Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

All around good single coils?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Geniustoogs, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Geniustoogs

Geniustoogs Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2016
    California
    Hey! So I'm putting together a guitar for a friend of mine and he wants singles coils, similarly set up like a strat (though they will be mounted with rings, not a pickguard if that makes a difference here) what are some good all around single coils for not too much money?

2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Lot's of options, Fender, Tonerider, Rose, RH Factor (on eBay) , used there are even more options ...

Geniustoogs likes this.

3. cdwillis

cdwillis Tele-Meister

Jan 20, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I hear a lot of good things about Tone Rider Surfaris. They're supposed to have a bright vintage sound. You can find a complete set on amazon for around $125.

Geniustoogs likes this.

4. Geniustoogs

Geniustoogs Tele-Meister

Jul 2, 2016
    California
    Great, I'll look into those

5. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Friend of Leo's

Oct 24, 2012
    Oklahoma, USA
    Seymour Duncan makes great pickups and they have a huge selection. The web site has descriptions and tone guides to help you make an informed decision. I have a set of the Broadcaster style pickups on my second Tele and they are awesome!
    http://www.seymourduncan.com

6. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Meister

Jan 24, 2011
    Paris, France
    I have a set of Seymour Duncan SSL-1. That's supposed to be the basic vintage strat sound, and I can't tell nothing bad about them, clean, balanced, well made, not even really expensive. Obviously there are a lot of alternatives to them, other makers , any vintage flavor you can think of and at any price you like...

My love goes to the Wilde L-280 / 290, same price range, they are noiseless, and cover a wide range of tones, from clean to distorted. I'd think of them as more "all around", and overall more pleasant.

7. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I've got Texas Specials in my MIA Strat. I like them a lot.

dented likes this.

8. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Nov 29, 2003
    ohio
    I put Custom Shop 54s in my Baritone Strat. They sound great!

9. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    Texas Specials baby. Good twang for the buck.

Dismalhead likes this.

10. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Tele-Afflicted

Dec 6, 2011
    Eastern PA, USofA
    I like Bill Lawrence Micro Coils, they are very similar in sound to the old Fender Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pickups.

11. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

Apr 26, 2009
    Portland, OR
    I'd second or "+1" Bill Lawrence, (Wilde), Microcoils. Lot of Pick Up for not much money.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.