probably not the same style nut, as two larger holes have to be drilled through for bolts.

https://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_an...MIidD6wuOC4wIVisJkCh01vgH3EAQYASABEgL30fD_BwE

It could have been this style which is held by just screws

https://www.ebay.com/p/Kahler-Style...parts-BP-0278-003/2256161284?iid=223547845687

Dismalhead likes this.
  7. Freeman Keller

I only do plain old cow bone. If someone specifically asks for something else I will make it, but every one of my guitars and probably 90 percent of the nuts I've made for others are bone. I won't touch ivory, no matter how long its been dead or how "legal" it is. Synthetic nuts are fine, they are really optimized for casting to shape and automatic machining.

Remember a couple of things about nuts - the minute you fret a string the nut is out of the picture. However it is also one of the most important parts of a good setup - almost all factory nuts are too high (intentionally). Remember that some Fenders have flat bottom nut slots, some are the same radius as the f/b (which I hate).

I did a little thread on how I approach setups in general. A ways down on page two I show how I make a nut

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/basic-setup.952636/

8. hermok

hermok Tele-Meister

So the easiest route would be the Floyd locking nut?

9. guitarbuilder

Well you'd have to take the measurements of the holes and see if they match up first. Does it look like the Floyd or Kahler nut? It's hard to see the holes.

10. Freeman Keller

Do you need a locking nut? They are most commonly used on guitars with tremolos to try to maintain tuning accuracy. I argue that you don't need them if the nut is cut correctly. The are a pain in the butt to use - get more or less in tune, lock the nut down, then use the fine tuners on the bridge. They are also a pain to set the string height at the first fret.

Not only that, there are a bazillian choices - be sure to get the correct one. Oh, and they are kind of expensive too

https://www.wdmusic.com/media/floyd_rose_chart.html

If you don't need one then simply make a nut to fit your fretboard. It doesn't have to be a Fender nut if your neck doesn't have a Fender nut slot. bone blanks come in all sizes (and you can get cow bone at a butcher shop). The really nice thing about making your own nut is that you can customize string spacing and offset from the sides. You can dial the first fret action in perfectly to your playing style. Its cheap - five bucks for the blank and an hour of your time.

I assume you read the setup link I gave you.

11. hermok

hermok Tele-Meister

I read your setup link. Great info especially on nut height and the first fret. But I'm looking for something I can just install on this guitar. Making one might be out of my leauge at this point. Maybe someday.

12. E-miel

E-miel TDPRI Member

I'm not really experienced with locking nuts, but I would imagine that for mounting one of those you not only route away fretboard material on the peghead side but also on the fret side. This to compensate for the string touching point on the locking nut not being right on the edge of the locking nut. As I said, I'm not sure, but I would measure the distance between the fretboard edge and the first fret and check if it matches the scale size. Measuring never hurts :)

edge_fret1.png

13. guitarbuilder

Locking nuts butt up to the fretboard where a normal nut would go. The distance from the nut edge to fret 1 remains the same. The leading edge of the metal is the start of the string length just like a bone nut would be. The excavation of fretboard takes place behind that original saw cut. Imagine you have a les paul or a Strat...you remove the nut. On the Fender, you have a nut slot. The nut slot has to be removed and the material behind it without cutting into the remaining fretboard wood toward fret one. Take a look at this:

http://www.georgemangos.com/floyd/

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  14. E-miel

E-miel TDPRI Member

@guitarbuilder,

That clarifies a lot, thank you. Interesting link too! Would that also be the case with these roller types bridges? It looks like the screw-holes quite line up with the holes on @hermok his neck.

[​IMG]

15. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

There is a 'zero fret' nut option out there you might try too....

I cut nuts from a piece of scrap corian countertop backsplash I have. You might get a sample or scrap from an offcut from a kitchen store (for free or small cost).

The key most important issue you need to figure out is the measurement of that wall at the nut vs first and 12th fret. A mm or 0.04inch off can be a problem for tuning open and then fretting will be out of tune. You may need to install a strip or two of veneer to rebuild that front wall to get your new nut set correctly.

A regular 'Strat/Tele' nut will be too short. Look for blanks made for Les Paul guitars as they are designed to be more than the thickness of the fretboard high. File off the string grooves so you have a clean slate to layout your new string positions. You can use another nut or guitar to measure spacing for the grooves.

A 'welding tip file set' for $3-$7 at the hardware store can cut all your nut slots. You only need the fancier nut slot sets if you are doing a dozen plus guitar setups a year.

16. hermok

hermok Tele-Meister

The holes are 28 mm apart. I'll have to check online. The Kahler is not a Nut only a locking system? Looks like I have to make one myself if this is going to be right

17. hermok

hermok Tele-Meister

This looks like the best option right now

18. E-miel

E-miel TDPRI Member

The holes on those roller nuts are 27.5mm apart. But the width of the nut itself is 43mm, which would be to wide.

[​IMG]

19. guitarbuilder

The locking nut is only part of the locking system. The Trem bridge, Kahler, Floyd or variants have the ball end of the string locked in place at that end too. Using the nut only could be like using locking tuners.

20. guitarbuilder

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.