Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Am I a wuss for wanting forearm contour?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by krueger, Sep 22, 2011.

1. krueger

krueger Tele-Meister

Sep 7, 2011
    Sweden
    Got my first tele-style guitar a few weeks ago. I really love it and have been playing it for many hours. Problem is I find the lack of contour for the forearm quite tiring.

Any suggestions from veterans here? (Anything except playing less appreciated)

2. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

Jun 16, 2009
    austin texas
    Being a Strat player who also plays Teles I like to change from each one because I enjoy the differences each one has.Tonally each one will excel at certain things,songs and styles and I also like the way they feel different.So I don't miss the forearm contour when playing a Tele because I enjoy what a classic,vintage style Tele is all about.I adapt to a Tele and won't play it the same way I do a Strat and vice versa.

3. doruondun

doruondun Tele-Meister

Sep 6, 2009
    Istanbul
    Don't be a wuss, you will get used to it ;)

4. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

May 9, 2010
    Singapore
    It's called a slab guitar for a reason mate.

5. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 3, 2009
    Suffolk Coast
    Never heard anyone call Mr Beck a 'wuss'!

jbeckesq.jpg

6. krueger

krueger Tele-Meister

Sep 7, 2011
    Sweden

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    If its your only guitar, you like it, and its not valuable, modify away.
    Your instrument is your voice (if you don't sing).
    Bend it to your will!

8. Scotty 2

Scotty 2 Tele-Holic

Jun 22, 2007
    Ft.Pierce,Florida
    Nobody's a wuss for having things "their way".
    Never put yourself in someone elses character,,,,,,,
    That shows your own character weakness.
    This is not my opinion.It's in the Drs. Medical Journal..
    Check it out,,, and get your guitar contoured if you choose.

9. bluemud928

bluemud928 Tele-Meister

Feb 7, 2009
    westfield,MA
    i wouldn't mind a forearm contour myself, but i hate belly cuts.

10. dog fart

dog fart Friend of Leo's

Dec 16, 2009
    North Carolina
    Time to break out the belt sander :twisted:

11. frankthomson

frankthomson Tele-Afflicted

Jun 12, 2003
    Camelot
    it aint a tele unless i bruise my forearm :D

12. TaylorPlayer

TaylorPlayer Tele-Afflicted

My Warmoth Tele has both the forearm cut and body contour. It also has a contour at the cut away area. Personally, I love it! It's what made me bond with it so quickly. I loved Strats but wanted a Tele sound. Now my Tele gets all the love. It sounds like a Tele but feels like a Strat! That is heaven in my opinion. :D

RYAN1987M likes this.

13. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South
    not a wuss, maybe just a little OCD...

If it bothers you enough to distract you from enjoying the tone; break out the sander like mr. fart stated, otherwise use it as an excuse to get another new guitar. But, keep the Tele...

14. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    Except that Mr. Beck didn't do that to the guitar - John Maus (of Walker Brothers fame) did - and I doubt that Mr. Beck bought it because of the contour ... Probably in spite of it.

Exactly! Contours on a Tele is just WRONG! :oops:

15. garrett

garrett Tele-Afflicted

Apr 20, 2007
    I actually had trouble with the lack of belly cut at first. I used to get a bruise on my ribs, but it went away after a month or two. For the forearm, I adjusted my playing position without any trouble.

That said, contours are a beautiful thing!

[​IMG]

16. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    Not a wuss at all.... a big part of having a guitar is having it the way you want it... If t=you let outside influences press you to accept features you don't really want, it's gonna nag at ya in back of your head forever...

Go for it.....

Ron Kirn

17. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway
    I realize that you're right, Ron - but in an ideal world a Tele should have no contours! :D

18. tap4154

tap4154 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 14, 2009
    Southern California
    [​IMG]

Hey! That might be a good way to weight-relieve/mod a vintage blonde CV50 :D

I've already "defiled" mine by putting a chunky Indo Squier '51 neck on it, and am handy with a belt sander... maybe I'll make it into an Indo-Chinese Beck replica?

(seriously thinking about it)

19. RockerDuck

RockerDuck Friend of Leo's

Jan 29, 2010
    Marietta,GA
    I read about Eric Johnson saying he had a 54 stratocaster that played good but he didn't like the pickup or the setup. He kept it original. Then one day he decided that he really wanted to play the guitar and modified it. Qualifying it by why just look at it, play it and modify it the way you like.

20. geetarfreek82

geetarfreek82 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2010
    Moosic, PA
    I currently have 5 Teles and a Strat, and I find that playing the Strat actually fatigues my right arm more quickly... It's all about the picking angle. For me I like having my arm out over the slab body, where my arm and hand are parallel to the body. On the Strat I don't have that anchor to rest my arm on that I have with a Tele, and my wrist is bent at more of an angle. I don't know, I actually have thought about ordering a Strat body from Warmoth without the contours! I also don't like the back "gut cut" but that may just be me lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.