Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

All kinds of weird: a Bowie inspired guitar build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jayyj, Nov 23, 2016.

1. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    Your best bet is to look for vinyl car wraps - they're easy to come by wherever you are in the world and there are thousands of options. I've had poor results with the metallic types - I suspect they require a very smooth surface and 120 grit sanding on mdf doesn't cut it (and hey, if I wanted to spend hours sanding I'd just spray the things) but the satins and textured versions work well. The side tape on this one is car vinyl.

The stuff I use is designed for furniture making so it's a bit thicker and I like working with it. It's not that hard to come by - I'm going to be a bit coy about the source because I'm starting to get orders for guitars and fiddles with these specific finishes so would prefer not to see too many other people doing them, but if you really want to use one I've shown on a build thread pm me and I'll pass it on.

2. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    This one was something I've been messing with for ages and it came together a bit unexpectedly so I didn't think to do a thread. I've had loads of interest in it so I'm doing another one this month to iron out a few final issues - I'll do a thread for it.

The tailpiece... I didn't want to just make a slab body and it occurred to me to do a raised section with a fixed bridge. My first prototype had an acoustic guitar style bridge that worked very badly, so this is take two. I wanted to try more break angle than on a conventional violin to see if it improved the performance of the pickup, and there are no fine tuners because the pegs are geared. I would have liked to put it further back but I'm limited by the string length. The tailpiece on the next one will be 6-7mm further back and I'm changing the bridge base design as the bridge on the current prototype has a tendency to creep forward when tuning but it's getting there.

I'm dying to make a six string as well, get right down into cello territory!

Bill Hubbard and Cheap Trills like this.

3. raito

raito Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nov 22, 2010
    Madison, WI
    Thanks! I wasn't looking for trade secrets or anything, just a pointer on what to look for. I really can't spray, so other finishing methods are interesting to me.

jayyj likes this.

4. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    I'm not a fan either! I can do it with decent gear but I'm always horribly jealous of people who get great results out of rattle cans - mine always look very crude and amateur.

The vinyl thing has worked very well for me, still involves a bit of skill to apply but you can do it anywhere, doesn't matter what the weather's doing and there's no sanding or drying time.

5. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    Ok, what's the swearing policy round these parts?

I may have killed the sustainer. I actually got it working for a brief moment then managed to break one of the trim pots adjusting the sustainer ouput. Fixing it means tackling the circuit board which isn't really within my comfort zone for electronics, paying someone else to do it or cutting my losses and replacing the board.

I do know someone who works for Fernandes's distributor, might be worth a call to see if they have a unit out of a faulty guitar or something they can do me a deal on.

6. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    USA
    I think it is permissible so long as symbols (@#$%^&) are used and not letters.

Could be an opportunity to learn. Worse case, you break it further. I used to do a lot of repairs on circuit boards and aside from good tools, all you need is patience and a steady hand. I probably wouldn't attempt it at this moment. ;)

Now that might be worth a shot, and could turn into a little gold mine. I know a guy at a local gov't office that loves doughnuts (who doesn't) so when ever I need a favor, I send him a dozen before asking. This will eventually become counter productive for me once he dies from high blood pressure / high blood sugar / stroke / etc.

Find out someone who works there and something they like (doughnuts, a specific liquor, etc.) and show up with gifts and questions.

7. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    Well, that's me sunk then!

Good advice re buttering up the guy at Fernandes though, I shall see what I can do...

callasabra likes this.

8. matmosphere

matmosphere Tele-Meister

May 27, 2015
    District of Columbia
    If you were anywhere near me I'd offer to replace the trimmer for you but it looks like you're prett far away.

9. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 2, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Way cool, that's a great looking guitar, it also had a Lindsey Buckingham kind of vibe with the shape.

jayyj likes this.

10. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    Thanks!

That's weird, I stopped updating these threads when Photoshop locked out all of the images and I couldn't face the work of migrating the hosting elsewhere - they seem to be working again now!

11. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2014
    Isle-of-Wight
    Can we see it with the lights on?

amazing job dude.

jayyj likes this.

12. Beats

Beats TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2017
    US
    Raddest guitar ive ever seen

jayyj likes this.

13. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Fantastic thread, and a great guitar build. Really glad it was resurrected - been a great read. I love the Dano style of construction, it's served me well on several projects, including my ply and Masonite Dano build.

Really love the vinyl treatment too. I've done wallpaper, but would like to try this someday.

jayyj likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.