Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

All of you Deadheads, take a gander at this.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Blazer, May 3, 2018.

1. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    There are a LOT of Deadheads. Some of them are rich. Most aren't, but enough are that they probably sold more than a few of those guitars.

-Ray

Wildcard_35 and Jakedog like this.

2. Marc Muller

Marc Muller Tele-Meister

Oct 10, 2006
    NJ
    He's playing banjo here too. UOTE="Ricky D., post: 8358977, member: 11807"]Jerry's best playing IMO was on pedal steel with the New Riders of the Purple Sage. Like this:

[/QUOTE]
    He

8eighty likes this.

3. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    I am confident that Jerry did not suffer from back pain.

4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    I don't think you'd ever know. The guy just lived to play music...

Ex-riverman likes this.

5. dan1952

dan1952 Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2004
    Anderson, IN
    Not much of a Dead fan, but I really like the "hippie sandwich" construction style. Have never owned an instrument made like that, but I would not turn down an Alembic bass made that way...

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut

Willie's just havin' an old man get off my lawn day... :lol:

Personally, I like the Alembic, but yeah, I'd look pretty silly sittin' on my porch with that thing. Clint would make fun of me, for sure. "Are you gonna play that thing, or just look at it?"

7. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    I don't know about "nearly everyone", Ray. The late 70s are easily right up there with the early 70s for me, and most of the heads I've known. Any era with Keith :D.

If I could play any one of Jerry's guitars, or one like them, it'd be Wolf, no question. Something about that guitar. I don't like scrolly inlays, but I wouldn't exactly dig 'em out... especially if I was only borrowing it. :twisted:

Jakedog, teleswisster and Ex-riverman like this.

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    For me ? That stock 50’s Strat at Veneta

JackStraw, Wally, KCJonez and 5 others like this.

9. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    that is a gorgeous inlay...who is worthy to wield such an ax?

10. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Well, that could very well be...but as much as I enjoy(ed) Jerry's playing and the music of the dead...I have no attachment to any of his guitars...or anything oddly ornate and gadgety. Now...get off my lawn!:lol:

OlRedNeckHippy and moosie like this.

11. raysachs

raysachs Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

May 21, 2017
    Near Philly
    Well, OK. How about "more Deadheads than not"? I THINK that's safe, but I'm only one guy, so perhaps I'm projecting.

I was there for the late '70s myself and they were real real good. They got a lot tighter and more consistently professional (dept of redundancy dept?) after the hiatus. But they rarely took it out near as interestingly as they did before. They did occasionally - my second show (Mac Court, Eugene, 1/22/78) was one of the wildest second sets I've ever heard and it holds up REALLY well on tape too - or now on CD, they found a Betty Board and released it as Dave's Pick 23.

But my favorite era by far was the 72-74 stuff when they were down to just Billy on drums. Much as I love Mickey, they were a really different band without him, and I thought better for it. With him they were like an ocean liner that could get up a hell of a head of steam, but couldn't turn in a hurry if an iceberg presented itself. With one drummer, they were so loose and lithe and quick and maneuverable - like an amazing jazz quintet that could swing like crazy and turn on a dime.

But that's just me! ;)

Yeah, Veneta was peak Dead IMHO. Anything Jerry was playing then is all you'd ever need...

-Ray

12. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    He wanted to show his bone... er, something.

13. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    I love early seventies and late seventies. Can’t pick a favorite. When I think Early - I remember Help/Slip etc and have to give it up for the Late. I do agree that the only Billy days were special.
    Veneta, though, is special. I think it wouldn’t have mattered what guitar he played that day but that is my favorite tone right now. I attribute that to the sun blaring down on his fender tube amp on an exceptionally hot Oregon day. One of the things that sets this show apart.

6stringcowboy and raysachs like this.

14. moosie

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Definitely different with one drummer vs two. My experience over the years has been that both periods tend to be equally loved. Often someone will have one "very best" show in one era, but MORE runner-up shows in the other. But then the next guy is the opposite.

I like it all, but I still miss Keith.

Jakedog and raysachs like this.

15. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Gosh, I agree completely, what a GREAT sound he had going there!

Jakedog likes this.

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    I think it's ironic that Alembic is making copies of Doug Irwin guitars. Doug did work at Alembic, but he was on his own when he built Wolf and Tiger.

Jakedog and OlRedNeckHippy like this.

17. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Well, if Irwin had any problem with it he'd probably would have taken action but nothing as such has happened to keep them from doing so.

18. CJM3309

CJM3309 Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Big Brown! I always liked his big semi hollow guild. Definitely a lot going on wiring wise, haha. I wouldn't even know where to start wirh all tbose knobs. Or how you get to the point where you decide you need all of that. Still cool though. 209081.jpg

Jakedog and OlRedNeckHippy like this.

19. KCJonez

KCJonez Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Feb 3, 2011
    Toronto
    That oregan show is one for the ages but all kinds of great stuff to listen over the years. I just listened to a couple of the June 77 winterland shows. Holy...the one with the samson>terrapin>dew>round and round Is sick. And the next night has other one>wharf rat>nfa>gdtrfb>jb Goode. And these don’t even get ranked with the best of the yr. So pick your favourites, but i bet you’ll find something to dig from any tour. Even 94/95 (10-1-94 is awesome...check it out).

Chip and Jakedog like this.

20. Ben-Zion

Ben-Zion Tele-Meister

Apr 11, 2017
    Louisville
    Maybe because late period Garcia couldn't fit INTO a pair of pants. Sigh.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.