Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Alloy used on knobs and bridge plate?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by atomfissure, Jul 17, 2017.

1. atomfissure

atomfissure Tele-Holic

May 31, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone might have information on what kind of alloy the metal knobs and/or bridgeplat on a the American Specials might be? I'm developing a theory that my long term dermatitis might actually be a nickel allergy. I have recently been using pure nickel strings. A practice I plan to discontinue immediately. I am wondering about the hardware though. Any info that would point to how much nickel might be in it, if any?

2. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    As almost all electric guitar strings use a lot of nickel, you might consider putting a set of acoustic strings on and see what happens.

Spraying the bridge plate with clear poly will keep you out of most contact as will using coated strings.

3. BryMelvin

BryMelvin Tele-Afflicted

Jan 4, 2014
    Arivaca AZ
    It looks like the Fender Vintage style bridge plate and the neck pickup cover are definitely nickel containing from what info I have here. So as a minimum I would remove the bridge clear coat it and put on coated or acoustic bronze strings

atomfissure likes this.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. luckett

luckett Tele-Afflicted

Jun 14, 2011
    It's probably going to be plated in either nickel or chrome. The difference in appearance is subtle, with nickel having a lightly more yellow hue than chrome. And chrome plating is often applied over nickel so even the chrome could wear thru exposing some nickel.

atomfissure likes this.

6. acrylicsuperman

acrylicsuperman Tele-Holic

Nov 17, 2010
    Arizona
    Also, keep in mind that if you are running an alnico pickup that is in contact with your hand, alnico stands for (al)uminum, (ni)ckel and (co)balt, and nickel makes up 15-26% of the magnet composition.

7. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    Could be frets which are nickel silver, generally an alloy of 18% nickel with zinc and copper.
    The Fender Pat Pend vintage Tele bridge 0990806100 is chrome plated as is the Hwy 1 'FENDER' stamped bridge.
    The common Tele domed knobs 0992056000 are also chrome.

8. poolshark

poolshark Tele-Holic

Mar 20, 2011
    Tallahassee
    Generally speaking, the only nickel finished parts from Fender are vintage style tuners. Almost everything else is chrome plated. As others have said, though, most chromed parts have a nickel undercoat, the frets contain nickel, your pickups contain nickel, etc.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.