Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Aldi Tele

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Grodad, Dec 5, 2016.

1. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    $40?! Holy moley. I noticed there were a few left over at my local Aldi and ummed and ahed about it, but for $40 I'd be crazy not to.

2. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Mar 7, 2007
    the basement
    Good grief for $40 I'd buy two!!...lol

We get sooo ripped off here in Canada. You will never see a big box grocery store ever sell a guitar let alone a decent usable one like that for $40. You might be able to get a childs plastic toy guitar for that here...lol The cheapest Squier tele or strat at chain stores like Best Buy sells for $200 new.

3. telenutta

telenutta TDPRI Member

Sep 14, 2016
    France
    Aldi Huxley,I Like that!. Not spotted any here in France or Belgium Aldi's yet but am keeping my eyes peeled.

4. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I don't want to put the guitars at Aldi down now, if they'd have them here in Belgium, I probably would have bought one too. But since the original price was not 40 but 80 $, do you think the quality will be the same?

5. old guitar player

old guitar player Tele-Afflicted

Mar 7, 2007
    the basement
    I highly doubt the quality would be the same as a lower end Squier at $80. However for the sale price of $40 a person could add another $150-200 worth of better hardware, pickups and a setup and still have heck of a nice guitar for $250 or less. ;)

6. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    My thoughts exactly. The picture does show an interesting pickguard, though.

7. zenandzen

zenandzen TDPRI Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Wollongong, Australia

Attached Files:

8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Tele-Holic

Apr 28, 2016
    USA
    I'd like one of those to toss some extra pickups and electronics I have laying around into, but I have not seen any in the sates or anyone shipping to the states. I like the color.

I got a nice solid wood parsons bench with storage under the seat from Aldi's 2 years back, I get a lot of compliments on it and it was only $69. I've seen some nice stuff there reasonably priced, I need to swing by there more often it's only 10 minutes from my house. The store is always well stocked and organized and clean and they are fairly efficient with their checkout process. I can find no complaints with ALDI overall.

9. The butcher

The butcher TDPRI Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Australia
    Has anybody changed the ugly black knob on pickup selector switch yet? If so, is it a simple bit to change? I'm scared to muck with it so I don't know if it pulls off or is threaded? Any assistance appreciated!

10. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Selector switches pull off and you can buy replacements for them easily but you'll need to get one that fits an import style switch.

Something like this?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Barrel-T...276022?hash=item4b08ce29b6:g:v6gAAOSwzaJX5H1~

11. The butcher

The butcher TDPRI Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Australia
    Thanks, that's more the style I was after....

PS - Anyone in Western Sydney still looking for one there still might be one left for $70 at the Hoxton Park Road store near the KFC. It was there a few days ago, might even be cheaper now.

old guitar player likes this.

12. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Do you want to pick it up for me and ship it to the UK? I kid ;)

13. The butcher

The butcher TDPRI Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Australia
    If you like as a consolation I can post you that ugly top hat selector knob I'm about to remove!

14. Asmith

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    Not a top hat guy myself unfortunately.

15. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Oct 27, 2015
    Melbourne, Austraila
    Thanks for posting this. I've been reading through this thread every so often. I missed the original deal. Checked my local Aldi when there were reports of them still in stock going out for $40, but no luck. So I pulled the trigger on this one.

So on first inspection, the neck and body feel good and solid. One of the pots is very loose, no big deal. Plug it in and the neck pickup sounds really nice. Flick to bridge. Uh oh, no sound. I swapped the pickup wires to the switch and tried again - neck still ok, bridge still dead.

I sent a message to the seller giving the above information and they apologized but didn't offer anything else. So that's a little disappointing, but for the price I'm really not too worried. I'll do some more exhaustive testing when I get some time and let you guys know how it goes.

(Also, my wife likes the colour, so that's a bonus).

The butcher likes this.

16. The butcher

The butcher TDPRI Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Australia

I looked at these as well out of interest and noticed there was no makers mark on the headstock? I wonder whether these were all QC rejects as reports suggest that Aldi buyers either got a really great guitar or a pretty ordinary one. I hope it all comes good for you, and thanks for the key to getting wife approval on guitars - colour selection! My next investment may just happen to be shell pink, ensuring both wife approval and a good excuse if I'm too ashamed to admit I actually always likes shell pink!

Steve 78 likes this.

17. Steve 78

Oct 27, 2015
    Melbourne, Austraila
    I noticed that too, but the guitar that arrived had the 'Huxley' logo like the ones in Aldi stores. I suspect the one I got was returned stock due to the broken pickup and no-one actually plugged it in before sending it out again, but who knows. Luckily I know my way around a soldering iron so it's not a big deal.

Good luck with the shell pink!

18. Steve 78

Oct 27, 2015
    Melbourne, Austraila
    A small win! I took the bridge pickup out and it turns out that the coil was ok, there was just a break in the active wire leading from the pickup. So i replaced the wire and put it all back together and now it is working as normal.

I gave it a quick run through my mesa mini rec. The pickups aren't sweet - they're gnarly and raw sounding. Perfect for punk rock. The neck doesn't feel as nice as my warmoth partscaster but I'm not exactly sure why.

i noticed another small issue - one of the neck pickup screws doesn't appear to be screwed into anything.

So yeah, a few issues but for $100 it's a good beater and I'm pretty stoked.

19. fortj3

fortj3 Tele-Meister

Feb 5, 2017
    Georgia
    I like Aldi.
    I wish they sold the Tele in the US.

Guess I'll have to get a Sawtooth Tele from China Mart or Amazon.

I wonder if they're the same?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.