Alternative tools to shape a neck

Discussion in 'The DIY Tool Shed' started by Slowtwitch, Apr 14, 2019 at 1:46 AM.

1. Slowtwitch

Slowtwitch Tele-Meister

If you don't own a nice set of rasps and wood files, what do the guys use to shape the neck profile?

I've tried an angle grinder, but it's dodge and doesn't work that well :twisted:

2. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

I do most of the work using a spokeshave, a small block plane and a scraper...You can finish it off with sandpaper and a few sanding cauls. Metal files do work too in a pinch.
    Are you working with a tight budget or is it simply that you don't like rasps? Both are ok :)
    A decent spokeshave should be around 20$ on ebay, and you can do a lot with them. I never liked rasps, they can make too much of a mess and create hours of extra work if things get out of hand.

3. DonM

DonM Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

This is how the guy that made my custom LP did it. He made three guitars for George Harrison and some for Paul McCartney, Andy Summers and Mike Campbell.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpeg

brandonh, eallen, nnieman and 2 others like this.
  4. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've tried a spokeshave, surform tool, rasp, files, abrasives, 45 degree router bit, and handrail bit for flat surfaces. Half round files and rasps, drum sander sleeves, abrasive around dowels for the non flat surfaces. They all work. The width of the farrier's rasp leaves the flattest surface for me. I figure I'd go too far with any power tool, so there's no time savings there for me.

In the end I use the farrier rasp which has a coarse side and a file side. A large half round rasp( also has a flat side), and a large half round wood file. These tools get the work done. I follow up with a scraper and abrasives.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019 at 5:37 AM
  5. wingcommander

wingcommander TDPRI Member

I personal favourite definition for an angle grinder is "electric power tool used for making things too small". ;)

Mr. Neutron, eallen, nnieman and 2 others like this.
  6. mjr428

mjr428 Tele-Meister

What tools do you have? I have a set of cheap rasps and wood files and they get the job done. Sandpaper and scrapers as well.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Tele-Holic

Safety-planer to get the thickness, then spokeshave, chisels and my small planes. Bare minimum would be my block plane and a 1 inch chisel - both scary sharp. Cabinet scraper and sandpaper.

You pretty much need those tools anyway so if you don't have them its time to break down and buy them.

8. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I use an angle grinder then finish shaping with an orbital sander.
    It makes a big messy sawdust cloud but it sure is fast.

9. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Depends on your skills.

Gouges, chisels, spokeshave: I use them all, as needed. But I always use rasps and files, too. There’s no right answer; it’s a “whatever works” situation for all the different parts of the neck, the transitions, etc.

And no need for a “nice set” of anything. It’s just a rasp.

eallen likes this.
  10. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Regarding rasps, there are cheap ones and there are really nice ones. I have both #49 and #50 Nicholson Cabinet rasps and they are fantastic. They cut fast and leave a very clean surface requiring minimal clean-up.
    https://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=2778
    I've been fortunate to find a couple of them at estate sales. If they are a little beat up, send them to Boggs for sharpening. Some really persnickety guys send their new files and rasps to Boggs before they start using them. It's amazing what they can do for the performance of files and rasps.
    https://boggstool.com/
    Like I said I hit the estate sales a lot and I buy pretty much every old, quality vixen file I find, and I've sent a few to Boggs.
    file_vixen_flat_lg.jpg
    These are great for neck work to follow up the rasp. They cut like a rasp, speed-wise, but leave a finish like a plane.
    And like many of the others I use spokeshaves and small planes as well.

Rex

Mr. Neutron, PingGuo and old wrench like this.
  11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

Spoke shave, and a draw knive, plus a gouge chisel. Look them up. Fastest way to carve a neck. The old ones are better for the same price, made of higher carbon steel. Just have to learn how to sharpen them, or find a good sharpening service. I once carved a neck in 5 minutes - I was shocked, but with sharp tools, its so quick to curl the shavings, and with a good tool, its very controllable and intuitive.

Arch Stanton likes this.
  12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Make a scraper.

Example video, you'll find others with pretty much the same techniques.

Mr. Neutron and eallen like this.
  13. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

I have found the key for me is using whatever tool you are most comfortable with amd an do safely.

I am going to be an odd one in that I use a ross heavily. I got used to freehand powertool shaping in military aircraft production when younger that has stuck with me. I also use a 12"×2" sanding board with heavy grit, and orbital sander set on low RPM, and palm sander.

Eric

Mr. Neutron and Arch Stanton like this.
  14. Mr_Q

Mr_Q TDPRI Member

GPlo and John Nicholas like this.
  15. boop

boop Tele-Meister

Cheap rasp and scrapping with a razor blade, using long light passes, got me 98% of the way there.

16. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Micro plane. Goes through maple like butter. I finish up with files and a scraper..I sand with 80 or 100 grit with duct tape across the back of a sheet so it doesn't tear and do the "shoeshine". The concave scraper is really great for removing the hills and valleys and getting you to the contour you want..

SecretSquirrel likes this.
  17. aerhed

aerhed Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the duct tape trick.

18. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

IMG_9853.JPG

19. epizootics

epizootics Tele-Meister

It's kinda crazy how every time the neck shaping discussion pop ups, I hear of new ways of skinning the proverbial kitty. We could write a 500-pages book about making necks simply by compiling TDPRI members ways of doing it, and not part of it would be boring.

20. Mr_Q

Mr_Q TDPRI Member

Umm... What the heck is that?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

2 Headed Goat likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.