Allergy sufferers, how are you doing this spring?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, May 21, 2019.

1. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Wait till I type up my account of being bitten by a shark whilst using a Neti pot in a thunderstorm

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I sat down in a chair on our deck, put my arm down on the table and realized there was like a 16th of an inch of green/yellow pollen on everything.

And the frilly things coming off the oak tree were landing with a little “ploompf” of dust :eek:

I thought to myself “Self - you’re still not allergic. Guess I’ll check again next year...”

Because I do know people my age that have developed them in the last couple of years.

3. markeyd123

markeyd123 Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

4. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

We can't get winter to end here in Colorado. It snowed this morning. I had pneumonia, luckily caught early and minor, but the allergies along with it weren't much fun. I'm still waiting for springtime and it's almost summer.

5. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Getting the funk out of my eye is the hardest part...

6. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I got tested several years ago. They had to stick me multiple times with the histamine control just to get a reaction from that. Nothing, nada... turned out it was GI bleeding, severe anemia and acute kidney failure.

7. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Starting in my 30s I started getting seasonal allergies including mild asthma. It got worse over time until basically I had a bad cold that would last six months.

About 10 years ago I went to an MD allergist. I had scratch tests done to determine what I'm allergic to as well as what I'm not allergic to. I am allergic to tree and grass pollens,
    but not allergic to things like cat, dog, dust mites (which is a good thing). They put me on an allergy shot program where I am actually injected with the allergens. It started out with a minimal
    concentration-- the serum was clear as water. At my maintenanc level it now looks like a dark green tea. I get that shot once a month and I almost never have to take any antihistamines anymore.
    It's really great.

For folks with asthma they may start you with just a rescue inhaler (Albuterol aka Ventolin). But as it worsens and you find yourself using the rescue inhaler fairly regularly
    then generally it is recommended you regularly use a corticosteroid inhaler. This is an
    anti-inflammatory that specifically targets your lungs. For adults there really are no significant side effects to be concerned about. The problem with using rescue inhalers regularly is that if your
    airways in your lungs are constantly contracting and then being dilated by a rescue inhaler, over time apparently they stop dilating back to being fully wide open. This leads over time to chronic
    obstructive pulmonary disease. So the goal with using a corticosteroid "maintenance" inhaler is that this breaks the cycle of inflammation/contraction and then subsequent dilation via rescue inhaler.

Asthma, even mild asthma, is not something to ignore-- it can lead to serious problems later in life. Fortunately there are lots of effective medications with minimal side effects. Feel lucky that you
    didn't get this as a kid. The medicines are much better now and if properly controlled chances are you'll die of something else and it won't significantly impact your quality of life.

8. chris m.

For the scratch tests to work you have to be off antihistamines for at least 7 days before they do the tests...

9. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Something that has helped me tremendously...
    I buy pure raw honey that is harvested locally along with a jar of bee pollen. My grocer carries both, a farmer's market is also a great place to find the good stuff. Every morning I take a spoon of honey and sprinkle a few...and I mean a few, maybe a dozen...grains of pollen in it and ingest. Once I started doing that I could tell a big difference within a week to ten days. I've kept it up for a year or two now, maybe longer. If possible I try to take the light colored honey in the spring and the darker variety in the fall. (Bees produce light in the spring and dark toward the fall months.) Supposedly the pollen builds up your natural resistance. I don't know about anyone else, but it has certainly helped me. I used to take a allergy pill daily along with Benadryl for severe attacks and I haven't taken any meds all season. And I have used the weedeater, riding mower and push trimmer several times, along with helping my wife plant a yard full of flowers. I'm not advising anyone to do what I did, just sharing what worked for me. :)

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    lineboat likes this.
  10. marcflores

marcflores Tele-Meister

I've had horrible allergies and asthma my whole life. This year, I decided to try Flonase. HOLY CRAP. What a world of difference. It takes a few days to kick in, but now I'm kicking myself for living in misery for 38 years and not trying it.

If, for some reason, I get a day where my symptoms happen to break through, I'll take a Zyrtec for that day and I'm back in the clear.

If you decide on a nasal spray, just make sure you take it correctly. I watched a few YouTube videos on the correct way before taking it myself. Also,the generic brands from Rite Aid are way cheaper than the brand name Flonase.

Hope this helps someone out.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  11. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

Maybe in BC shark bites and being struck by lightning are no big deal, but here where Florida Man lives it's practically a daily occurrence. We've also had warnings here about swimming in certain freshwater ponds and lakes during summer months because of the presence of some of those aforementioned amoebas.

For the record, I've used a neti pot with good results. I made sure I used bottled, steam-distilled water, not tap water. Too many possible variables (regardless of likelihood) with tap water, including chlorination (sinus irritant), heavy metals and pathogens for my liking. When trying to fix something, it's best to make sure that whatever you do isn't causing a new problem.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  12. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

For me it's tree pollen about this time.

The steroid nasal inhalers are OTC now and very good. There's also OTC eye drops that I believe are anti-histamine. The two in moderation make a big difference for me.

Yes, but the squeeze bottle version is far superior. Easier to manage and seems better for nasal infections or really bad symptoms. I think those are called Nelli Med vs Pot.

13. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

To be clear, the danger is being bitten by a shark WHILE being struck by lightning.

Up here the equivalent concern is being attacked by a bear that is driving a snowmobile.

Stubee likes this.
  14. chris m.

Neti pot seems cool, but if you look at the anatomical structure of human sinuses you will quickly see that there is no way a Neti pot can actually clear your sinuses, although it is unlikely to cause harm, either. I'm reading an excellent book, right now-- Human Errors. The human sinuses shrank over evolutionary time, likely to accommodate our growing brains. As part of that process the drainage passages for the sinuses also became stunted and fairly ineffective. Other primates do not get head colds and sinus infections anything close to the frequency that humans get them, and this is largely due to our terrible sinus anatomy.

upload_2019-5-21_13-46-31.png

upload_2019-5-21_13-45-43.png

15. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

It's been a rough spring.

Our Golden Doodle has been breathing heavy and I took him to the vet today. The vet prescribed Claratin - she said that dog allergies and breathing problems have been off the charts this spring due to pollen and outdoor stuff.

16. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Evolutionary time? Reported!
    ;)

17. xgritzx

xgritzx Tele-Meister

I haven't had allergies in over 20yrs. this year they are murdering me. im in northern VA (just turned 40 btw). I imagine people with real allergy issues are suffering hard core.

18. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

It's been a very wet spring in the northeast. When I came out from work today my car was covered with green tree pollen. The pollen was so thick in the air that I could taste it. I'm not bothered much by pollen allergies, but at this level, pollen can be an extreme irritant to anyone. The spikes used by pollen grains to aid their being carried from place to place and to hold on once they get there disrupt mucous membranes whether you're allergic or not.
    upload_2019-5-21_17-18-44.png

19. chris m.

It's amazing how incredibly intricate and beautiful biological structures can be. Look how stunning the pollen grains are!

20. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

Yes, last year I had a headache for a week straight (and other allergy symptoms). Went to the doc because I figured I was dying, and he said my allergies were flaring up, I had all the symptoms.

He said "get yourself some Allegra D, and hopefully I won't see you next year". A couple tabs of that for a few days and I was back to normal. Just took two this weekend and seems to have knocked it out again.

Best of luck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.