Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Alembic Stratoblaster: First build from schematic

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by Navigator, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Navigator

Navigator Tele-Meister

This is the first pedal I have built by using only the schematic. No layout. It is a simple schematic and the components are still on the breadboard. I still don't understand the part of the schematic dealing with the switch. So this "pedal" doesn't have one. But it sounded good.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  2. sirbergersworth

sirbergersworth Tele-Meister

I just built one with the ggg kit. Sounds great. It was my second pedal overall. I could never build one from schematic alone. I'm just a rookie with a soldering gun. Here is a pic of mine. I think I will call it "copper tone"
    How do you like the sound of yours?
    I tested mine then removed for painting so haven't really played with it. Pics before I took it apart and the paint without label and clear coat. I am thinking of a start knob.

Attached Files:

3. Navigator

Navigator Tele-Meister

Second pedal from schematic: Improved Stratoblaster

Here's my second pedal from schematic except I used the layout from Guitar Gadgets for negative switch wiring (attached). I am getting the LED to work properly with switch on and input plug inserted. If you unplug or turn off switch, the LED goes out. I get clean guitar in bypass mode but when I turn on the effect the guitar sound is diminished, i.e., it is less loud than when the effect is turned off; the pot works but doesn't affect the tone or loudness.

Anyone have any idea what is wrong?

Sirbergersworth: I like the paint job and the "Coppertone" idea on your pedal. I really liked the sound of the first one I did which is a simpler version of the Alembic Stratoblaster. I have to figure out what is wrong with the second one. I am a novice also, the pedals here are not only the first from schematic but the first: period. I am spending way too much time on them. I am curious to see the schematic for yours could you post a copy?

Attached Files:

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. sirbergersworth

I used the same schematic as your first post above. I believe I did all the improvements.

6. Navigator

Navigator Tele-Meister

Do the instructions or any notes that came with your kit say whether it is a positive ground circuit? The schematic above shows the negative of the battery connected to the tip of the input. This is still confusing me. How did you wire your switch?

From your pic it looks like:

1 jumpered with 2.
    3 jumpered with 7
    7 to input jack tip
    4 to pcb (connected to what?)
    5 to pcb (is it to circuit ground?)
    6 to output jack (to tip or ring?)
    8 to DC ground (or to DC +9v)
    9 to pcb ( to circuit input?)

In fact after looking at it it looks like the switch wiring diagram I have up there for PNP circuits.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  7. sirbergersworth

This is that layout that I followed.
    http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/pdf/ggg_sbb_lo.pdf?phpMyAdmin=78482479fd7e7fc3768044a841b3e85a

8. Navigator

Navigator Tele-Meister

I used the layout in the link and got it working on the first attempt. I wanted to use only the schematic as a kind of challenge but it was taking too long. Now I know what I was doing wrong though. Thanks for the link.

Next attempt at a schematic only build: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.