Allergy sufferers, how are you doing this spring?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, May 21, 2019.

1. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I sure remember that feeling man. Before I shut the business down after 12 years, I was paying $1400 per month for medical insurance that was basically useless for anything except a major illness / injury. It sure doesn't seem right that you have to pay such outrageous costs for something that you really can't afford to use anyway.

I earn about a third what I used to bring in now working for the post office, but my medical cost is less than $150 AND it is actually useable. The best are teachers around here which get free medical for themselves...one hell of a benefit.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

For the vast majority of seasonal allergy sufferers, generic versions of Claritin, Zyrtec, and Flonase should dramatically improve symptoms at
    very affordable cost. Less than the cost of a cup of coffee per day to breathe easy and clear. These have absolutely minimal side effects. If you're willing to
    take aspirin, ibuprofen, acetominophen, etc., you owe it to yourself to avail yourself of affordable, modern medicine rather than suffer needlessly.

Also an FYI-- these non-drowsy antihistamines also are very helpful in reducing the symptoms of the common cold, which is also a histamine response. In the case
    of a cold, the immune system is responding to a bona fide viral invasion. In the case of allergies, the same immune system is kicking in, mistaking a harmless particle (pollen)
    for something dangerous. But in both cases the amount of phlegm production is generally far more than is needed and leads to sinus congestion. (Due to our crappy-draining
    sinuses which are an accidental byproduct of our evolutionary trajectory)....

3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I hear what you are saying but it might be cheaper in the long to see a professional. Sometimes it is.

4. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Meister

I have gold medal allergies!

Worst of anyone I know.

I'm hear to tell you the past couple years I've used Kick Ass Allergy and it works miracles! 100% effective on me! I have to do it right away if I sneeze in the morning or feel like I'm gonna but it works every time!

It's natural herbal which normally doesn't work for me..

https://www.wishgardenherbs.com/herbal-remedies/Kick-Ass-Allergy-Seasonal-Rescue-34

ZERO side effects!

Poor guy at a camp site was going off on his and he said only benedryl works and he'd tried everything! One dose and he came back as if a miracle!

You can get it at Sprouts or Whole Foods for sure and Amazon.

Try it!

TEX

5. Recce

Recce Tele-Afflicted

Allegra D works great for allergies but the D part raises my blood pressure. So if you take it be careful.

I moved to northern Alabama which I consider the allergy capital of the world. I take Singulair in the morning and Zyrtec at night year round the generic versions. This spring my eye doctor upgraded my eye drops to something with a steroid so my eyes don’t look bloodshot. They looked bloodshot from the middle of February through Beginning of April when I got new drops. I also have over the counter drops for dry eyes because my eyes were running so much. It has been a very tough spring for allergies.

6. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

Worst allergy year in recent memory (central NC)

7. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Meister

Last year I kept getting sinus infections. The regular antibiotics were not killing the bug. Finally something worked but I was completely wrung out by that time. We're talking months of feeling OK to feeling like death warmed over. Finally one of the Drs asked, "What do you take for your allergies?" I said, "nothing" because nothing I'd tried ever worked. My sister, who's a Dr, takes Claritin, once a day and she suggested it years ago. I tried it but only if I felt allergic. It did not seem to work. New Dr suggested I try it again but every day. I'm a new man. The key is taking it daily, for some people. Walgreen's has the generic Walitin. You can find it on sale for relatively cheap.

8. Fatstring

Fatstring TDPRI Member

Mine started ~13 years ago. About 3 years ago I went to an allergist who recommended Nasacort. This spring has been almost like the trees arent actually blooming around me. Pill things never worked and always had side effects. Flonase was nose-drying poison. Go give Nasacort a try. I only use it for my personal peak season, April-May spring tree bloom so I'll cycle off it here before too long. Good luck sufferers.. piles of kleenex and sneezefests suck.

9. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Seasonal allergies hit me after 40 and I've used all the OTC meds including claritin when it was new and prescription only.
    When I got the scrip for claritin I was about to lose my job because doing carpentry when you can't see is less productive.
    Claritin was great for the time but now Zyrtec seems to be the best, and I get it in generic.
    I've also used Flonase, similarly good.

AFAIK it is key to use daily, as it seems to prevent the reaction.
    Wait until after the reaction, and you've already had an allergic reaction, so preventing it is a little late. Might eventually bring you back to normal but it's not like taking a pain killer.

Zero drowsiness or any psych/ mood/ energy effect.
    Flonase maybe gives me a bit of a nervous rush, but that might be a flashback to other nerve jarring nose products from my past.

The pollen falling now just about needs to be shoveled to get out of my driveway, but I blow my nose only every few hours. Miracle cure.
    My eyes do burn though.

10. PoorNoodle

PoorNoodle TDPRI Member

I’ve had allergies since I was 12. So for the last 30 years, from March to October every year, I would take Clarityn every day.

On an unrelated note I decided to go on a diet. And when I hit about 18% body fat...my allergies disappeared. Totally unexpected and unplanned. 2019 is the first year in 30 years that I’m not taking allergy meds...and I feel completely normal, no symptoms.

I’ve done some reading and apparently there is research showing that an increase in body fat can cause inflammation, and in turn allergies. Reducing body fat can reverse the process and remove the inflammation.

All I can say is it worked for me...

11. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

bad this year. Zyrtec helps me, but it's brutal, only take it when I have to. I do salt spray up the nose (Ocean brand) to clean 'er out and fight infection.

I'm trying to cut back on OTC meds, a friend suggested RIDGECREST HERBALS Clearlungs Extra Strength Capsules. 4-6 a day is what I've been taking and it definitely works, been weaning myself off Zyrtec.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/RIDGECREST/?tag=tdpri-20

12. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

"Tap water isn’t safe for use as a nasal rinse because it’s not adequately filtered or treated. Some tap water contains low levels of organisms — such as bacteria and protozoa, including amoebas — that may be safe to swallow because stomach acid kills them. But in your nose, these organisms can stay alive in nasal passages and cause potentially serious infections. They can even be fatal in some rare cases, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)."

13. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

This has been a really bad year here in Western Ky. I live just a few miles from the Ohio, Cumberland, and Tennessee rivers. It’s humid here all the time, and that seems to make the allergens worse.
    Cottonwood fuzz kills me!

14. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

My hayfever started when I was about 12; that's almost 55 years dealing with it. This year has definitely been one of the worst!!!

15. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

What do you mean by this? Side effects?

I tried Zyrtec last night, for the first time, in hopes of getting some relief. It seemed to knock me out, I slept through two different system alarms that I needed to respond to, for my job : (

So there'll be no more of that

16. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

It’s been horrible, and yesterday my wife who never gets sick had to take a half day of sick time and again today because her allergies are so bad. On top of that she can’t take anything for them she will be out of commission for at least 24 hours

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

17. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

Claritin reditabs for on the go, you don’t need water, and allegra

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

18. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

If you are just starting something like Zyrtec it may knock you out, but that may be because your body is finally getting good rest. That was my experience. It stopped having that effect after a few days.

19. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Some springs the allergies are bad but so far, knock on wood, I haven't noticed anything and I'm not doing anything for the allergies, either.

20. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Yup, that's what I meant. I usually get impatient and snarly, but it does dry me up.

The real point of my post was RIDGECREST HERBALS Clearlungs Extra Strength Capsules, check 'em out, read the reviews.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.