Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

all rosewood tele

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by burninglove, Jan 19, 2018.

1. burninglove

burninglove NEW MEMBER!

Jan 19, 2018
    gig harbor, wa
    Have a question about the all rosewood Fender telecaster. First launched in 1969....and most notably associated with George Harrison...I never know exactly if any of the originals (or the reissues from japan or Fen. custom shop these days) are chambered or solid body? Seems there's the gray area of 'some were, and some were not' solid rosewood. Which ones (if any) were really heavy solid bodied versions?

Stringbanger likes this.

2. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Welcome to TDPRI :)

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    Howdy!
    I believe the US made ones in the eary 70s were chambered a bit.
    Everyone I ever played, US or MIJ weighed a ton.
    The rosewood Tele is one of my fascinations, I gotta get one someday!

nojazzhere likes this.

4. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

Apr 20, 2013
    Northeast Ohio, USA
    Welcome. I don't know much about those - there was also are reissue in the last couple years - but the vintage ones are a bit of a rarity.

5. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

Jun 11, 2009
    Minnesota
    I've read that the originals were solid. Some, (if not many or most) of the CS are chambered. They were reissued in 2003 for a short run, but with alder body and rosewood veneer, and maple neck with rosewood board. Not very realistic. I bought a 2003 body and a solid rosewood neck for my 'Harrison'. It weighs 8lb 3oz and its beautiful.

6. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 9, 2008
    Ohio, USA
    Welcome to the forum !!

7. burninglove

burninglove NEW MEMBER!

Jan 19, 2018
    gig harbor, wa
    I just got a Bill Nash 2011 'solid' rosewood tele....and it is heavy (10.6 lbs). I have wondered about its Fender counterparts...and which ones, if any, are 'solid' rosewood. I guess weight is a individual thing. Some say 8.5 lbs is heavy for teles and strats. Though that may be a tad more than average...'hefty' fenders start at around 9lbs to me. And anything over 10lbs qualifies for the 'it weighs a ton...boat anchor' description.

8. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
    I must confess I have never had any interest at all in owning one at all, and I have a multitude of Teles.
    They have always looked a bit like bad furniture to me.

9. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Chattanooga
    They have on here at the guitar museum, it’s my understanding that it was solid and very heavy. Originally they said only 3 or 4 were made as gifts.

10. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Doctor of Teleocity

Jan 18, 2013
    West O' Philly, PA
    Welcome to the fold?

SB

11. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Holic

Feb 13, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    GC had one on their used wall here in Charlotte a while back. While I don't really feel the need, all I had to was lift it one time and then pit it right back on the hanger. My guess would be 11 pounds plus. My heaviest LP is just over 9 pounds, so......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.