Alternatives to Zoom A3

Discussion in 'Acoustic Heaven' started by Paul in Colorado, May 16, 2019.

1. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I had in my mind some kind of modeling pedal with different instrument sounds, different mic models and effects in a compact pedal for live use. Today I discovered the Zoom A3 which tic's most of the boxes, so I went shopping for one. They have been discontinued and if you can find a new one they go for around $300!

Luckily, I found one for $132.00 so I snagged it. I don't have it yet, so I can't tell you if it's the acoustic modeling pedal of my dreams. The replacement has less features and less of the features I'd like.

But are there any other pedals out there like an A3 with modeling features and effects in a pedal? Maybe something more for other acoustic instruments as well. I play mandolin, too and I know fiddlers who could use something like this for live shows.

2. Greg.Coal

Greg.Coal Tele-Afflicted

Korg AX10A

also discontinued

Why model when you can buy all those instruments? I know it's what you want to do .... :)

3. Ian T

Ian T Tele-Holic

I use the Zoom G3 for nylon string wedding ceremony work. I'm a gear nut and have thought about upgrading so something designed for acoustic, but it sounds so great that there is simply no need. I use the Zoom for a little compression, some subtle delay and hall reverb, direct into a QSC K12. It sounds amazing. No need for mic modeling, EQ adjustments. I've also used a Helix for this, but I get better tones from the Zoom. It just works, and its easy.

I imagine the A3 has many of the same effects, plus mic modeling if that's what you are after. You might be surprised.

4. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I very recently got a Zoom 3GXn and have been using it with my nylon string multiac. It runs into my Fishman loudbox mini, so I haven't messed with amps/cabs/mic patches. I'm using for modulation, delay, reverb, and it's fun to be able to get such a range of colors. I like it so far, though recently I've been wondering how I could use the fairly extensive eq functions to fine tune it for the nylon string.

Ian T likes this.
  5. Paul in Colorado

Sure it's what I want to do, but my bank account is arguing with me about it. :(

I think I might have one of those Korg's packed away. We got it for our fiddler who got scared off as it had too many knobs. As I recall there was something about it I didn't like, but I couldn't tell you what it was at this point.

It looks like I have the simpler version without the expression pedal.

6. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

About six or seven years ago I picked up a G3 to use on our acoustic duo/trio gigs just to see if it would be good enough. I had the same experience - it was perfect for my needs. I've been hammering on mine ever since, probably a couple hundred gigs or so on the thing. Hasn't even hiccuped. In fact my acoustic pedalboard (such as it is) has grown around the G3 as its nucleus. It works so well and I like it so much that I'm getting another one as backup. The G3 was discontinued some time ago. A buddy of mine has one and he has set it aside for me.

We've done a couple tight space/quick load in gigs where I've used only the G3 running on battery power. Again, perfect.

I usually run it into the front of my Loudbox Mini which I use as a personal monitor with a line out to the board, but when I've used only the G3 its DI out has come in handy.

I use an external tap tempo switch for the delays. The Hall reverb sounds very, very good to me. Tape echo is nice, EQ is handy, compressor is effective if used subtly. I even used the auto wah when I want to get silly with it, and that turns some heads when people realize there's an acoustic act playing - ha .

I just picked up one of the new Acoustasonic Teles so I'm going to explore whether I can use the G3 to shape some of the 'electric' tones to be useful in our trio.

Last edited: May 17, 2019
    Ian T likes this.
  7. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

I have heard a guy doing live solo jazz guitar, and sounding great, using one of those Tele-shaped piezo-equipped Godins onto a Yamaha AG Stomp driving some powered speaker.

I have a Zoom B2 and while I’ve never tried an acoustic through it, when it’s not being the front half my bass rig it is fully capable of decent electric guitar and lap steel sounds.

As a side note, it amuses me that my favorite electric guitar sound is based on Zoom’s Hartke HA3500 amp model, my favorite lap steel sound occurs in their Acoustic 360 model and my favorite bass sound starts in their Marshall Superbass model. Am I a tonal contrarian?

8. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Tele-Afflicted

fishman aura has been made in various sizes and flavors. I've got the original pedal which doubles as fishing boat anchor, constructed of more aluminum than a 747. The aura is a modeler that can remove a lot of piezo quack, but requires a degree in science to understand exactly what the knobs do and when.

upload_2019-5-17_9-58-4.jpeg

(also used by nasa to launch rockets, when the main computer goes down)

Yamaha Stomp though long discontinued still has a strong following,
    there is also the MagicStomp which is touted for its reverbs and echos, very popular for those doing Shadows covers like Apache.

upload_2019-5-17_9-56-34.jpeg

these folks made an article about some of these things:

https://www.guitarplayer.com/frets/12-pedals-acoustic-players-should-check-out

9. Paul in Colorado

Huh. I figured that there would be some kind of tweaky high end boutique modeling preamp with EQ, compression and effects all in one box. I guess not.

10. Jupiter

Nah, I’m pretty sure there are exactly those, at least a couple that I looked at online, but I can’t remember em... I ended up not going that way because I wanted one pedal for acoustic and electric. But as I recall they even had one-box solutions for acoustic guitar and vocals.

11. Jupiter

BOSS has the AD-10 with delay, chorus and compressor, and the VE-8 is the one that includes vocal harmonizer and funky effects. It’s not exactly modeling, I guess, but there are a lot of tweaks available (anti-feedback, resonance, etc.)

Zoom still has AC-2 and 3, which are supposed to model several different guitars; AC-3 has a pile of modulation effects too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.