Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Aldi Tele

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Grodad, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Grodad

Grodad TDPRI Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Qld
    So I stopped by Aldi tonight on my way home, picked up some Weetbix, milk and honey, stopped by the guitar aisle and unboxed the tele. It was fully detuned so didn't really play it but first impressions are the neck felt great, high quality, satiny smooth and lovely lovely fretwork (felt better than my glossy thinline neck). I like the pickguard, but wasn't feeling it with the rest of the guitar with the cheap electronics and bridge (which is expected), and the shiny body paintwork smelled very fresh (I don't know why I smell guitars, always do.......but it smelt toxic plastic petroly. I was hoping for a string through body but for the price, this looks very good value. I may sleep on it and pull the trigger tomorrow, though I really don't need another axe. It can always make a nice xmas present for someone if I don't like playing it......

Has anyone played theirs yet, if so how is it?

bluepill likes this.
  2. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Or some Peaveys!

3. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

I can't get this guitar outta my head! I actually like the color and the pickguard.

o_O

RoyBGood likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Friend of Leo's

What does it play / sound like? From the pics, I've seen USA Fenders not as well made and actually owned one! I really like the scratchplate design and can picture it faded to a nice cream in a few years. If we get them here, will be seriously tempted.

6. simond

simond Tele-Meister

Dec 26, 2011
    Tasmania
    Edit: Wrong thread

7. bluepill

bluepill Tele-Meister

Jul 20, 2008
    st kilda
    Fkn delighted owner here from Bissy! So I got in a day late, and they were all sold out at my local Aldi, but my girlfriend works in a shopping centre and happened to have grabbed the last one there. Said she knocked an old lady over to get it: )

I wasn't expecting much, a project guitar that would need new tuners, full fret dress, new pickups etc...but have all those parts laying around and loved the colour and pickguard, so thought why not!

I didn't get to play one either, so had no idea how it would feel.
    ....turns out, I'll now be selling all of my other teles.

And no I'm not joking. I've been A/Bing it with a HW1 that I have here that has a mexican neck (didn't like the jumbo frets) and parts from a classic vibe, and the Aldi / Huxley plays and sounds better, it's even more intoned and is lighter. Also have a classic vibe body with a boat neck and a squier custom II which is amazing, but makes a les paul feel light.

Haven't touched a thing from it being in the box, other than a quick tune up. The frets are perfect, the setup spot on, all it really needs are new strings and the bridge pickup raised a tad.

So yeah, if you can get one, do it! I may have been super lucky (most likely) but even if yours needs work, the neck profile is amazing...like a peavey mike stern, V shape until the 5th fret, fattening out to a C around the 9th. Thicker than a mex or us standard, but no nocaster: )

Having owned around 50 guitars...and was recently living in Germany near Thommans with access to amazing cheaper guitars, this is hands down the best deal you'll find in Australia aside from the dude who runs www.artistguitars.com.au - which I have been gasing on too until this turned up.

rAldiCal!

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
    Grodad and capt pearl like this.
  8. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2006
    Western Australia
    I went to our local Aldi for the first time last week, my wife noticed the guitar and made the observation on how I would have loved it when I was a kid learning, she was right. They had a multi effects stomp box but and an amp but I didn't pay a lot of attention, as I was headed for the chocolates. I'll have to have a closer look this week.

9. Clive Hugh

Clive Hugh Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2006
    Western Australia
    Unfortunately this is another nail in the coffin of the small independant music shop by big business which disturbs me. Small business is a huge employer in Australia and no doubt in the US too. I would rather my dollar went to providing a kid with a music lesson than a CEO another holiday home. I don't own a small business but feel for them. Rant over.

10. Henry

Henry Tele-Holic Ad Free + Supporter

Jan 2, 2012
    Australia
    I agree with Clive; if you can afford it I reckon it's better to spend local rather than line the pockets of multinationals who make a virtue out of tax evasion but DAMN, I was in there this morning and am usually more interested in the centre aisles than anything else. I bet you I did a lap around an Aldi Telecaster. Would have bought it without a second thought. The principal problem with this kind of thing at Aldi is I could go there tomorrow and there'd be nothing...for weeks and weeks and weeks.

11. bluepill

bluepill Tele-Meister

Jul 20, 2008
    st kilda
    As someone who works in 2 small Australian businesses, and has a friend that runs a section of an Australian independent music store, can only say....the good independent music stores (that care about their customers and can adapt to marketing changes) will be doing just fine with or without Aldi.

I mentioned www.artistguitars.com.au before, I've no idea who this dude is, but I bet he sells a tonne of gear online!!

....you'll always be lining the pockets of someone somewhere, no matter what brand you buy. Do you think the CEO of Gibson, Fender or whatever large manufacturer doesn't take those same holidays?

P.S. If you buy a $99 guitar, you can donate the other $600 to kids for music lessons instead of buying a friggen classic vibe that's also made in china and now costs $700 in Australia, wonder who's making money there? (yes I own a CV too: )

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  12. bluepill

bluepill Tele-Meister

Jul 20, 2008
    st kilda
    If they come to the UK, do not hesitate to buy one (or 2) man! And yup, my HW1 although baseline US fender was not as well made...sure it has that nice finish everyone talks about instead of poly, lol, but I have been A/B testing them and the Aldi guitar sounds, and IMO plays and looks better. I may have been lucky, but from all reports the current batch are all great!

I played a original 68 (i think) esquire the other day at www.guitarbrothers.com.au that was worth $8K, and I dare say I'd pick this one over it...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2016
  13. SonicLife

SonicLife TDPRI Member

May 30, 2016
    Australia
    Any available in Melbourne? Also did they have leftys?

craigh9 likes this.
  14. w3stie

w3stie Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 19, 2010
    Brisbane
    I had to really stop myself when I did the weekly grocery shop at Aldi yesterday. They had one left in store. Youse blokes are a bad 'fluence!

15. The butcher

The butcher TDPRI Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Australia
    Hello all, just posting to say I always wanted a Tele but they generally fetch too much money in Aus and this thread convinced me to by the Aldi Tele. I think this is a rebrand of a Livingstone but never saw if they ever made a Tele copy?

Anyway my wife actually insisted it get wrapped and I can't play until Xmas, I might even wake before the kids this year! Previous posters - let me know if the honeymoon is over.

Mbechmann likes this.
  16. cauekk

cauekk NEW MEMBER!

Dec 7, 2016
    Sydney
    Hey guys, a couple of updates.

I took of the parts and here is what I found:

- Pickguard: Once I removed the PG, the Lipstick pocket is larger than necessary, suiting a P90. In general, all the cavities are well routed and no painting flaws.

- Bridge: No marks on the finish, looks the finish was well curated before assembling.

- Cavity Control: Long wires, they could be economical in this, but it's ok. Cheap Electronics.

- Neck Pocket: in the outside, the neck pocket is tight, no spaces, but below the PG you can see some drill marks, nothing noticeable when all assembled.

I took this guitar to the an experiment. I will replace the electronics with better ones, reshape the headstock, mount a XTREM by GFS, put a 3-way toggle like the Custom/Deluxe models and wire like the Esquire, but with both pickups.

Any progress, I will keep posting. So far, the Honeymoon is still on!

Cheers!

Asmith and The butcher like this.
  17. Asmith

Asmith Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Morley, England
    How do you wire a guitar like and esquier with two pickups, are both active in all positions?

18. salokin

salokin NEW MEMBER!

Feb 11, 2009
    Sydney Australia
    They are down to $50 now... A few left near me.... Worth it still?

Mbechmann likes this.
  19. Chris Martin

Chris Martin TDPRI Member

Feb 8, 2017
    Shellharbour, Australia
    Ok, first time posting here (although I have learned a lot by looking in now and then) but I could not keep this to myself ! I saw these blue Tele like guitars for sale in Aldi a few months ago, then again just before Christmas, and being a sucker for any Tele' I was curious. Previous experiments with Aldi 'bargains', (y'know $9.99 Chinese spanners etc) made me wary, and anyway, I have enough guitars. More than my wife has shoes actually, which can cause problems, but I was tempted. I was in my local again a couple of days ago and noticed they had some of the electric guitar boxes stacked in the 'reduced to clear' corner, but as I only saw them when I was on the way out, and thought maybe they had knocked a tenner off, I was not too concerned. So I was in again today for some spuds or something, when I remembered this time to check them and sure enough there were two of the blue Tele style ones left; also two of the black three pickup models but they didn't do it for me, but guess what? Reduced to $40 !!! Even so, chicken that I am I didn't know if I should bring one home as I bought a new phone yesterday AND we already had just paid out nearly a grand to replace the fridge that went '****-up' at the weekend in the middle of a record heatwave. Knowing we would be going past Aldi on our way to a lunch with friends I mentioned it to the lovely wife, and expecting another lecture, I was surprised by the answer "well you better get one then", followed by, "oh well, get two, I always wanted to learn to play too". So, sorry if any of you were hoping to find a bargain at the Warilla branch of Aldi, I got the last two, but if you are quick enough it might be worth checking your local branch; I guess they are not restocking that line, and just want to shift the leftovers quickly. How good is that? 02.JPG boxes.JPG

20. Chris Martin

Feb 8, 2017
    Shellharbour, Australia
    BTW, first impressions are very good, neck pickup very smooth and bluesy, bridge ok for some Albert Lee pickin' if you attack it right, but might need some help for my Roy Buchanan impersonations; I may experiment with some treble booster or overdrive before thinking about swapping parts.

old guitar player likes this.
  21. Chris Martin

Feb 8, 2017
    Shellharbour, Australia
    The name on the headstock is Huxley, and I dispute the notion that the good folks at Aldi just make up silly brand names, I suspect more likely this was a deliberate - if slightly obscure - tribute to the late great author of 'Brave New World' and 'The Doors Of Perception', Aldous Huxley who was also known for a liking for mescaline. Does this mean my Aldi Huxley guitar is destined for some psychedelia sometime soon ?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.