Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Aluminum plate for Tele/Strat top?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by reddy2300, Sep 27, 2017.

1. reddy2300

reddy2300 TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    Dublin, Ohio
    I was contemplating a future build based on a piece of raw ash that I have. My plan is to rout the body to shape, chamber it and add a 1/4" thick top made of plate aluminum. (I know I can't rout the aluminum.)

Has anyone done this? I was bouncing the idea off a friend and he mentioned that feedback might be a problem since the pickups would be mounted and surrounded by metal.

I'm not sure if I'd polish or "brush" the metal. So, opinions on that are requested, too.

I think it'd be a pretty neat build. I'd like to see pics of one that's 'in-process' or even finished.

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Google 'Gigliotti Guitars'

I first saw one in the hands of Joe Bonamassa in Nashville early '00's.

[​IMG]

3. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Holic

May 1, 2017
    Denver, CO
    Well you can mill the aluminum and that's basically the same as routing! Aluminum isn't ferrous so I'm not too sure how it would affect your pickups.

4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I had an Aluminum Fender Guard on a Strat. Not sure what 'Eddy' had to say about it, but I did not notice ill effects from the field which no doubt existed electrically. Not so I noticed. ;)

5. NotAnotherHobby

NotAnotherHobby Tele-Afflicted

Oct 27, 2015
    Da' Magic Mittin'
    Given that when you shield your pickups you're surrounding them with metal, I'd say you don't have much to worry about.

Feedback requires your amplified signal to be introduced to the pickups roughly in-phase with the vibration of the strings. Not sure how a top that is only semi-magnetic (i forget what the term is) would produce that effect.

People have made welded guitars before. I'd look one of them up to see if that was an issue.

6. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    1/4" aluminum would be quite heavy, and unnecessarily so. Something like 0.090" would be entirely sufficient, especially as you're not forming it and could get it in a decent heat treat.

In addition to brished or polished, you might check out engine-turned.
    [​IMG]

fenderchamp likes this.

7. joealso

joealso Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    East Haddam, CT
    Joe's looking good! :lol:

8. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Those aren't Joe's hands you're looking at.

joealso likes this.

9. joealso

joealso Tele-Meister

Dec 25, 2012
    East Haddam, CT
    Well I'll be damned. There are hands in that pic! And such a nice pair too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.