Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Alright, enough's enough...

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by DannyStereo, Aug 17, 2017.

1. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    ... can we just be done with the "reissues are crap" talk?

I'm cruising the CL and I see some ads for a old original Fender amps, and a couple have the line "get this for the price of one of the garbage reissues".

Yes, my 65 DRRI is NOT a 65 DR, and will therefore sound different (like most amps and instruments, it will vary from one to the next). Yes, it has a PCB, and is not handwired. Yes, it's a mass produced, run of the mill FMIC amp.

But if you can't get a good tone with a Reissue Fender amp, and if you can't keep one running for years and years with regular maintenance and care, the issue may be you and not the amp.

If you have an original, kudos and bragging rights to you. If you rock a Reissue, kudos and bragging rights to you as well.

There. I said it. Rant over.

2. No problem with reissues here, I kind of have one (CVR) and it does just fine in it's own right. I will admit, if I had my choice, I'd rather have one from the time period, but that isn't always feasible. So myself, I'm really happy we have reissues as a choice!

Give the choice, side by side with a BF/SF for close the same money, you can guess which way I'd go... and most would as well.

DannyStereo likes this.

3. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2016
    Hinterlands, USA
    Hey, those sellers just want people to buy into the idea that all the "good" stuff is vintage. Otherwise, they have to admit that they're just selling old, used gear...when new (possibly better) gear is out there.

nojazzhere and Richie-string like this.

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hear, hear! Everyone will agree with you, except Toto's Dad! He had the worst string of luck with a DRRI that I've ever seen. My DRRI is now ... 14 years old and runs great!

Richie-string and DannyStereo like this.

5. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Meister

Jan 6, 2017
    NWNJ

yes; the RI stuff is SO much better made than the poor quality stuff still working 50+ years later

^^^sarcasm

SnidelyWhiplash and thegeezer like this.

6. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    I bet Toto is down with the Reissues despite what dad says

7. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    I think that's great that those old amps are still rocking. If I ever get the chance to own one in good shape, I'll be stoked. But you gotta admit the average intermediate player buying a tube amp may not have the discernment to know if that sweet Silverface Deluxe has the original caps, resistors, etc. and whether or not those will need replaced - I've been playing guitar for 17 years and I wouldn't know.

True, you could take it right to a tech and pay the extra dough for a "facelift" of sorts, but with vintage amps going up in price year after year (even the Silverfaces, especially around my area) the average player MAY opt out for a new amp that may not need that kind of maintenance for years to come.

This thread was not meant to be incendiary, but rather to put to rest the animosity against current production amps based on the idea that they are "garbage".

Richie-string and t guitar floyd like this.

8. SomeVelvetMorning

SomeVelvetMorning TDPRI Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Gilford, New Hampshire
    So I got a vintage 1970 twin reverb because it was cosmetically beat to crap and thus cheaper than a new one lol. HOWEVER, I will say that, regardless of the reason, this twin sounds better than some much newer ones I've played recently.

J Hog and DannyStereo like this.

9. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Tele-Afflicted

Nov 2, 2016
    Arlington, Texas
    What people believe choose to believe is fascinating and disturbing. I recall when SF Fender amps were considered junk. You could buy them all day long for cheap, no one wanted them, and many made fun of them. Same for Japanese Fender guitars. As well with original EHX and MXR pedals. And now these amps, guitars and pedals are becoming quite expensive.

I wish there was some way to get some people to understand that these things are relative and very changeable. Go ahead, enjoy your cute little opinion and make fun of someone's choice of amp, guitar or pedal because you have some imaginary idea about how things are.

Sadly, these people don't see they are victims of their own opinions.

As an aside, my amp tech had a BF 65 Twin in his shop when I took my 65 RI Twin in for maintenance. We A/B'd them. There was only a very small, negligible difference between the two, which my amp tech and I both agreed would be largely, if not entirely due to component tolerance/variance. I'm fine with my RI, except that I don't care for Twins the way I once did.

10. Preacher

Preacher Tele-Afflicted

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D
    I myself have created four re-issues of my wife and myself. I love each one of them even though they are all a little different than the originals. Variety is the spice of life!

11. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    Lol you, sir, win the Internet!

12. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    Gah I love a good Twin... err, rather I WANT to love a good Twin. But I just can't imagine a scenario where I could even bring one to (in my own personal playing situations).

I also have learned not to judge gear in a shop, or even in my own basement. My amps sound and feel VASTLY different in:
    A) a larger room (church, venues, etc)
    B) when playing with others.
    C) in about a month or so. That's how long it takes me to dial in a new amp to fit my rig and to see if I will actually BOND with it.

Regardless of make, model, or how many times I've said "I'll never get rid of this," the moment I lose the bond with a piece of gear, I lose all qualms about selling it. Vintage, Reissue, handwired, PCB, trending on TGP... I don't care. If I don't bond with it, off it goes.

Piggy Stu likes this.

13. waparker4

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    But I bet they are wired point to point, not using cheap modern PCB's!!! :)

DannyStereo likes this.

14. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Holic

May 12, 2016
    California
    Eh we all have different tastes right? And different priorities when it comes to gear. I have a DRRI and pcb orange amps, they're fine. Vintage amps to me just seems like a deeper level of collecting than I can afford or justify. People are gonna hate on both new/reissue and vintage stuff. The world keeps spinning. People hate where products are made and hate everything about everything. Live and let live. People bash anything and everything. Happy fretting!

15. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    /thread

Lol

16. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    The key is speaker and tube swaps

17. thegeezer

thegeezer Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    West Michigan
    To each his or her own is my view. I had two DRRIs after choosing to not lug my old Twin Reverb around anymore and like TD, they each self destructed after a few years. I do gig quite a bit. I never quite got the sweetness from them I wanted either, but then I was used to using an old Twin Reverb for the previous 20 years or so.

I was lucky...I went through trying some other stuff and stumbled across a smokin' hot CL deal on a '54 Deluxe a few years back. About a hundred bucks of shop work and it's done me right for several years of gigs and literally hundreds and hundreds of trouble free hours. I'm expecting it to outlast me....about the same amount of service work has kept my old Twin Reverb going for 45 years.

I'm not picking sides but I'm sticking with what I know works.

Bluesdriver and DannyStereo like this.

18. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Holic

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    20 years or so ago, I was lucky enough to own a vintage BF Deluxe Reverb and a 63 Deluxe. (non reverb) A friend bought a DRRI (one of the earliest I believe) and we got together and A/B/C'd them.... all three sounded terrific. The non-reverb one sounded the MOST different, as might be expected. (as I recall, it had more clean headroom and punch, but that was quite some time ago) As far as the two reverb models, they both sounded wonderful....not identical by any means, but each with its own great voice. I would have been happy with either one. Eventually I sold mine...got offered TOO much money to turn down, and sadly I needed it at the time. I still miss it at times.

DannyStereo likes this.

19. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I was just talking to a good local tech about this issue.

He told me the DRRI'a actually have very, very well designed and manufactured PCBs. And that in his years as a full time amp guy he had never seen a failure which was caused by a faulty or broken PCB.

He went further to say even if the new handwired Deluxe Reverb was the same price as the DRRI he would take the DRRI. Because he's confident it will be better built and more reliable.

Interesting thought.

I happily rock the PCB reissues. They sound great to me.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
    Fiesta Red, DannyStereo and waparker4 like this.

20. waparker4

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Makes complete sense to me. A well designed PCB will yield more consistent results off the assembly line than an amp wired by a team of medium-high skill builders (medium-high meaning they know amp building well, but the best-of-the-best amp builders like David Allen don't work for Fender), I would think

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.