Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

All kinds of weird: a Bowie inspired guitar build

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jayyj, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

This may well be the coolest guitar I have ever seen. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Gibson and jayyj like this.
  2. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    Thank you - that's high praise indeed! It's got to be the spirit of Bowie guiding it, I'm very uncool on my own!

A.B.Negative likes this.
  3. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

4. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    I got the back trimmed easily enough using a violin purfling cutter. It needed a few tweaks with the heat gun but it seems fine now:

[​IMG]

Next I need to extend the vinyl around the sides so that everything will be level when I do the binding tape:

[​IMG]

The binding is pretty simple: cut the vinyl into 30mm strips, apply heavy duty double sided tape, and push into place:

[​IMG]

The photos don't really do the binding tape justice - it's a really cool satin black with sparkles. I'll get some outdoor photos when it's finished. In the meantime, in with the vibrato and a quick glamour shot:

[​IMG]

Now to wait on some parts being delivered before I can pull everything together. I'm rubbish at waiting for stuff but there's a bench full of other things I'm supposed to be getting on with so it's probably for the best...

5. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Very cool. I've been catching up, and did not expect the wrap and binding tape. I like it a lot, even more so with the black hardware.

jayyj likes this.
  6. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Awesome build!

jayyj likes this.
  7. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    And we're back!

The plan was to get the neck finished and sprayed before finishing the body so that I'd have stuff to do whilst the lacquer was hardening. Unfortunately I changed the body colour, and when I test fitted the neck I didn't like the colour combination. Best laid plans and all that. It's now a black gloss with a few pearlescent sparkles.

Anyway, I got the neck on today. I need to touch up the holes in the back as there's exposed mdf on show, but the back comes off easily with the neck still on so I'm calling that a success.

[​IMG]

For some reason my tuners don't seem to fit. It took me a minute or so to spot the problem - anyone see it?

[​IMG]

They've been sat around for ages so it's a bit late to complaining to the seller, so I ground one of them down to fit instead.

[​IMG]

Barncaster and HairyChapter like this.
  8. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    Next up I need to get all the electronics on board. So far I have a SD Pearly Gates for the bridge and a Fernandes Sustainer for the neck. I hate the look of sustainers and the SD is a black/cream that doesn't fit with my colour scheme, so they're both getting covers. Unfortunately I can't put the sustainer into a metal cover (something to do with magnetic fields, means very little to me but that was the consensus on a couple of forums where people discussed sustainer mods. So, they're both getting plastic covers.

I bought some very cheap plastic covers on Ebay - they don't fit but I can mod them.

[​IMG]

Needs a little cleaning up but it fits.

The sustainer is going in at an angle:

[​IMG]

A couple of saw cuts and it's flush to the pickup cover.

[​IMG]

Just look at that rat's nest of wires in the background... I'm not looking forward to this next bit.

Barncaster, 5ofeight and Mike_LA like this.
  9. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    *subscribed*

jayyj likes this.
  10. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    This is wicked!

jayyj likes this.
  11. Eddie Bray

Eddie Bray Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2016
    Plymouth, UK.
    Great thread, loving the work that has gone into this.

jayyj likes this.
  12. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Love the bold creativity! I had been expecting something dark, mystical, or more Ziggy for the vinyl style, you took me completely by surprise with the croc pattern…

13. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Tele-Holic

Jan 26, 2012
    Troy, MO
    I hope there will be some sound clips of this guitar in action. Really cool ideas throughout. I am also interested to hear what a fingerstyle-biased Danelectro-loving guitarist sounds like when turned loose with a Jazzmaster trem and a Fernandes Sustainer. This should be a hoot.

This is a great thread; good detail, clear writing and a sense of humor along with a fascinating project idea!

jayyj likes this.
  14. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    All kinds of different going on right here. I'm really enjoying this thread.

I've been captivated from the moment I thought you glued up the body with your mdf templates. I just kept yelling at my computer screen, "No, you use those to route the wood!!!"

Unfortunately, there are no barriers to entry on this site. So, here I am.

oyobass likes this.
  15. timmyc

timmyc Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2011
    saint john canada
    Great build! i've been singing Ziggy Stardust since i started reading this thread.

jayyj likes this.
  16. u6crash

u6crash TDPRI Member

Feb 19, 2012
    DeKalb, IL
    Very cool! I love coming into one of these threads right near the end. It's like Netflix binge watching.

src9000 and jayyj like this.
  17. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    Thank you! I'll do my best with a demo - I always find it ironic that all the online demos of sustainer pickups consist of people playing a million notes a second, which seems to somewhat overlook the point... I'm planning to use it for weird soundscapey type music so endless sustain sounds like a good tool to have in the box.

18. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    To be honest, I took myself a bit by surprise with it - I had a different metallic effect finish in mind but it didn't really turn out as I wanted it and that croc material was something I had available that I thought might work. I love how it looks against the Blackstar icon and I'm sure Bowie would have approved... I can always do a glittery Ziggy themed guitar when this one is finished!

19. Marn99

Marn99 Tele-Meister

Nov 25, 2016
    Brookfield, WI
    Awesome, David Bowie is my favorite musician! I reckon this is a Supro dual tone inspired guitar like the 1961 white Dual Tone that he played on the Reality tour?

jayyj likes this.
  20. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Holic

Jul 13, 2014
    Manchester, UK
    I understand the sentiment - the first time I took a vintage Dano apart I found myself thinking 'What is this junk! How did they get away with it? ', then the more I thought about it the more I realised it's actually a pretty cool thing: Danelectros were designed to be cheap enough for beginners to afford but to play and sound like a much more expensive instrument - that's a great piece of design work.

Of course, it helps that I'm a miserly sod that doesn't like spending money on posh wood when there's a B&Q full of cheap mdf round the corner.

MM73 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.