Allan Holdsworth article.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dlew919, Jun 19, 2019.

1. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

2. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks.
    That was nothing short of Brilliant!

dlew919 likes this.
  3. dlew919

dlew919 Poster Extraordinaire

Many thanks. Glad you enjoyed it.

4. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Holic

Great article.

dlew919 likes this.
  5. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

I haven't listened to Holdsworth in years, but your article has brought me back. Forgot how much Eric Johnson's chording and piano style picking was influenced by Alan. That song Home sounds just like many recent EJ tunes.

dlew919 likes this.
  6. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

Here is a track from the first band he played in his style always remained similar but was fast even at that time.

SecretSquirrel and dlew919 like this.
  7. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

very informative and very well written! thanks.

dlew919 likes this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks!
    I saw him with Brufkrd at the Armadillo.
    Mesmerizing!

dlew919 likes this.
  9. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Saw him with Gary Husband on drums at the U of M Student Union for the Metal Fatigue record I think.

We had some pints with him at The Blind Pig afterwards. Tremendously nice guy.

dlew919 likes this.
  10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Humble genius.

dlew919 likes this.
  11. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

I saw him on the I.O.U. Tour. Carlos Santana and Neal Schon were at the show in SF. Carlos was paying close attention the entire night. Neal talked to hotties incessantly, never looked ar Holdsworth.

dlew919 likes this.
  12. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

dlew919 likes this.
  13. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

Nice. Learned a few things I hadn't known before. Funny, I wasn't a huge fan, yet I was. I've only learned one song by him ("Home") and don't think I've ever learned a solo by him. I've only owned maybe five or six albums or CD's by him over the years. Yet he's the only technically inclined guitarist I can listen to without getting tired of. His rhythm playing, use of chorus, delay and volume pedal were and are a huge influence.

My wife and I had the pleasure of meeting him once. Someone I knew who was a music equipment dealer, was going to have a booth at the Arlington guitar show. Allan was going to be there, just playing and demoing gear. This person I knew was friends with Allan, and would provide him amps and any other gear needed when Allan would be in town, so he told me to come by as I should meet him. Allan was friendly, completely unassuming and humble. Just completely down to earth and funny, too. Amusingly, my wife spent more time talking with him than I did. I figured he didn't want to talk shop, and I was somewhat overwhelmed by meeting him. My wife has a healthy sense of humor, and just talked with him about 'stuff' and had Allan laughing and joking around. He was completely open and receptive. I've met many guitarists at these shows over the years. Almost all are not like this, the only exception was John Jorgenson.

This same person I knew, sold me one of Allan's load resistors. I had no idea that Allan Holdsworth had that kind of skill and understanding of electronics. The Holdsworth Harness wasn't readily available, at least around here in the 90's. I'd tried some other load resistors, but the Harness was so far beyond all the others. You could not tell your amp was being loaded down, no sense that there was anything between the amp and the speaker cabinet. Apparently he was quite the inventor beyond the load resistor and the beer decarbonation device. If memory serves, he wired all his home studios, and built electronic equipment he needed to do things that he couldn't find prefab solutions for.

It is a real barometer of the society we live in that someone of such varied and high level talents goes almost completely unknown. It's not just a measure of the lack of musical literacy in our culture, but a measure of what our values are and how conditioned and trained the average listener is. So much great art and talent goes by the wayside because it isn't "accessible" and can't be milked for huge profits.

C'est la vie I suppose.

Georox and dlew919 like this.
  14. Ignatius

Ignatius Tele-Afflicted

Perfectly stated.

dlew919 likes this.
  15. djh22

djh22 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Great article! Thanks for sharing.

dlew919 likes this.
  16. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Holic

Genius, freak of nature. Quoting OP "no financial interest", amazes me they had to do a go fund me to cover funeral expenses. Based on his gift and the wonderful human he appeared to be, he should've died the wealthiest man alive.

awasson and dlew919 like this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Allan is a definite favorite, and was just an incredible musician.
    My first exposure was the first UK album, which blew me away. From there to solo stuff (Atavachron, of all things, being the next thing I found), to Bruford, and then finding Tempest and Soft Machine. Allan was always on top of his game, no matter the band or genre.

dlew919 likes this.
  18. Endless Mike

Endless Mike Friend of Leo's

He was. At least one of them. The problem is how we are taught to measure and think of wealth.

Your point about his lack of federal reserve notes, and the standing of his bank account still is valid, of course.

dlew919 and Marc Muller like this.
  19. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Meister

I had gone to San Francisco to see the Grateful Dead NYE Show in 1976. A friend gave me the key to his apartment. The record on the turntable was Tony Williams Lifetime with Holdsworth. I heard Fred and flipped out. I spent the next 15 years looking at album covers to see what else he had done or something new. UK, Bill Bruford, Velvet Darkness( his least favorite) maybe Gong? Then I.O.U. came out.

Yikes!

What a revelation.

Needless to say, the Dead were so so.

awasson and dlew919 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.