Allergy sufferers, how are you doing this spring?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by blowtorch, May 21, 2019.

1. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been pretty miserable the last few weeks

It's funny, this stuff never bothered me at all until hit my 40s or so

2. Area51

Area51 Tele-Meister

Like crap:( Been a bad season.

Owenmoney and djh22 like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I experienced the same thing, never had any allergies to speak of until I turned forty five. Then I had seasonal asthma from them. I could set the clock, March tenth of each year for the next six weeks I had better be carrying an inhaler, albuterol was the one prescribed. Ended up in the emergency room twice. Then when we moved to our present location eleven years ago, my allergies started subsiding until they seem to have vanished. I hope I'm not jinxing myself by saying it, but I seem to be entirely over them. Since you never suffered them before, maybe as I did, you will someday just get over them. I hope so.

blowtorch likes this.
  4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I never used to be affected much by Spring allergies, but now that I deliver mail and have to spend the day walking through fresh-cut grass and past flower beds, I have been pretty miserable as well. Headaches, sinus drainage, irritated throat...the works.

Owenmoney likes this.
  5. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

Here in northern Arizona we've had a much wetter winter and spring than we've had in twenty years. Hallelujah. But it means my normally very bad allergies are miserably bad. Its been a rough spring.

6. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Worst year of my life so far. For the first time I had throat and chest pain besides the typical nasal and sinus problems. Started on Zyrtec and Flonase and have them under control after seeing my doctor. He wanted me to double dose which I did for a while. Previous to that I was only using homoepathic Zicam swabs to great effect. Now full on otc meds once daily.

7. blowtorch

Anyone got any recommendations for OTC meds? Prefarably ones that don't make you drowsy
    I've been just suffering through it, but I've decided it's time to get serious with it

8. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Afflicted

Zrytec and Flonase worked for me. No drowsiness. I am taking generic versions of both. Down to about every other day.

telemnemonics and blowtorch like this.
  9. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Afflicted

Well North West Indiana is now a tropical rainforest one day and more like Alaska the next.
    80's and rain followed by two days in the 40's with more rain.

Our pollen counts have triggered warnings for the last two months.
    as you can imagine lots of our good friend Mold too.

I really try not to whine about such things however... This year stinks ! Sniff sniff

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Do you neti pot?

[​IMG]

Wildcard_35 and imwjl like this.
  11. blowtorch

I have neti'ed. Although not in years.

Really I can't imagine that helping. Maybe I am wrong

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I tried almost everything offered OTC, including OTC inhalers. Save yourself some grief, seek medical help. I did much better managing my allergies and seasonal asthma after I gave up and went to the doctor. I mentioned ending up in the emergency room twice. My first visit is where I actually got proper treatment. My second emergency room treatment was brought on by stress, I knew better, but I didn't manage my medicine, and combined with the stress, I had the worst attack ever. In fact they thought I was having a heart attack at the ER, but I asked for a pen and paper and explained what was going on, since I couldn't talk because I was on a ventilator. After that I was much more careful about how I managed my problem.

I am thankful every day that somehow I no longer have the problem. I actually liked the winters because usually I didn't have any problems during that time. Again, just give up and go to the doctor.

13. kubiakl

kubiakl Tele-Meister

From the "Allergy Capital Of Texas", Zyrtec helps me. I didn't have a problem growing up but around 30 I started to get seasonal allergies. Glad to know it's common. If it gets worse and you need a decongestant then Allegra-D works well, I just wouldn't use it as regularly.

14. catdaddy

catdaddy Tele-Holic

Yes, you're wrong. Flushing out the sinuses is helpful in removing allergenic material that may be trapped there, and continuing to cause problems. Unfortunately, neti pots come with their own problems, including stuff like having a brain-eating amoeba kill you : https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...ba-death-what-water-safe-neti-pot/2263240002/

For my seasonal allergies, which occur mostly in Autumn, I take an old-reliable antihistamine called Chlorpheniramine Maleate. Doesn't cause drowsiness, and costs about $3 per 100 count bottle OTC at Walmart. The only downside to it (other than the usual caveats associated with antihistamines in general-read the package insert for that) is that you have to take one tablet every 4 hours, which is a bit inconvenient.

15. Antmax

Antmax Tele-Meister

I had never had allergies my first 30 years. It was only when I moved to northern California from the UK that I noticed more nose and throat congestion in the autumn and spring mornings. Only really had problems with tickly throat, coughing and streaming nose when trimming bushes at first but since I turned 40 I also began to suffer quite a lot of allergies.

16. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Tissue, Sudafed and Antihistamine, oh my. Just got over the flower pollen and now it's the tree pollen and weed pollen. YAY

17. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

RiverDog likes this.
  18. blowtorch

I can't afford that kinda thing. That's something I've learned as a contractor with insurance that basically would keep me from going completely broke if I had some catastrophic illness, for about 6 months or so :confused:

Toto'sDad likes this.
  19. Piggy Stu

Piggy Stu Friend of Leo's

Cetirizine Hydrochloride

telemnemonics and geoff_in_nc like this.
  20. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

That's just fear mongering. I'd worry more about being bitten by a shark while being struck by lightning. One advantage to neti pots is that it's cheap and drug-free. I stil claim it can't hurt. Unlike that electrified shark.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.