Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

All I got was a Hug - (Long)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Lost_N_Austin, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2004
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    I went to Austin Bolt to pick up some shorter allen head screws for my newest Telecaster find. I'm trying to keep from shredding my strumming hand on the extra long saddle adjustment screws.

So I pull up and park and as soon as I get near the entrance, I spot a Louis Vitton zipper wallet lying in the parking space by the front door.

I snatched it up and headed back to show my wife what I found because she thinks I'm some king of an idiot for always finding stuff lying on the ground and I wanted to rub it in a little bit. So we pop it open to see what was inside and a quick check revealed about $60.00 in cash, about eight credit cards and a Texas Drivers license.

On the License was the picture of a pretty girl and a name that looked like a menu item at a Pho Noodle resturant.

That pretty much dictated what I had to do next. So as I head toward the bolt store, one of the guys that waits on me comes running by me and starts looking around the parking lot in something of a panic. He is talking to me but looking at the ground as he explains that he just got a call form a customer that thinks she lost her wallet. He's telling me how he thinks it is under her car seat when he finally looks up and sees me holding her drivers license in one hand and the wallet in the other with a big grin on my face.

So we go in to the store and he runs into the back and gives the young lady a call to let her know the situation is under control. He comes out of the back and says the girl just broke out crying and told him she would be right there to get it.

Sure enough, about five minutes or so later here comes this little lady and the guy points to me and relates that I was the guy so I got this big hug.

That's pretty much the end of the story but he did tell me before I left with my allen screws, that she had said there were two or three H.E.B. Grocery cash-cards in the wallet that were loaded with $300.00 each. He said this lady runs a communications company and buys several thousand dollars worth of nuts and bolts per month at Austin Bolt.

Not a bad way to start out 2013.

Lost_N_Austin

2. DTPBUSCHPILOT

DTPBUSCHPILOT Tele-Afflicted

Jul 21, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    I miss HEB. We had a spankin brand new state of the art gore-met one just built down in Bryan Right before I moved to McKinney...
    Oh and I would take a hug for that deed ( =

3. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    did you want more than a hug?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. blues dues

blues dues Tele-Meister

Nov 26, 2011
  6. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

May 8, 2008
    portland, or
  7. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I lost my wallet in Tokyo once.

I got a call on my cell phone from the local police box that my wallet had been turned in, which was great because the cab ride home was going to cost me about $30, which was all I had, and for some reason I couldn't get any more money until Monday (they used to have ATM holidays in Japan, or something like that... Maybe they still do?)

When I got to the police box, the Japanese cop pointed at a young middle eastern looking guy, and the cop said, "Here's the nice young man who turned in your wallet...", strongly implying that I should give the nice young man a reward...

I felt like such a heel. Any other time I would have gladly given the guy $100 bucks as a reward for returning my wallet with all my credit cards and ID intact. Unfortunately, there was no way I would have been able to get home without the $30 that was in the wallet.

I talked to the guy, thanked him, tried to explain... Turns out he was Iranian, didn't speak any English. We spoke in broken Japanese which the Japanese police officers found amusing, but I could tell the cops were disappointed that I didn't reward the guy. He could have just taken the money and returned the wallet, or he could have taken everything. Instead he returned the wallet, cash and all.

I've had several dealings with kind Iranians... Especially in Japan, but in the US and Europe too. Seriously defies the stereotype that I learned watching American TV in 1979. :idea:

If I ever find a wallet full of cash, I'm bound by karma to return it with interest. If the wallet happens to belong to an Iranian guy, you think he'd let me take him and his family out for dinner?! :oops: ;)

8. hekawi

hekawi Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 29, 2003
    greenville, sc
  9. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 25, 2008
    Sydney to L.A.
    I found a wallet just the other day. It was left in a shopping cart of a parking lot. I opened it to see a picture of an elderly man on a drivers license, a bunch of hand written letters to people ready to be posted, and about $200 in cash. (Amongst other things...I said I opened it, I didn't pilfer through it).

His address was just around the corner so I decided to drop it off. Ended up giving it to his wife who thanked me and said I was a "nice boy"....

Its funny though that for me, the most important thing in that moment was ensuring that it got returned to its owner, believing that hopefully if I ever lost mine someone would do the same.

10. Toriginal

Toriginal Former Member

May 30, 2012
    Canada
    A hug is far more than I would expect.
    Feeling good about it is priceless.

11. SamClemons

SamClemons Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 23, 2011
    Jasper, TN
    I am a surveyor and we find stuff on the side of the road occasionally. Not long ago I found a nice Ipod type cell phone, looked at the phone number menu, dialed "home"... I got the mother of some teenager, I could tell she was rather hot and some teenager was in trouble...

12. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2011
    Longmont, CO
    I found a cell phone when out hiking with my ex in the mountains. It looked to be a campsite type of location (small grove of trees, cleared area under, rocks to sit on, etc). When we got home, we called the number on the phone (there were only a couple in the contacts list). Turns out the teen had just received it as a birthday gift a few days before and the parents weren't too happy about it.

They came over to pick it up and left a bottle of wine in thanks (I don't drink but Rita said it wasn't very good anyway :) ).

Carl

13. Lost_N_Austin

Lost_N_Austin Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2004
    Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
    Hot?

Well, yes she was Hot, but she would also probably fit in my pocket. :lol:

I'm not sure this is over. My wife really liked the look of that Louis Vitton zipper pocketbook.

[​IMG]

Her birthday is Sunday.:eek:

Lost_N_Austin

14. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire

You know what you must do.

15. hemingway

hemingway Friend of Leo's

Mar 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Last year I found £45 rolled up on the ground at the spot where all the local drug dealers hang out.

Kept it. Spent it. Screw them.

16. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2006
    Chester County, PA
    In 2011, as I crossed the starting line of the Walt Disney World marathon, I spotted a cell phone on the ground. I somehow managed to scoop it up without being trampled by the thousands of people in that starting pack. Since I had plenty of time on my heands and nothing to do but run for a bit, I flipped through the contacts until I found the one marked "Dad." I called it, and the man answered expecting his daughter. WHen I told him I'd found the phone, he said he'd call her sister, who was down there with her, and give them my cell number. I proceeded to take plenty of pictures along the course of the race with her phone. When I met her at the hotel that afternoon, she thanked me, and i gave her my email address and asked her to forward the pictured I'd taken. She was thrilled to have the phone back and even happier to have the pics. Felt good to do the right thing.

17. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

Jan 31, 2008
    South Florida
    And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

I do believe L'n'A did indeed gain significant karma points in returning that wallet ;)

Hells yeah. A year or so back, I was with the family and we checked into a budget motel... I was checking the drawers for a property binder, the one with ten pages on how to find the fire exits and don't answer the door for strangers warning and where the pool is and what time is checkout... in the nightstand was some $460 in twenties. I talked to the manager and told him if anyone had been looking for cash left behind, and could name the denominations and amount, I would return the money. And I would have. They checked their records and it had been a good week since my room had been rented... the prior guests were long gone, and apparently didn't know where they had left the cash, as they didn't return to get it. The manager offered to 'hold' the money for me, but I didn't go for that :rolleyes: ... My guess is, it was cash related to a something-less-than-legal kind of deal, but that is only a guess. We had a nice dinner out that night.

A wallet is one thing... but if it's found money, it's all hearsay as to whose it is. Finders keepers losers weepers, step on a crack break your momma's back, crack that whip, nyeah nyeah nyeah! :D

18. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

Dec 28, 2007
    Rockledge Florida
    Someone stole my wallet at a truck stop. (PSA When paying tolls, ALWAYS put your wallet back in your pocket instead of on the seat)

The thief took my cash and threw the wallet in some bushes where an old mans dog found it.

8 months later, I get a package in the mail.

The old guy had thrown it in the glove compartment of his motor home and forgot about it until he got back to Minnesota from his tour of every state in the Union.

Oh well! Better late than never!

19. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    Honestly, getting it back with that story would have burned my ass more than getting it stolen.

20. tpaul

tpaul Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 18, 2003
    Vermont
    Indeed... and you must not, under any circumstances, give her that LV zipper wallet EMPTY.

It must contain something: tickets to a show, gift certificate to a spa, jewelry... something she'll love.

Trust me on this.

21. kelnet

kelnet Doctor of Teleocity

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    On a separate note, I don't think we hug enough anymore. There's something about a hug that just makes a person feel really good.

I helped a woman out of a snow bank a few years ago, and she gave me a really nice hug. Left me with a good feeling for days after. Last week, I reconnected with a good friend who moved to England about 15 years ago. It was so good to see him that I just gave him a big hug, rather than the manly handshake. It was better than a bunch of sappy words.

Yep, a hug is a good thing.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.