Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Allen sweet spot

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Guitharley, Jul 16, 2017 at 8:33 PM.

1. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Meister

Jan 5, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Hey gang
    So within the next 24 hours or so I am going to send the go ahead to David Allen to put me together a 1x12 Sweet Spot....20 inch tall cab with a red white blue eminence speaker.....are there questions I should be asking or options within that amp I should be considering?

I have vacation planned in 2 weeks and will leave the north country for the American border for some fun, and pick er up while I'm rolling thru Kentucky.

I hardly ever vacation on more then 2 wheels but am sacrificing a ride in the wind for this amp.

2. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's Ad Free + Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Michigan
    I think you are going to like it. I have an Accomplice Jr. David makes some great amps.

3. tele_player

tele_player Tele-Meister

Aug 9, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    I built my Sweet Spot 12" three years ago. Excellent amp. Consider buying a Tuki cover, and maybe a footswitch. I've also considered adding tilt-back legs, though they add a few pounds.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Meister

Jan 5, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    absolutely will invest in a cover....the footswitch? is on and off for reverb and tremelo only I understand....do you find you use it enough to justify the cost ( I think its 40 bucks)
    Thanks

6. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

May 27, 2010
    Seattle WA
    Great little amp. I assembled mine 8 years ago and it's never missed a beat.

The speaker is an Emi Li'l Texas; the handle weight is 28 pounds.

tele_player likes this.

7. bigben55

bigben55 Friend of Leo's

May 19, 2010
    Cincinnati, OH
    My next amp will either be a Sweet Spot, Vintage Sound 15, or a real BF/SF Princeton Reverb. Got the big amp('66 Super Reverb), the medium amp('66 Pro Reverb), still need the small amp. I'd LOVE to score a '66 Princeton Reverb, but damn they're pricey, going for more than either my Super or Pro, which I think is absolutely ridiculous.

8. tele_player

tele_player Tele-Meister

Aug 9, 2007
    Sacramento, CA
    I never use a footswitch on any of my Fender-style amps. On Sweet Spot (and Princeton Reverb), it's only needed to turn off Reverb or trem, which is done just as well with the knobs. On the two channel Fenders, a switch is needed to turn trem on.

9. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    I have a Sweet Spot 1x12 also and other than which output tube version like having the foot switch.
    I bought mine used and it included one. I can't really tell if it is an Allen supplied one or an aftermarket
    Fender one. Could be one is same source as the other.

I bought an aftermarket Fender cover that is just slightly larger width wise but works fine for my need.

This is a great amp. It has the 6L6 setup but former owner has a rectifier tube in place of the
    solid state. I like the Allen option for cabinet coverings and grill cloths with most at no added charge.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2017 at 4:38 PM

10. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    I have a Sweet Spot 1x12 also and other than which output tube version like having the foot switch.
    I bought mine used and it included one. I can't really tell if it is an Allen supplied one or an aftermarket
    Fender one. Could be one is same source as the other.

I bought an aftermarket Fender cover that is just slightly larger width wise but works fine for my need.

This is a great amp. It has the 6L6 setup but former owner has a rectifier tube in place of the
    solid state. I like the Allen option for cabinet coverings and grill cloths with most at no added charge.

11. mherrcat

mherrcat Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2013
    California
    I put Fender tilt-back legs on the Accomplice Jr. I built.

The Accomplice Jr. has a separate "Raw" control and no Tremolo, so I wired the Raw control to an RCA jack in the unused hole on the back of the chassis and bought a dual footswitch to actuate the Reverb and Raw controls. FWIW the generic "replacement" footswitch I bought introduced a lot of noise, so I returned it and got a Fender branded footswitch that didn't have that problem.

Another good option for a cover is from CoverAmp:

http://coveramp.com/index.aspx

12. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Meister

Jan 5, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Another good option for a cover is from CoverAmp:

http://coveramp.com/index.aspx[/QUOTE]

Right on...I actually have a coveramp amp cover and I think I may go that route for this new amp...The one I have is not padded and is great...I may go padded this time, as i find I actually am transporting my amp around more then I ever thought I would.

13. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

Apr 24, 2003
    WNY, USA
    I built my V-18 (Sweet Spot) 10 years ago. When I compare it to a PRRI there is no comparison. The Allen sounds so refined and professional (think hi-fi) sounding it's unreal that I built my favorite amp.

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    that is one heavy handle ;)

unixfish likes this.

15. Guitharley

Guitharley Tele-Meister

Jan 5, 2009
    Ontario Canada
    Ordered.......with a red jewel light, cream barrel knobs .........and an extra light handle

16. Beaubs

Beaubs TDPRI Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Blaine MN
    I too own a Sweet Spot - built by David Allen in 2011. I have had many other amps come and go over the years but this one is a mainstay, a gem. I run 6L6 tubes and a 12" Rajin Cajun. you will love your choice.

Beaubs

17. tombm3

tombm3 Tele-Holic

Apr 24, 2003
    WNY, USA
    This was my first build. I remember being kind of nervous laying out that kind of $$ and not knowing how it would turn out. I opted for the traditional skirted knobs and a purple jewel. 6V6 tubes and a 12" RW&Blues speaker.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017 at 12:14 AM

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.