Alnico 10" Speakers: Eminence 1028K vs Celestion Gold vs Eminence Red Fang

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 63 vibroverb, Mar 11, 2019.

1. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's

I owned ‘63 Vibroverb RI with Eminence Legend 1028k’s and was a great sounding amp.

I also owned a Fender Vibro King with Celestion Golds. It was the first Fender amp that I’ve owned with Celestion speakers. That amp also really sounded nice.

2. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I own a '63 Vibroverb Ri also. For a long time, I ran a Jensen (Recoton) C10R and P10R. It was a great combo. I liked it a lot, never any complaints.

But, I had a pair of Weber P10Q's laying around. Their current equivalent is, I believe, the 10A125 or 10a100. They had been reconed by Weber and sitting around for a year or so doing nothing but collecting dust. So, I decided, what the heck. I threw them both in and I liked what I heard. Definitely a little later break up than the Jensens. Maybe a touch more efficient? The two alnico speakers are a great sounding! I have very little interest in doing any more speaker chasing with them. However, they were blown when used with a '69 Vibrolux Reverb. I am hesitant to run the Vibroverb at high volumes with these speakers installed. But, then, I rarely push it anyways. So, figure I should be okay.

I've used 12" Alnico Golds. I loved the speaker at higher volume. But, at low volumes, I found it mushy and dark (might have also been the 5e3 circuit it was installed in?). I am not sure of the 10" version is the same... or even if that is really indicative of that speaker.

I've got a Celestion G12M65 and absolutely love it! I replaced it with a Neo Creamback and love that speaker too. I'm actually really psyched to see what the 10" Creamback is like!

63 vibroverb likes this.
  3. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Meister

Not to side track this fine thread but I want to add to the 10" alnico discussion. When I was searching for an affordable speaker solution for my lil 5F2-A build I found a seller that was wanting to get new speakers for his old Fender Super so he was eager to sell the existing ones. They were old Fender/Eminence blue frame alnico's model 036457 from 1993. The paper former limits how hard you can drive the speaker but man for a little 5F2-A I haven't heard a finer speaker.

I would highly recommend these old speakers. I see them pop up quite often.

63 vibroverb likes this.
  4. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Are the 1028K's stout enough for loud gigging? Can they do loud cleans?

5. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I’m haven’t tried gig loud cleans with mine, now I’m interested myself. I haven’t noticed any breakup at moderate volumes.

They’re rated at 35 watts.

63 vibroverb likes this.
  6. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I have a pair in my Bassman (mixed with a pair of Jensen P10Rs) and they have stood up to that amp... I also had one in a 2x10 cab I used with an older Bassman 50. It was paired with a C10N or C10K, I can't recall which. It stood up to that amp and a few gigs, and loud practices. But, I wouldn't say I was pounding any of them full wattage all the time... More like, mid volume and every now and then hitting them hard.

I think in the VVRi, they give a lot more efficiency and so much better tone than the stock Oxfarts. But, I am not sure how they would compare to the Webers, directly. I imagine the Webers might be slightly more efficient (although Weber doesn't publish that info).

63 vibroverb likes this.
  7. 63 vibroverb

63 vibroverb Tele-Holic

Thanks guys, guess I'll just pick one at this point

8. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

Totally agree re: the 1028Ks I have 4 of the older, paper former blueframes in my Super Reverb. I keep the bright switch off and treble at 5, and since the SR has lots of low end(my bass is at 4) it's a non issue. IMO, THE perfect speaker for this amp!

9. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

I have 4 of the older 20 watt ALP blueframes in my 66 Super Reverb, and its TOO LOUD to gig! For me at least!

63 vibroverb and JustABluesGuy like this.
  10. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I think they're plenty stout to gig loud and proud. Where they break up on the dial will depend on your particular setup.

11. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I’ve been running 1028Ks in a VVRI for several years. They hold up fine. The tubes break up before they do.

12. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Holic

I just put a 1028k in my Super Champ X2, and it's exactly what I was looking for. Very clear and articulate, and bright without being harsh. It holds up when cranked (15w). Really great classic Fender tone. I almost took a gamble on the Alessandro, but I'm glad I didn't. A beautiful speaker, and a bargain at the price. I'm stoked!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.